Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Various meanings of Sev

While I was checking information sites about names, I became curious about what Sev meant, so I looked it up.

The name Sev is said to be used as the name for "love" in Turkish, and in data submitted from the Netherlands, it is said to mean "wolf." In Kurdî, the meaning of "apple" and in the United States, the meaning of "7" was submitted, and in the UK, the meaning of "Sev" was submitted to mean "always loyal." And in the United States, the name Sev is said to have American origins and means "strong soldier."

Except for the apples... I think Snape's nickname, Sev, is a nickname that tells Snape's story in many ways. By the way, if a reader from Turkey had read Harry Potter, he would have thought it was funny when Lily called Severus "Sev."

+Sev is "Zev/Ze'ev" which is Hebrew. The Hebrew word Zev means wolf. The pronunciation changed and it became Sev. Sev, submitted in the United States, is also believed to be derived from Hebrew. When I looked into the meaning further, I found that it included the additional meaning of “wolf/brave warrior.” I also saw an explanation that Sev itself was a Hebrew name.

The Gestalt Prince, Naaga and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
The Gestalt PrinceNaagaBitterBritDweller Of DreamsZombiePotter04

There are also many interesting meanings of Snape in different languages. I favourite is "Rogue" in French. 😸

The Gestalt Prince, comet and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
The Gestalt PrincecometBitterBritZombiePotter04
Quote from comet on June 11, 2024, 9:54 am

While I was checking information sites about names, I became curious about what Sev meant, so I looked it up.

The name Sev is said to be used as the name for "love" in Turkish, and in data submitted from the Netherlands, it is said to mean "wolf." In Kurdî, the meaning of "apple" and in the United States, the meaning of "7" was submitted, and in the UK, the meaning of "Sev" was submitted to mean "always loyal." And in the United States, the name Sev is said to have American origins and means "strong soldier."

Except for the apples... I think Snape's nickname, Sev, is a nickname that tells Snape's story in many ways. By the way, if a reader from Turkey had read Harry Potter, he would have thought it was funny when Lily called Severus "Sev."

+Sev is "Zev/Ze'ev" which is Hebrew. The Hebrew word Zev means wolf. The pronunciation changed and it became Sev. Sev, submitted in the United States, is also believed to be derived from Hebrew. When I looked into the meaning further, I found that it included the additional meaning of “wolf/brave warrior.” I also saw an explanation that Sev itself was a Hebrew name.

Hi! Just to give some clarification: "Sev" is not a literal translation of the word "wolf" in Dutch. "Wolf" is also just "wolf" in Dutch. As far as I am aware, "Sev" does not literally translate to anything in the Dutch language. I think anyone here would just see it as how it is used in Harry Potter, as a name/nickname.

This is just an FYI, though! I would love to take a look at the data that you mentioned coming from the Netherlands. It is very cool that you are trying to find out some meaning behind the nickname! I would love it if the word "Sev" is actually derived from the word "wolf" in some way. I love the "love" one too! Makes my Snily heart happy, haha. Considering Lily was the only one who called Sev this and if it actually means "love" in some languages, then for a shipper like me, that would be amazing! :p

Heatherlly, The Gestalt Prince and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
HeatherllyThe Gestalt PrinceNaagaRobaku90
Quote from ZombiePotter04 on June 15, 2024, 4:19 pm

Hi! Just to give some clarification: "Sev" is not a literal translation of the word "wolf" in Dutch. "Wolf" is also just "wolf" in Dutch. As far as I am aware, "Sev" does not literally translate to anything in the Dutch language. I think anyone here would just see it as how it is used in Harry Potter, as a name/nickname.

This is just an FYI, though! I would love to take a look at the data that you mentioned coming from the Netherlands. It is very cool that you are trying to find out some meaning behind the nickname! I would love it if the word "Sev" is actually derived from the word "wolf" in some way. I love the "love" one too! Makes my Snily heart happy, haha. Considering Lily was the only one who called Sev this and if it actually means "love" in some languages, then for a shipper like me, that would be amazing! :p

I'm sorry, I should have explained in detail what site it was. That site was one where people from other countries could submit names from other countries. As I wrote below, the Hebrew name was submitted by a Dutch person! There seem to be more names that come from Hebrew origin than I thought. For example, I heard that James is also a Hebrew origin name. Many names of Bible characters are also Hebrew. https://www.names.org/n/sev/about

The Gestalt Prince and Naaga have reacted to this post.
The Gestalt PrinceNaaga
Quote from comet on June 17, 2024, 11:32 am
Quote from ZombiePotter04 on June 15, 2024, 4:19 pm

I'm sorry, I should have explained in detail what site it was. That site was one where people from other countries could submit names from other countries. As I wrote below, the Hebrew name was submitted by a Dutch person! There seem to be more names that come from Hebrew origin than I thought. For example, I heard that James is also a Hebrew origin name. Many names of Bible characters are also Hebrew. https://www.names.org/n/sev/about

Don't be sorry! I just misunderstood you, is all! It was a Dutch person who sent in a Hebrew name, got it! 😀 It's cool that apparently many Harry Potter names are of Hebrew origin. I wonder if JKR was aware of that or if it's just pure coincidence.

Also, thanks for linking the site! I will definitely take a look at it! <3

The Gestalt Prince and Naaga have reacted to this post.
The Gestalt PrinceNaaga