Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Bite Size Writing Challenges

The most difficult part of writing (at least to me) is coming back to it after a  dry spell. I find it so much harder to focus, struggle to put my thoughts into words… even when I do manage to write a few paragraphs, I'm so self-conscious/critical of my work that I often end up deleting it.

This is because writing is a habit. When you're not used to doing it, it feels strange, uncomfortable, and (more often than not) overwhelming.

My longest dry spell happened in 2005. I took a break for a couple months, which ended up lasting for seven years. I spent all that time psyching myself out, assuming that my inability to churn out thousands of words a day was a huge personal failing. I used to write that much. Why couldn't I do it anymore? Maybe I wasn't meant to be a writer, etc.

That, of course, was bullshit. I just had unrealistic expectations.

In 2012, I tried a different approach. I decided to write 100 words per day for 30 days straight.

WHY THIS WORKED

100 words is nothing. It's a paragraph, something I knew I could do no matter how out of practice I was. I felt good whenever I met that goal, which kept me motivated… I felt even better when I exceeded it. 246 words, 439 words, 680 words…

By the end of that 30 days, I'd formed a habit. I was used to writing every day, deeply immersed in my story, and I couldn't wait to keep going. Since then, I've returned to the challenge whenever I fall out of the habit and/or feel stuck – I've also shared it with other authors, many of whom have found it tremendously helpful.

Challenge #1: 100 Words per Day

Write a minimum of 100 words per day for 30 days straight.

Challenge #2: 3 Sentences per Day

This is a good option for writers who dislike keeping up with word counts and/or edit as they write. Just add a minimum of 3 sentences per day to whatever you're working on and you're good to go!

Challenge #3: 10 Minutes per Day

If you have a busy schedule or just prefer timed writing sessions, this challenge can work really well. Just put in a minimum of 10 minutes/day and soon enough, you'll start forming a habit.

Feeling stuck/planning to try one of these challenges? If so, feel free to post about your progress in this thread!

mmlf, The Gestalt Prince and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
mmlfThe Gestalt PrinceKrystalSlay

I'm definitely gonna try these. My real issue is that I think that everything I write is garbage, but if I don't even have a draft, how can I improve? You're right when you say it should become an habit, that's the most useful thing.

Heatherlly, mmlf and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
HeatherllymmlfThe Gestalt PrinceKrystal

Everyone thinks their writing is garbage when they're not used to doing it, which is another reason why writing every day (or at least regularly) is so important. It can do wonders for your confidence, especially when you get into a groove and words come easily.

Either way, just remind yourself that you don't have to share everything you write. It's okay to work on rough drafts, vague concepts, even absolute gibberish that will never see the light of day. You're always making progress as long as you're writing, and your fiction will always improve with practice.

If you do try one of these challenges (and I hope you do), please post in this thread and update us on your progress! That, too, can make a huge difference. I know I feel much more motivated when I have other writers cheering me on. 🙂

mmlf, Myrta and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
mmlfMyrtaThe Gestalt PrinceKrystal
Quote from Heatherlly on October 30, 2022, 4:38 am

If you do try one of these challenges (and I hope you do), please post in this thread and update us on your progress! That, too, can make a huge difference. I know I feel much more motivated when I have other writers cheering me on. 🙂

Ok rn I can tell you that the 100 words a day is being the best one! It's little but it's SOMETHING, and I'm getting my fanfiction on!

Heatherlly, mmlf and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
HeatherllymmlfThe Gestalt PrinceKrystal

Good for you! I'm so happy to hear that. 🙂

How many days have you been doing it?

The Gestalt Prince has reacted to this post.
The Gestalt Prince
Quote from Myrta on November 13, 2022, 5:42 am

Ok rn I can tell you that the 100 words a day is being the best one! It's little but it's SOMETHING, and I'm getting my fanfiction on!

That is great. I remember enjoying this challenge a couple of times in years gone past.

Heatherlly and The Gestalt Prince have reacted to this post.
HeatherllyThe Gestalt Prince

I've just figured out a system that works for me. I'm currently trying to write a novel, but I also like writing my current work on FFN and AO3. What I've found works, and this ensures that I write for both, is this: if I write at least one page for my novel, then my reward is writing as much as I want for my Snape work. For some reason, I'm more efficient at doing this than focusing solely on one on a given day.

I think I know why this is, but I'll write it here anyway to see if anyone resonates with this. My brain's like a rubber band that can only stretch so far in one direction; by relaxing it and pulling it in a different direction, it helps prevent burnout and writer's block.

Heatherlly, mmlf and Krystal have reacted to this post.
HeatherllymmlfKrystal

I think the available neuroscience research supports that idea, GS. Nice switch-up between original work and Snape work.

Heatherlly, The Gestalt Prince and Krystal have reacted to this post.
HeatherllyThe Gestalt PrinceKrystal

That's awesome, @thegestaltprince. I'm so glad you found a system that works!

Unfortunately, I have the opposite problem. The more writing projects I'm working on at a time, the more frazzled/unmotivated I feel. That's one of the reasons I was so glad to finally finish Non Omnis Moriar a couple months ago – I'd spent five years switching between two stories, and it was a constant struggle.

Now that I'm focused exclusively on Veritas Omnia Vincit, I'm having a much easier time. I can stay in that headspace, which is crucial for me when it comes to avoiding writer's block.

IMO, this is the most fascinating (and challenging) thing about being a writer. There's really no "one size fits all" approach – we each have to figure out different strategies that work for us, and those strategies often change over time. To be a successful writer (i.e. someone who keeps going rather than giving up), it's necessary to understand that and adapt/evolve as needed.

mmlf, The Gestalt Prince and Krystal have reacted to this post.
mmlfThe Gestalt PrinceKrystal