Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Fanfiction Advice: For First Time Writers

For all veteran fanfiction writers do you have any advice to give to new Fanfic writers. Advice that you wished another author would've given you when you started your writing journey like: do's, don't's advice that if you could start over what advice would you give?

mmlf, SanctuaryAngel and 7 other users have reacted to this post.
mmlfSanctuaryAngelThe Gestalt PrinceKrystalNaagaMorganDark AngelSlayJaySM

I guess my advice would be to just start.

Even if it's bad grammar or bad writing you got to get your feet wet to start swimming!

Fuck grammar WE HAVE NO BETA WE DIE LIKE MEN!! THIS IS SPARTA!!!

mmlf, SanctuaryAngel and 8 other users have reacted to this post.
mmlfSanctuaryAngelThe Gestalt PrinceKrystalNaagaDark AngelSlayJaySMArtichoke SpectreSalvyus

I wouldn't call myself a 'veteran' writer - I wrote a lot of fics and RPed a lot when I was 15-24ish, then stopped, because....life. I only picked up writing again in 2020.

Honestly...just write. Lots. You will only get better by writing whatever you feel like because you will only get better. Write oneshots. A diary. Recall a dream. Write out your feelings, to things may never be published. Write for yourself and practice.

Read as much as you can - you will be able to observe different styles and ways of writing, not to mention a chance to enhance your vocabulary.

Research - writing often comes with research, whether you are researching the cause of seizures, foreign currency, or even architecture or customs around the world. When you know what you write, you will feel confident with your work when you can accurately describe something. Researching can also mean watching educational videos, or finding diagrams/images you need.

Take breaks - Writing can be stressful. Going over your work multiple times does not always work in your favor. Take breaks and return to it, and you might come back with new ideas or a fresh perspective.

Be kinder to yourself - Those who write, or even draw, are used to being very self-critical with their work. But as a new writer, understand that you might make mistakes, or get something wrong, but that's okay. You will learn through your work and the feedback you will get.

You will only get better by practicing <3

mmlf, The Gestalt Prince and 6 other users have reacted to this post.
mmlfThe Gestalt PrinceKrystalNaagaSlayJaySMArtichoke SpectreCharlotteRhea

In addition to what's been said, I'll say write about what interests you. And have fun with it.

mmlf, The Gestalt Prince and 5 other users have reacted to this post.
mmlfThe Gestalt PrinceKrystalNaagaJaySMAlbaArtichoke Spectre
Quote from Morgan on July 7, 2023, 1:27 am

I guess my advice would be to just start.

Even if it's bad grammar or bad writing you got to get your feet wet to start swimming!

Fuck grammar WE HAVE NO BETA WE DIE LIKE MEN!! THIS IS SPARTA!!!

Multiple rewrites and edits should take care of grammatical problems. Betas should really be for big picture issues. I've been keeping a copy of Fowler's English Usage handy while editing my work since 2022.

I personally think that striving to use correct grammar, spelling, and punctuation at all times will put first-time fanfiction writers ahead of the majority.

The Gestalt Prince, Krystal and 4 other users have reacted to this post.
The Gestalt PrinceKrystalNaagaDark AngelJaySMArtichoke Spectre