Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Good Moments Featuring Less Popular Characters

Page 1 of 2Next

Discuss good moments featuring Harry Potter characters that are less conventionally popular and/or that you aren't a fan of in this thread.

Heatherlly, The Gestalt Prince and Naaga have reacted to this post.
HeatherllyThe Gestalt PrinceNaaga

Ron Weasley in Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets:

Chapter 7, Mudbloods and Murmurs

In all truth, Ron had little chance of subduing Draco Malfoy after the latter called Hermione Granger a 'Mudblood', but he was full of justified outrage and plunged ahead with an attack, regardless.

(The slug mishap and the Slytherins' reactions are hysterical.)

But his reaction later in Hagrid's hut is commendable, especially as he is in no fit condition to talk:

"It's about the most insulting thing he could think of," gasped Ron, coming back up. "Mudblood's a really foul name for someone who was Muggle-born-- you know, non-magic parents. There are some wizards-- like Malfoy's family-- who think they're better than everyone else because they're what people call pure-blood...I mean, the rest of us know it doesn't make any difference at all. Look at Neville Longbottom-- he's pure-blood and he can hardly stand a cauldron the right way up."

Well, he exaggerates about Neville Longbottom of course (and he is a Pureblood with modest and occasionally disastrous magical skill, though with a lot more knowledge than he gets credit for), but I like the way he goes on:

"It's a disgusting thing to call someone," said Ron, wiping his sweaty brow with a shaking hand. "Dirty blood, see. Common blood. It's mad. Most wizards these days are half-blood anyway. If we hadn't married Muggles we'd've died out."

Like I said, Harry and even Hermione often depend upon things that Ron knows about the wizarding world, such as the definition of a Squib.

Heatherlly, The Gestalt Prince and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
HeatherllyThe Gestalt PrinceKrystalNaaga

@mmlf I agree.

One of the things I hated the most in the movies were the scenes where Ron's moments were given to the Hermione including the explanation of 'mudblood'.

Heatherlly, The Gestalt Prince and Naaga have reacted to this post.
HeatherllyThe Gestalt PrinceNaaga

Agreed. While I don't always love Ron, he has some exceptional moments, most of which were downplayed in the movies.

I think "good moments" is mostly a matter of opinion. For example, the Deathday party was boring as hell from my perspective, but I can see how other readers (especially younger ones) might enjoy it. Same with Quidditch… lots of good moments there, but I just can't get into it. I'm sure it's fascinating though for those who enjoy sports.

mmlf, The Gestalt Prince and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
mmlfThe Gestalt PrinceKrystalNaaga

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire: Chapter 27- Padfoot Returns

But Sirius shook his head and said, ‘She’s got the measure of Crouch better than you have, Ron. If you want to know what a man’s like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.’

Here, Sirius defended Hermione's kind treatment of Winky and her opinion of Crouch Sr from Ron. It is a very good quote, too bad Sirius did a 180 on it with his treatment of Kreacher in OOTP.

Heatherlly, The Gestalt Prince and Krystal have reacted to this post.
HeatherllyThe Gestalt PrinceKrystal

Quote from Naaga on March 26, 2023, 5:34 pm

But Sirius shook his head and said, ‘She’s got the measure of Crouch better than you have, Ron. If you want to know what a man’s like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.’

Here, Sirius defended Hermione's kind treatment of Winky and her opinion of Crouch Sr from Ron. It is a very good quote, too bad Sirius did a 180 on it with his treatment of Kreacher in OOTP.

The irony being that he treats his own slave like shit

Heatherlly, mmlf and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
HeatherllymmlfKrystalNaaga
Quote from The Gestalt Prince on March 26, 2023, 5:45 pm

Quote from Naaga on March 26, 2023, 5:34 pm

The irony being that he treats his own slave like shit

He went as far as physically abusing him in OOTP. That was horrifying and no wonder Kreacher betrayed Sirius Black.

At which Sirius, ignoring Hermione’s protests, seized Kreacher by the back of his loincloth and threw him bodily from the room.

Heatherlly, mmlf and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
HeatherllymmlfThe Gestalt PrinceKrystal

This scene is from the Cursed Child, it had some really good dialogues for all it's faults.

SCORPIUS: You loved his mother. I don’t remember everything. I know you loved his mother. Harry’s mother. Lily. I know you spent years undercover. I know without you the war could never have been won. How would I know this if I hadn’t seen the other world . . . ?
SNAPE says nothing, overwhelmed.
Only Dumbledore knew, am I right? And when you lost him you must have felt so alone. I know you’re a good man. Harry Potter told his son you’re a great man.
SNAPE looks at SCORPIUS — unsure what’s going on. Is this a trick? He is quite seriously at a loss.
SNAPE: Harry Potter is dead.
SCORPIUS: Not in my world. He said you were the bravest man he’d ever met. He knew, you see — he knew your secret — what you did for Dumbledore. And he admired you for it — greatly. And that’s why he named his son — my best friend — after you both. Albus Severus Potter.
SNAPE is stopped. He is deeply moved.
Please — for Lily, for the world, help me.

Heatherlly and Krystal have reacted to this post.
HeatherllyKrystal

This is also from the Cursed Child and features Harry's quote, probably my favourite in the Cursed Child.

HARRY: Those names you have — they shouldn’t be a burden. Albus Dumbledore had his trials too, you know — and Severus Snape, well, you know all about him —

ALBUS: They were good men.

HARRY: They were great men, with huge flaws, and you know what — those flaws almost made them greater.

Heatherlly and Krystal have reacted to this post.
HeatherllyKrystal

I've never read CC and I don't know if I ever will, but I love these quotes. Thank you for sharing!

Krystal and Naaga have reacted to this post.
KrystalNaaga
Page 1 of 2Next