Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Discussion: Who should have died other than Snape?

Hey just wanted to start a discussion on who should have died other than Snape here's my choice.

1. Trelawney

2. Slughorn

3. Filius Flitwick

4. Lucius Malfoy

I mean the most useless ppl in the book Snape did more then any of these ppl

Heatherlly, The Gestalt Prince and 4 other users have reacted to this post.
HeatherllyThe Gestalt PrinceKrystalNaagaWinter's ShadeDark Angel

Snape did more than most characters to be honest. I'm not a fan of the death penalty, but I wouldn't have minded if Umbridge had ended up dead

Heatherlly, SanctuaryAngel and 5 other users have reacted to this post.
HeatherllySanctuaryAngelThe Gestalt PrinceKrystalNaagaWinter's ShadeDark Angel
Quote from Morgan on August 25, 2023, 1:30 pm

Hey just wanted to start a discussion on who should have died other than Snape here's my choice.

1. Trelawney

2. Slughorn

3. Filius Flitwick

4. Lucius Malfoy

I mean the most useless ppl in the book Snape did more then any of these ppl

All four of these people had pivotal parts to play in the series, so I wouldn't call any of them "useless". I also don't think that should be the basis for whether characters deserve to live or die. I mean, Dumbledore did more than most characters, too, but his death was a necessary part of the series. Meanwhile, Luna Lovegood had a relatively small role, but I don't think any of us would argue that she should've been killed off.

The Gestalt Prince, Krystal and 4 other users have reacted to this post.
The Gestalt PrinceKrystalNaagaWinter's ShadeDark AngelSalvyus

I don't think any of the mentioned characters should've died because @heatherlly is right in saying all of them played a role in the war.

Trelawney started the basis of Voldemort's downfall with the prophecy; Slughorn marshaled Slytherin students in the Battle of Hogwarts; Flitwick was an active teacher who protected students; and Lucius eventually gave up the names of Death Eaters who got justice.

I'm unhappy that Severus dies, but his legacy was continued by Harry, who named his son 'Albus Severus Potter' to honor Severus's sacrifices, his admiration of Severus's bravery, and as an act of forgiveness.

Heatherlly, Naaga and 4 other users have reacted to this post.
HeatherllyNaagaWinter's ShadeTimeLadyJamieDark AngelSalvyus

Death is an inevitable part of life and fictional characters in novels will taste of it as well since literature is a reflection of life.

Obviously, there are unlikable characters whose demise does not affect us the way a dear one would but if you're presenting a war in your story, it is to be expected that some or even many characters will perish. In war, both sides suffer losses and a skilled author will manage to present each one as significant. No one wanted Hedwig to die but her death was symbolic of the end of Harry's childhood and innocence. Fred, the jester died, because death spares no one be it young or old, Dobby was the only elf enjoying his freedom but death took it away anyway.

Trelawney despite not being the most skilled witch got away more or less unscathed exactly because she wasn't as involved in the war as others, Lucius is an opportunist and only got into a precarious situation towards the end and Flitwick could have died any moment as well but Rowling chose to keep him alive. Snape due to his position as a spy, had been walking on a tightrope for more than a decade and he was always the most likely to die whether we like it or not. Personally, I didn't mind him dying, what bothered me was the execution of it and the missed opportunity of a full circle moment given his introductory speech, I simply would have loved seeing him cheat death or at least die due to anything else but a freaking snake bite that was survived by another order member years ago.

In real life you don't see people die because they're unlikable or useless but because their time has come and Rowling did show quite well how random death can be especially during war.

The Gestalt Prince, Krystal and 4 other users have reacted to this post.
The Gestalt PrinceKrystalNaagaWinter's ShadeInterwovenMadnessSalvyus

Man so much to respond too. Welp let's get into it.

To @heatherlly

All four of these people had pivotal parts to play in the series, so I wouldn't call any of them "useless". I also don't think that should be the basis for whether characters deserve to live or die. I mean, Dumbledore did more than most characters, too, but his death was a necessary part of the series. Meanwhile, Luna Lovegood had a relatively small role, but I don't think any of us would argue that she should've been killed off.

Well I have to agree to disagree with you, because in my honest opinion if you as a author are going to make second to almost useless side characters and then write them fulfilling what you said they were destined to do in that story.... Then what?

They just collect dust but if JK (not saying she's not an amazing storyteller) but if she wanted to make the war arc more believable and crushing. I think she should have got rid of more uninteresting characters during that arc by giving them more agency by helping not only helping the students but also Hogwarts itself. I'll go more into depth in my comment to kris.

To @kris

I don't think any of the mentioned characters should've died because @heatherlly is right in saying all of them played a role in the war.

Trelawney started the basis of Voldemort's downfall with the prophecy; Slughorn marshaled Slytherin students in the Battle of Hogwarts; Flitwick was an active teacher who protected students; and Lucius eventually gave up the names of Death Eaters who got justice.

I'm unhappy that Severus dies, but his legacy was continued by Harry, who named his son 'Albus Severus Potter' to honor Severus's sacrifices, his admiration of Severus's bravery, and as an act of forgiveness.

Now I agree and disagree with you Kris because.

