Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Fanfiction Tropes

Most (if not all) of us have read fanfiction and have noticed writing choices that we either like or dislike to some degree. This thread is dedicated to such choices (or tropes) present in either Snape-centric works or just HP works in general. If you have a trope you want to list, feel free to share it using the following format:

• Trope: list trope here
  • Characters/Pairings (Optional)
  • Opinion: Like/Dislike/Mixed
  • Explain reason(s)

For the sake of being respectful and not bringing attention to anyone in particular (whether because of liking/disliking the trope), please refrain from listing authors or story titles.

mmlf, SanctuaryAngel and 4 other users have reacted to this post.
mmlfSanctuaryAngelKrystalNaagaWinter's ShadeDark Angel

Ok, here goes my attempt at it.

Trope: Enemies to Friends to Lovers (only specific to listed pairings below)

Characters/Pairings: Severus Snape/James Potter, Severus Snape/Sirius Black, Severus Snape/Remus Lupin

Opinion: Completely loathe it

Reason: I hate marauders and I can't see Snape liking either of them. He has specific and collective grievances against these individuals and I can't see him becoming lovers with them, even friendship seems a far-fetched idea.

mmlf, SanctuaryAngel and 6 other users have reacted to this post.
mmlfSanctuaryAngelThe Gestalt PrinceKrystalNamesakesnakeWinter's ShadeTimeLadyJamieDark Angel

Trope: Slytherin Harry, anyone from the Golden Trio sorted into Slytherin or Female Slytherin Harry

Opinion: love it when it is executed well

Reason: The possibility of Harry being sorted into Slytherin was something I was very curious about from the very beginning and I love it even more when it features a female Harry. Even when reading canon, I asked myself how Harry would have navigated his Hogwarts years among the snakes as the Boy-Who-Lived and if he were a girl I would see him sorted into the house straight away. Why? Girls are less confrontational and are often taught from a young age to mask their actual thoughts and behave appropriately when boys would simply get away with being boys. Instead of reckless Gryffindor bravery, I would see a female Harry be more cautious and sly. I regret Rowling choosing a male protagonist but I understand that back in the 90s, boys would be very reluctant to read a book about the adventures of a girl in a magical school and even if they did, it would have been their dirty, little secret. Harriet Potter would have never been as popular as her male counterpart and Rowling was trying to make money, not break glass ceilings.

I love it when Harry still manages to be part of the Golden Trio despite being sorted into a different house; eventually bringing the rival houses together and changing everyone's biased opinion of the Slytherins. Slytherins would be divided between those trying to stay neutral, obvious Death Eaters in the making and those supporting the light; that is so much more interesting than simply deciding that one house belongs to the good guys and their rival house is full of the bad guys or questionably good people.

The problem with the trope is that most fics devolve into Dumbledore or Gryffindor bashing, simply reversing canon and feature a Harry who defeats Voldemort but has such questionable morals and a cruel streak that he can't really be considered a hero or he simply  becomes the next Dark Lord. Harry either turns into a monster, or the snakes are all presented as misunderstood angels, it is the Gryffindors who are evil! There are  few in-betweens and that's disappointing.

SanctuaryAngel, The Gestalt Prince and 4 other users have reacted to this post.
SanctuaryAngelThe Gestalt PrinceKrystalNaagaWinter's ShadeInterwovenMadness

So, this one is more Snily-specific, but you might be able to apply this to other ships.

Trope: His Body is Still Warm (i.e., Lily very quickly goes from James to Severus, regardless of her opinion of both). Or, alternately, rushed relationships.
Character/Pairings: Snily
Opinion: Extreme Dislike

Reason: I have to preface by saying that I really don't like James. However, I can understand why Lily would fall in love with him, and I understand why she may or may not remain in love with him.

Now, Lily's relationship with James and her opinion of Severus are separate from each other; this is supported in SWM, where she is shown to explicitly show a strong dislike for both Severus and James. At the time of her death, I don't believe she cared too much about Severus, assuming they never spoke after she ended their friendship.

To my main point: if Lily and James separated, either by ending their relationship or by James dying, that shouldn't affect her perception of Severus; he's no longer in her life and is practically a stranger to her at this point. What I've seen in different fics is Lily, very quickly, falling for Severus after such a separation; this is worse when James ends up dying, which has to be one of the most harrowing experiences Lily could possibly go through.

I really don't like fics that go immediately from Jily to Snily in such a way, simply because it robs the reader of the character development both Lily and Severus could, and should, have gone through to reconnect with one another. It isn't even so much the length of the work as it is the in-universe passage of time; I could buy seeing Lily and Severus being together if it's established that a long period of time has passed, and the timeskip is filled in as the story progresses via flashbacks or perhaps explaining something to someone.

SanctuaryAngel, Krystal and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
SanctuaryAngelKrystalWinter's ShadeDark AngelInterwovenMadness
Quote from The Gestalt Prince on June 15, 2023, 12:03 am

I really don't like fics that go immediately from Jily to Snily in such a way, simply because it robs the reader of the character development both Lily and Severus could, and should, have gone through to reconnect with one another. It isn't even so much the length of the work as it is the in-universe passage of time; I could buy seeing Lily and Severus being together if it's established that a long period of time has passed, and the timeskip is filled in as the story progresses via flashbacks or perhaps explaining something to someone.

