Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Discussion: Who did it better?

Just wanted to start some talk on the subject. " Who did it better? " That could mean a show that switched actors or writers so leave a comment and lets talk? Here's mine. Who did it better? Johnny Depp or Mads Mikkelsen playing Gellert Grindelwald?

Leave a comment about what you think?

The Gestalt Prince, Krystal and 5 other users have reacted to this post.
The Gestalt PrinceKrystalNaagaWinter's ShadeTimeLadyJamieDark AngelSalvyus

I liked both, but Mads Mikkelsen played Grindelwald exactly how I pictured him, whereas Johnny Depp added his usual cartoonishness. Mads' portrayal seems to me more like a person you'd believe is fighting for the right thing.

The Gestalt Prince, Krystal and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
The Gestalt PrinceKrystalNaagaWinter's ShadeDark Angel

I don't like sudden changes in the cast so I was quite miffed when Depp was replaced.

I liked him but didn't like his appearance. As @salvyus mentioned, it gave off too much of a cartoon villain.

I did like Mikkelsen's acting, though. He gives off the right charisma that people like him usually exhibit.

The Gestalt Prince, Krystal and 4 other users have reacted to this post.
The Gestalt PrinceKrystalNaagaWinter's ShadeTimeLadyJamieSalvyus

Yeah, I liked Mads Grindelwald more than Depp's.

Mads Grindelwald felt more canon compliant and a real character than Depp's. Mads also matched Jude Law's Dumbledore and their relationship.

The Gestalt Prince, Krystal and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
The Gestalt PrinceKrystalWinter's ShadeSalvyus

I was among the people that were mad that Depp was replaced. However, I really did love Mads Grindelwald. He also just had the look that I envisioned. I do agree Depp had a cartoonish vibe to his version.

The Gestalt PrinceKrystalNaagaWinter's ShadeDark AngelSalvyus

The initial casting change bothered me because Johnny's Grindelwald was really good, especially in the "Protego Diabolica" scene.

Mads portrayal made me his fan. His Grindelwald was exactly what I had imagined from reading the books. He also seemed like a good leader who was completely sure about his goals, and I really liked the relationship between him and Albus, which was missing in Johnny's Grindelwald.

The only thing I am disappointed in is that there will not be any more Fantastic Beasts movies. I feel the story needs to be concluded for a measure of closure, perhaps by a book on the Grindelwald War.

Naaga, Winter's Shade and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
NaagaWinter's ShadeTimeLadyJamieDark AngelSalvyus

I'll be honest, when I first noticed what the premise of FB was, I was really disappointed and my feelings were perfectly summed up with WTF?

The most obvious spin off to Harry Potter would have been the Marauder Era but I gave it a try and I fell in love with the characters, the plot on the other hand was not of much interest to me. I did get invested though and I don't like starting things without finishing them so it irks me that there will be no more installments.

I'm actually not surprised, the franchise was too problematic to succeed.

I only wish Rowling would simply publish the script for the remaining movies so anyone who is interested gets the  closure they want.

Krystal, Naaga and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
KrystalNaagaWinter's ShadeTimeLadyJamieSalvyus

I think Fantastic Beasts franchise fucked up by including Grindelwald war in the movies.

First movie was best because it was essentially Fantastic Beasts as promised by title and Newt Schamander's role. It was a hit and WB got too ambitious by including Grindelwald stuff which led to a it's downfall. Plot and too much of it ruined the movies and thus franchise was scrapped.

They should've made separate Dumbledore movies with him as protagonist and include Grindelwald as antagonist.

The Gestalt PrinceKrystalWinter's ShadeTimeLadyJamieDark AngelSalvyus

That's another reason. It deviated too much from its original premise. I think WB wanted to kill two birds with one stone by combining the two story lines and satisfying fans who wanted something else. Honestly, at no point have I ever asked myself what Newt Scamander was up to prior to the FB movies but I was curious about things like the first Wizarding War, Dumbledore's youth or how Voldemort rose to power and there were other people who were vocal about their expectations of what a HP spin-off should entail.

But a lot of people also boycotted the latest movie and that was the most likely reason. FB is also not very popular from what I have noticed based on how few authors try themselves on FB fanfics.

I hope the cast of the HBO series does not come with unnecessary drama😂

The Gestalt Prince, Krystal and 5 other users have reacted to this post.
The Gestalt PrinceKrystalNaagaWinter's ShadeTimeLadyJamieSalvyusZain

I loved the chemistry between Mikkelsen and Jude Law. And since their relationship was at the core of movie 3, I think he played that better than Depp (not that he had been given a lot of screen time with Law to prove me wrong).

For me, the Grindelwald-Dumbledore thing sort of saved the movie. I think Newt's story was pretty much over after FB1. I'd have liked to have experienced FB2 + FB3 from Dumbledore's perspective instead. The tea scene in FB3 really made me itch for more young!Dumbledore scenes where he is not the smiling all-knowing figure who stands in some classroom at Hogwarts. That's something movie 3 did quite well, I think. Partly at least.

The Gestalt PrinceKrystalNaagaWinter's ShadeDark AngelSalvyus