Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Favorite Harry Potter Characters Other Than Snape?

Page 1 of 3Next

Mine are Lily, Luna, Harry, Hermione, Tonks, and Regulus. How about you?

mmlf, The Gestalt Prince and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
mmlfThe Gestalt PrinceGlacierValleyKrystalRobaku90

First of all, Hermione Granger. I have a lot in common with her: insecurity, swottishness, and on occasions, a short fuse. Like Hermione, I love books, and I tend to rely on those even when better resources are available. The answer is always in the library!

Hermione is incredibly loyal, even when she has nothing to gain from it. And obviously, without her assistance, The Chosen One would have been The Dead One. If my memory is correct, we see far fewer arguments between Harry and Hermione than between Harry and Ron or, of course, Ron and Hermione. I think Harry always had this level of gratitude and respect for her that made them stick close together throughout most of the challenges they faced.

So yes, Hermione is great.

Naturally, I love Harry Potter. He has such a fundamental sense of decency that when confronted with the shortcomings of his father, he feels shame on behalf of a professor who has made his life a misery since day one. That is very difficult for a child to do: accept the faults of their parents, especially dead parents. I also love Harry because he has qualities that I would like to have: confronting a challenge without overthinking and overplanning it. Being brave enough to let go and just think up ideas on the spot, to learn as you go. Harry is brilliant at this, hence the O in Defence Against the Dark Arts.

Professor McGonagall, because she represents (almost) everything that I respect about a good teacher. I like how strict she is, but there's a hint of affection for Harry and his friends underneath her stern attitude. And I think she was one of the few professors that Snape respected.

I also really like Viktor Krum. I have no real explanation for it (but as a Slavophile, I love anything to do with Slavic countries).

Heatherlly, The Gestalt Prince and 4 other users have reacted to this post.
HeatherllyThe Gestalt PrinceGlacierValleyKrystalYampamRobaku90
Quote from mmlf on September 3, 2022, 8:06 am

I also really like Viktor Krum. I have no real explanation for it (but as a Slavophile, I love anything to do with Slavic countries).

Uploaded files:
  • Golden-girls-hot.gif
mmlf, The Gestalt Prince and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
mmlfThe Gestalt PrinceKrystalRobaku90

I am rather fond of Luna, whom I feel is the character most like myself.

I also like McGonagall, Harry, Tonks, and Neville.

Heatherlly, mmlf and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
HeatherllymmlfThe Gestalt PrinceGlacierValleyKrystal
Quote from Michelle on September 9, 2022, 12:02 pm

I am rather fond of Luna, whom I feel is the character most like myself.

I also like McGonagall, Harry, Tonks, and Neville.

It's great that someone like Luna has resonated well with audiences. I think that Rowling often did a good job of making charactrs deeper than than they might seem on the surface. I loved it when Luna accompanied Harry to the Slug Club party and espoused an unintentionally hilarious conspiracy theory that made Harry snort his drink. Oh, and Harry loves Loony! This is all reminding me to reread HPVI, possibly my favourite out of the lot.

Heatherlly, The Gestalt Prince and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
HeatherllyThe Gestalt PrinceGlacierValleyKrystal

It's funny. I know people who dislike even the most popular characters (Harry, Hermione, Hagrid, McGonagall, etc), but I can't recall ever meeting anyone who doesn't like Luna. I think she's the one character that is pretty much universally loved, just as Dolores Umbridge is the one everyone hates.

mmlf, The Gestalt Prince and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
mmlfThe Gestalt PrinceGlacierValleyKrystalRobaku90

In Luna Lovegood's case, I wonder whether it's the sense of protective outrage you cana feel when people pick on her because she herself is so vulnerably blasé about it; the end of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix comes to mind. Also the fact that she tells these embarrassing truths, and it's fascinating to see how Harry, who is quite blunt himself, is often ashamed to hear what Luna is saying, especially because he knows that it's true. Luna Lovegood is also a victim of early trauma, having lost her mother to a freak accident, and again, the way she seems to understate that makes you sympathise with her more.

Heatherlly, The Gestalt Prince and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
HeatherllyThe Gestalt PrinceGlacierValleyKrystal

My second favourite character is Hermione Granger due to her personality, character and I see some of her traits in myself, just my outlook is more Ravenclaw compared to her Gryffindor outlook.

My other liked characters are Ron, Luna, Harry, Mcgonagall and Draco.

Heatherlly, The Gestalt Prince and GlacierValley have reacted to this post.
HeatherllyThe Gestalt PrinceGlacierValley

My second favourite character is Neville because I kinda identify with him. I used to be like him in my childhood and his journey kinda encouraged me to stand up for myself and I eventually went from a follower to a leader.

Perhaps, that's why I am kinder to the Peter because I once had friends like James and Sirius who bullied me and kept pulling me down. I was lucky to find better friends who helped me mature and stand up through support.

Heatherlly, mmlf and 6 other users have reacted to this post.
HeatherllymmlfThe Gestalt PrinceGlacierValleyKrystalYampamSamDust Collector

Hmmm this is hard...

Luna is definitely one. She speaks her truth, and I feel like that is incredibly rare. She is also strong, as others have pointed out above.

Honestly, Hermione is up there. I feel like she was definitely the smart glue that held the Trio together and got them through many, many tasks. Her practicality is a breath of fresh air in the Trio as well. However, of course I do think she can be... intense, and also biased, especially with her insistence on the SPEW thing ect. But back to good points; her strength of will to Obliviate her parents always makes me really appreciate her character. Unfortunately, the few good Muggle parents we know of didn't get much attention at all, but her loyalty is just incredibly strong, and her willingness to do anything necessary to protect those she loves is impressive indeed. She reminds me a bit of Snape in that aspect, as well as with her intelligence.

Surprisingly, Voldemort is a character I really enjoy when I think about it. I mean, come on; low-class guy infiltrates the upper classes and gets said upper classes to willingly be branded by him for life and die for him while killing the lower class the guy comes from?? Now that's a crazy villain arc I like. Especially because he's so powerful in so many ways (unsupported flight, anyone?) but also an absolute baby when it comes to fearing death when his organization's name is the Death Eaters... just ironic to me lol. He is a great villain to me; treating even his high-class followers (some presumably branded in their teens) like livestock/dirt? Come on, you want to punch that non-existent nose too, don't ya?

Heatherlly, mmlf and 4 other users have reacted to this post.
HeatherllymmlfThe Gestalt PrinceKrystalNaagaYampam
Page 1 of 3Next