Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Poll: Favorite Harry Potter Book?

What's your favorite Harry Potter book?
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's (a.k.a. Philosopher's) Stone
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Which one did you choose and why? Feel free to elaborate below!

mmlf, The Gestalt Prince and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
mmlfThe Gestalt PrinceKrystalJaySM

I chose Prisoner of Azkaban for multiple reasons. The pacing is really good, character development was on point, and the ending truly took me by surprise. It was also the first book where I really started to suspect there was more to Snape's character. Seeing him lose his composure was particularly striking, all the more so once I learned the back story/understood how he must've been feeling.

Remus and Sirius aren't necessarily my favorites, but both are strong characters who breathed new life into the series. Dementors were a nice (if frightening) touch, and I loved the introduction of Patronuses (Patroni?).

The only thing I didn't like was the Time Turner, mostly because it felt like lazy writing that opened tons of plot holes. That's a minor complaint compared to all the stuff I liked, though – overall, a fantastic book.

mmlf, The Gestalt Prince and 4 other users have reacted to this post.
mmlfThe Gestalt PrinceKrystalNaagaYampamJaySM

I remember enjoying The Prisoner of Azkaban when I first read it, and the ending took me by surprise as well.

I need to refresh my memory of these books with another binge-read, but on balance, I will probably always choose Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. This book had the greatest impression on me, not least because of the sense of finality about it. Harry's safe world is gone now, and he has to prepare for the final confrontation. So I was very struck by that, and I've gone back to it more often than other books.

More compact after Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, which was necessary. Great set-ups and pay-offs, including for aspects of the earlier books. The most important technique I enjoyed here was the indirect characterisation of Severus Snape using a book. When you come to think of it, it would make sense that such a creative and obsessive student would be Snape, but, as with his whole character arc, you're kept guessing with viable options until the end. Harry Potter's affinity for Severus Snape the student was powerful, even if Harry could not match Snape at Potions. It really showed when Harry was capable of doing terrible things out of desperation, like using Sectumsempra on Draco Malfoy.

The best scenes include Harry Potter discovering Voldemort's background, the death of Dumbledore, and the final confrontation between Harry and Snape. Honourable mention for the trust that Narcissa Malfoy places in Sanpe, the introduction to Spinner's End, and the wonderfully loathsome Professor Slughorn.

As for the love plotlines, I will have to reread the book again. That being said, I will never understand Ron's behaviour towards Hermione in this book. Yes, Hermione was far from blameless, what with that crazy bird stunt. But I still think that Ron's behaviour was worse, especially coming off the back of his meltdown in Book 4.

Not a major problem for me overall, since this one is my favourite.

I have to put in a good word for Chamber of Secrets, as that one still freaks me out!

Heatherlly, The Gestalt Prince and 4 other users have reacted to this post.
HeatherllyThe Gestalt PrinceKrystalNaagaYampamJaySM

The first book because of the nostalgia factor and holds significance for begining my journey in the HPverse.

Heatherlly, mmlf and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
HeatherllymmlfThe Gestalt PrinceKrystalJaySM

The Deathly Hallows is my favourite book and the Prince's Tale is my favourite chapter in the HP for completing the missing piece of puzzle in Snape's character and getting to know his true self which made me fall for his character.

Heatherlly, mmlf and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
HeatherllymmlfThe Gestalt PrinceJaySM
Quote from Naaga on March 1, 2023, 3:04 pm

The first book because of the nostalgia factor and holds significance for begining my journey in the HPverse.

I reread Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone back in January, and I totally agree about the nostalgia factor. I think the first time I read it was back in 2011, and I was instantly drawn into the world of Harry Potter. I've also found it illuminating to watch documentaries about how J.K. Rowling developed the first chapter, including the need to rewrite chapter one several times until none of the overearching plot was obvious. It's pretty fascinating how so much story was eventually condensed into what is quite a short book.

Heatherlly, The Gestalt Prince and 4 other users have reacted to this post.
HeatherllyThe Gestalt PrinceKrystalNaagaJaySMSalvyus
Quote from mmlf on March 2, 2023, 2:49 am
Quote from Naaga on March 1, 2023, 3:04 pm

I reread Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone back in January, and I totally agree about the nostalgia factor. I think the first time I read it was back in 2011, and I was instantly drawn into the world of Harry Potter. I've also found it illuminating to watch documentaries about how J.K. Rowling developed the first chapter, including the need to rewrite chapter one several times until none of the overearching plot was obvious. It's pretty fascinating how so much story was eventually condensed into what is quite a short book.

I voted the first book too for the same reason Naaga and Mmlf have stated.

Heatherlly, mmlf and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
HeatherllymmlfThe Gestalt PrinceNaagaDark Angel