Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

HP Weekly Discussion: Favoritism

Page 1 of 11Next

This thread is to be used for discussion of General Harry Potter stuff.

Without further ado, let's begin,

1. Do you think muggles can brew magic potions?

2. Why do you think patronus is called a charm despite being taught and used in DADA?

3. Which of the Weasley siblings would you get on with the most (the twins are separate people)?

4. What's one thing you would change about the Wizarding World?

5. What plot point in the series doesn't make sense to you?

6. Who do you think was most the talented in Harry's Generation?

7. Which one is your favorite non-Snape scene in the books?

8. Which is your favourite non-Snape lesson?

9. Discussion: "Biggest on-page character fail" for non-Snape excluding flashbacks.

10.What was the worst thing done by each one of the Trio?

11. Do you think muggles are susceptible to magical diseases?

12. what's your explanation for Voldemort's inhuman appearance especially after the resurrection ritual? Why does he look like a snake/ human hybrid and not a normal Undead like Zombies and Vampires? ( pale, grey skin and strange eye color)

13. Do you think the Dursleys' treatment of Harry was due to the horcrux in him?

14. What is the weirdest non-Snape character choice, either something that doesn't make sense, or something that would make sense for another character?

15. Who do you believe were the top five students to ever attend Hogwarts (not counting Snape)?

16. How would have other magical communities around the world reacted if Voldemort had won the 2nd Wizarding War? Would they have openly intervened once things seemed to escalate; that is, would it have turned into a Wizarding World War?

17. Is Irma Pince Eileen Snape nee Prince?

18. What do you think of marauders' dynamic related to Peter Pettigrew?

19. Why do you think James Potter wasn't in Slug club?

20. What if Voldemort didn't take Harry's blood for resurrection? How'd it change the plot?

21. Do you think Dumbledore favored Marauders?

SanctuaryAngel, The Gestalt Prince and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
SanctuaryAngelThe Gestalt PrinceKrystalDark Angel

Since Snape tells his students to keep their wands away while brewing, I don't think there's any magic used besides the ingredients themselves. It's possible muggles could brew, if given the ingredients and instructions.

SanctuaryAngel, Krystal and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
SanctuaryAngelKrystalNaagaDark AngelJaySM

According to J.K., Muggles can't make Potions because apparently potion-making requires some magic.

‌POTIONS: BY J.K. ROWLING

It is often asked whether a Muggle could create a magic potion, given a Potions book and the right ingredients. The answer, unfortunately, is no. There is always some element of wandwork necessary to make a potion (merely adding dead flies and asphodel to a pot hanging over a fire will give you nothing but nasty-tasting, not to mention poisonous, soup).
Some potions duplicate the effects of spells and charms, but a few (for instance, the Polyjuice Potion and Felix Felicis) have effects impossible to achieve any other way. Generally speaking, witches and wizards favour whichever method they find easiest, or most satisfying, to produce their chosen end.
Potions are not for the impatient, but their effects are usually difficult to undo by any but another skilled potioneer. This branch of magic carries a certain mystique and therefore status. There is also the dark cachet of handling substances that are highly dangerous. The popular idea of a Potions expert within the wizarding community is of a brooding, slow-burning personality: Snape, in fact, conforms perfectly to the stereotype.

Source:

SanctuaryAngel, The Gestalt Prince and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
SanctuaryAngelThe Gestalt PrinceNaagaDark AngelJaySM

2. Today's discussion: Why do you think patronus is called a charm despite being taught and used in DADA?

The Gestalt Prince, Krystal and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
The Gestalt PrinceKrystalDark AngelJaySMZanna
Quote from Naaga on June 27, 2023, 12:17 am

Today's discussion: Why do you think patronus is called a charm despite being taught and used in DADA?

Charms are essentially enchantments that add or change effects on an object or person. But they can range from the Fidelius Charm, to Obliviate, to Alohamora.

But the nature of the Patronus is very different. It conjures a guardian that is the only weapon effective against Dementors - the guards of Azkaban.

The Dementors are considered dark creatures, who hunt for their target and subdue them by consuming their good memories, leaving them hollow and depressed, and eventually sucking out their soul. This wraith-like creature is taught in DADA because DADA not only teaches defensive spells to combat the Dark Arts, but also how to deal with Dark creatures. Dementors being one of them.

Although I do find it odd that the Patronus charm isn't actually taught in school - the only weapon against them. It is considered to be a very powerful charm that not every wizard can master, but it should have been a main component for NEWT level to even learn how to conjure a non-corporeal one.