THIS!!!

The right pacing is so important in any story; this isn't only the case with romantic pairings but also Severitus fics.  I have noticed that the authors are often bullied into rushing things because they have dozens of comments asking them to hurry up and make everything well between the characters, now where's the fun in that?!

SanctuaryAngelThe Gestalt PrinceKrystalNaagaWinter's ShadeInterwovenMadness

I might be of slightly different opinion. While I am certainly not a fan of rushed romantic development in any Snape romance fics, I also hate painfully long slow burn which are being forcefully dragged to prolong drama.

SanctuaryAngelThe Gestalt PrinceKrystalWinter's ShadeDark AngelInterwovenMadness
Quote from The Gestalt Prince on June 15, 2023, 12:03 am

So, this one is more Snily-specific, but you might be able to apply this to other ships.

Trope: His Body is Still Warm (i.e., Lily very quickly goes from James to Severus, regardless of her opinion of both). Or, alternately, rushed relationships.
Character/Pairings: Snily
Opinion: Extreme Dislike

Reason: I have to preface by saying that I really don't like James. However, I can understand why Lily would fall in love with him, and I understand why she may or may not remain in love with him.

Now, Lily's relationship with James and her opinion of Severus are separate from each other; this is supported in SWM, where she is shown to explicitly show a strong dislike for both Severus and James. At the time of her death, I don't believe she cared too much about Severus, assuming they never spoke after she ended their friendship.

To my main point: if Lily and James separated, either by ending their relationship or by James dying, that shouldn't affect her perception of Severus; he's no longer in her life and is practically a stranger to her at this point. What I've seen in different fics is Lily, very quickly, falling for Severus after such a separation; this is worse when James ends up dying, which has to be one of the most harrowing experiences Lily could possibly go through.

So true! Seriously robs whatever character development for any of the main characters that are instilled pre-point of the fic. Unfortunate that it's so frequent :/

SanctuaryAngel, The Gestalt Prince and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
SanctuaryAngelThe Gestalt PrinceKrystalNaagaWinter's Shade

Trope: 'Forced together' in the same space.
Character/Pairings: Harry and Severus.
Opinion: Absolutely love!

I mean, there is nothing more hilarious (and rewarding) than seeing these two headstrong, stubborn, turbulent characters having to share the same space for some reason, and forcing them to at least try and be civil to start. Probably one of my favorite Severitus tropes to read and write.

Angsty/hurt/comfort (my jam) can be fun to explore here when suddenly all of their thoughts and feelings about everything is spilled to the surface. Whether Harry admits to his life with the Dursleys, or Severus trying to contain his spy role (and probably hating himself for it), or Severus has an emotional breakdown (understandably)...the possibilities here are just fascinating.

Gosh, I just love their dynamic!

mmlf, The Gestalt Prince and 5 other users have reacted to this post.
mmlfThe Gestalt PrinceKrystalNaagaDark AngelBitterBritInterwovenMadness

Trope: Enemies to Friends to Lovers

Pairing: Harry Potter/Daphne Greenglass

Opinion: It's overrated and I hate it

Reason: It's because Daphne is just a mentioned character name without any personality or involvement in the plot.

She is used by authors to give Harry a better girlfriend than Ginny plus she is a Slytherin. Issue is, she often becomes a Mary Sue who coaches Harry on pure blood culture and her family is often portrayed as good! Slytherin with no prejudices but it's not so in canon.

We know from Draco/Astoria that Greenglass family was as prejudiced and purist as Malfoys. True, they didn't not support Voldemort but many people don't get is there was a difference between being prejudiced and supporting Voldemort. People like Fudge who were opposed to Voldemort were certainly prejudiced. Black family supported Voldemort's ideas till he showed his true colours and Blacks stopped supporting him, many purists held their prejudices but hated Voldemort's methods. I definitely believe Greenglass were one of such family.

I don't have issue with Harry/Slytherin girl if they portray her in realistic way, but the way they do so is unrealistic and mostly self fulfilment. Another issue is making Harry non-canon compliant Gary Stu who suddenly takes to Slytherin girls and proceeds to abandon Ron and sometimes Hermione.

Heatherlly, SanctuaryAngel and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
HeatherllySanctuaryAngelThe Gestalt PrinceWinter's Shade
Quote from SanctuaryAngel on June 20, 2023, 2:04 am

Trope: 'Forced together' in the same space.
Character/Pairings: Harry and Severus.
Opinion: Absolutely love!

I mean, there is nothing more hilarious (and rewarding) than seeing these two headstrong, stubborn, turbulent characters having to share the same space for some reason, and forcing them to at least try and be civil to start. Probably one of my favorite Severitus tropes to read and write.

Angsty/hurt/comfort (my jam) can be fun to explore here when suddenly all of their thoughts and feelings about everything is spilled to the surface. Whether Harry admits to his life with the Dursleys, or Severus trying to contain his spy role (and probably hating himself for it), or Severus has an emotional breakdown (understandably)...the possibilities here are just fascinating.

Gosh, I just love their dynamic!

It will also force them to realise how similar they are, personality-wise.

Heatherlly, SanctuaryAngel and 4 other users have reacted to this post.
HeatherllySanctuaryAngelThe Gestalt PrinceNaagaDark AngelInterwovenMadness