Trelawney was the only one really not affected by the war but her death would have gave more agency to her character then just telling a prophecy. And being bullied by Umbridge. Or being a mean teacher that seem to hate her job.

By showing her either protecting Hogwarts herself lessening the damage Hogwarts took in the war by protecting it so it could be a safe place for healers on the ready to assist.

Which would be a good reason her to stay out of the front lines and her death protecting Hogwarts as the last line of defense. Would have shown her forcing with her very will to open her third eye so she could predict the enemies movements which would have been awesome to see her doing this and being drained would have given her more character depth and growth.

Now Slughorn should have died trying to weaken Tom's defense as a way to make amends for telling Tom about the horcrux and we would have finally see Slughorn in action of fighting and holding his own against Voldemort. And protecting his slytherien students.

Flitwick should have died protecting Luna the student he didn't help who was being bullied and the other ravenclaw students.

Now Lucius should have died because Draco didn't suffer no backlash for his decisions not like Dumbledore or Snape had to experience.

His mom/dad lived which harry lost which Draco makes fun of harry for, he didn't see his friends get killed in front of him like George had to see his brother Fred.

Or his lady love like Snape and he didn't kill anyone unjustly just so he could please a man who would kill him just to live.

So he has gained no consequences or character growth for doing the bad things and getting no backlash.

To @darkangel

Death is an inevitable part of life and fictional characters in novels will taste of it as well since literature is a reflection of life.

Obviously, there are unlikable characters whose demise does not affect us the way a dear one would but if you're presenting a war in your story, it is to be expected that some or even many characters will perish. In war, both sides suffer losses and a skilled author will manage to present each one as significant. No one wanted Hedwig to die but her death was symbolic of the end of Harry's childhood and innocence. Fred, the jester died, because death spares no one be it young or old, Dobby was the only elf enjoying his freedom but death took it away anyway.

Trelawney despite not being the most skilled witch got away more or less unscathed exactly because she wasn't as involved in the war as others, Lucius is an opportunist and only got into a precarious situation towards the end and Flitwick could have died any moment as well but Rowling chose to keep him alive. Snape due to his position as a spy, had been walking on a tightrope for more than a decade and he was always the most likely to die whether we like it or not. Personally, I didn't mind him dying, what bothered me was the execution of it and the missed opportunity of a full circle moment given his introductory speech, I simply would have loved seeing him cheat death or at least die due to anything else but a freaking snake bite that was survived by another order member years ago.

In real life you don't see people die because they're unlikable or useless but because their time has come and Rowling did show quite well how random death can be especially during war.

Too true and I agree Angel but I just don't like how nobody of the Marauders era lived like I get it but really? Narcissa, Lucius, M. Pom, Sprout, Flitwick, Trelawney, FILCH!!! Come on why do they have to live but my boy Snape.😭😭😭😢

Krystal, Naaga and 4 other users have reacted to this post.
KrystalNaagaWinter's ShadeDark AngelAlbaSalvyus

I actually don't see any of those deaths being particularly crushing exactly because they're all characters we don't spend much time with.

Trelawney and Slughorn in particular always stroke me as cowardly, and I feel like what you've described would have been out of character. It would've been interesting to see, but some people just aren't ready to admit their mistakes or, what's more, sacrifice themselves for others.

On the other hand, Flitwick did enter the fight to protect the students. He didn't die. Because... maybe he just got lucky.

As for Lucius... I like your idea, it would've been a nice and cruel touch for Draco to end up in Harry's place. But at the same time Lucius staying alive makes the story that more realistic. Sometimes there just isn't justice, especially where rich people are involved.

I quite like how JKR chose her deaths – random yet impactful, so we get a taste of how merciless and unfair war is.

The Gestalt Prince, Krystal and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
The Gestalt PrinceKrystalNaagaWinter's ShadeDark Angel

Hmm I never thought about Trelawney and Slughorn like that but now that you mentioned it @salvyus I have to whole heartily agree with you. They were some cowards.

I just don't understand Flitwick surviving I mean we already had Minerva and we were already privy to knowing she was a boss but Flitwick always seemed to me at least a very weak wizard so for how my hypothetical Trelawney and Slughorn character development seems out of character for them.

So is JK's development for Flitwick kind of, out of  character cause if I remember. (Plz correct me if I'm wrong plz.) Of not getting a lot backstory on Flitwick's strength as a wizard or the care for his students. (especially allowing one of his hatchling's be bullied.)  So for him to be strong enough to fight a lot of death eaters while also protecting students is kind of, out of character not like we get with Minerva.

And I completely agree with you on Lucius but I just don't see how Narcissa was needed really. Cause let's be honest if Draco did somehow die she would have sold Harry up the river.

Krystal, Winter's Shade and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
KrystalWinter's ShadeDark AngelSalvyus

@profiction someone correctly me if I'm wrong but as far as I remember, Flitwick used to be a Duelling Champion. That's why I always thought that Severus knocked him out before killing Dumbledore so he wouldn't have to face him in a serious duel. So I guess he's the most useful as a defender of Hogwarts.

But again, death is random and that's why the Malfoys got away almost unscathed and a child like Colin Creevey died. Life is unfair like that.

The Gestalt Prince, Krystal and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
The Gestalt PrinceKrystalNaagaWinter's ShadeSalvyus