The Gestalt Prince, Krystal and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
The Gestalt PrinceKrystalNaagaDark Angel
Quote from SanctuaryAngel on June 27, 2023, 1:21 am

Today's discussion: Why do you think patronus is called a charm despite being taught and used in DADA?

Charms are essentially enchantments that add or change effects on an object or person. But they can range from the Fidelius Charm, to Obliviate, to Alohamora.

But the nature of the Patronus is very different. It conjures a guardian that is the only weapon effective against Dementors - the guards of Azkaban.

The Dementors are considered dark creatures, who hunt for their target and subdue them by consuming their good memories, leaving them hollow and depressed, and eventually sucking out their soul. This wraith-like creature is taught in DADA because DADA not only teaches defensive spells to combat the Dark Arts, but also how to deal with Dark creatures. Dementors being one of them.

Although I do find it odd that the Patronus charm isn't actually taught in school - the only weapon against them. It is considered to be a very powerful charm that not every wizard can master, but it should have been a main component for NEWT level to even learn how to conjure a non-corporeal one.

It could be a standard seventh year spell, it could have been an extra credit project for gifted students, or it could have been taught in any year on a whim by one of the ever-changing DADA professors. We can't say they are not taught patronus in Hogwarts.

As for countering dementors not being taught in Hogwarts, people are not supposed to learn about countering a creature who is actively guarding Azkaban. Snape taught about dementors in 6th year because by then dementors took active side of Voldemort.

I also don't think patronus is only defence against Dementors. Lupin talked about multiple defences against Dementors when Harry was learning patronus from him. Snape also disagreed with Harry in an essay where Harry wrote patronus as best defence against Dementors.

SanctuaryAngel, The Gestalt Prince and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
SanctuaryAngelThe Gestalt PrinceKrystalJaySM
Quote from Naaga on June 27, 2023, 1:28 am
Quote from SanctuaryAngel on June 27, 2023, 1:21 am

It could be a standard seventh year spell, it could have been an extra credit project for gifted students, or it could have been taught in any year on a whim by one of the ever-changing DADA professors. We can't say they are not taught patronus in Hogwarts.

As for countering dementors not being taught in Hogwarts, people are not supposed to learn about countering a creature who is actively guarding Azkaban. Snape taught about dementors in 6th year because by then dementors took active side of Voldemort.

I also don't think patronus is only defence against Dementors. Lupin talked about multiple defences against Dementors when Harry was learning patronus from him. Snape also disagreed with Harry in an essay where Harry wrote patronus as best defence against Dementors.

True! I forgot there were multiple ways.

More lore on this would be amazing. I would love to know the origins of the Patronus.

The Gestalt Prince, Krystal and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
The Gestalt PrinceKrystalNaagaDark AngelJaySM

I think Patronuses have been used since ancient times, even before the use of them against the Dark Arts was known. By definition, they are supposed to be manifestations of happy memories and used for communication. In HP, charms are mainly used for utilitarian purposes and fit this description.

Later, the use of patronuses against dark creatures was discovered; they were effective against Dementors and Lethifolds. The use of patronuses against dark creatures gained prominence, and so it was shifted from charms into DADA. However, since it originated as a charm, it is still referred to as the "Patronus Charm."

The Gestalt Prince, Naaga and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
The Gestalt PrinceNaagaDark AngelJaySM

3. Today's discussion: Which of the Weasley siblings would you get on with the most (the twins are separate people)?

The Gestalt Prince, Krystal and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
The Gestalt PrinceKrystalDark AngelJaySM
Quote from Naaga on June 28, 2023, 1:10 am

Today's discussion: Which of the Weasley siblings would you get on with the most (the twins are separate people)?

My answer may be a bit controversial, but I would have to say Percy.

I think Percy is one of the few Harry Potter characters who receives undeserved hate in the series. I am not going to debate his merits; I will simply explain why I can relate to him.

Percy is certainly intelligent, possesses some wit, is ambitious, and cares deeply about his duties. As a Ravenclaw like me, I would certainly get along with him the most out of his siblings.

We don't know much about Bill or Charlie, so they are both out of the race.

No twins allowed, they're too cruel and malicious for my liking.

Ron and Ginny seem fun and easygoing, and out of the Weasley siblings, I would get along with them. Percy seems like my top choice due to his similarities in personality traits.

SanctuaryAngel, The Gestalt Prince and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
SanctuaryAngelThe Gestalt PrinceNaagaDark AngelJaySM
Page 1 of 11Next