Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

"Obscura Nox Animae" (Severus Snape/Lily Evans) M

Page 1 of 2Next

Characters/Pairings: Severus/Lily
Rating/Warnings: M
Summary: The entire Wizarding world believes Lily Potter was murdered by Voldemort on that fateful night in 1981, including the man who would've given his immortal soul to save her. But there's another side to Lily's sacrifice, ancient charms and hidden truths that may have the power to change everything.

Obscura Nox Animae: (Latin) The Dark Night of the Soul

Completed in 2017. You can read the full story on Archive of Our Own or Fanfiction.net.

The Gestalt Prince, Krystal and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
The Gestalt PrinceKrystalNaagaRobaku90

I am interested in reading this after seeing the dynamic between Lily and Snape in your other fic. I will post the complete review after finishing it.

Heatherlly, The Gestalt Prince and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
HeatherllyThe Gestalt PrinceKrystalRobaku90

Ah yeah, this here's a good one

Heatherlly, Krystal and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
HeatherllyKrystalNaagaRobaku90

My main issue with this fic is ... (see spoilers)

Spoiler
My main issue with this fic is that Lily is for all intents and purposes stuck with Severus for a year. Potential feelings from this might not be entirely genuine as a result.

Note that I don't fault Snape for the situation, but I feel like there should at least have been a period of distance between them after the war to allow Lily to fully reconcile with Harry, and to ensure that feelings she have for Severus are fully genuine and not a result of a lack of proper communication with anyone else.

Heatherlly, Krystal and Naaga have reacted to this post.
HeatherllyKrystalNaaga

@naaga, this one is really good and it was actually my first major Snily fic, I ended up binging it and second the recommendation.

@fredriq, the following spoiler answers your questions as far as I was able to interpret in the fic.

Spoiler
Lily's attraction to Severus wasn't a sudden development, the fic kept hinting at it in the earliest chapters and it was genuine love from her side, not something that came with close proximity with Severus in his headmaster office. Lily actually thought about giving more time to Harry after the war but Harry had grown past requiring coddling from his mother and felt better spending time with his friends. That doesn't mean she didn't care for Harry, she eventually decided to give him space after realising that he didn't want the amount of attention she wanted to lavish upon him. Harry did feel jealous of his sister for receiving attention but was able to accept her need for it as a newborn. They did get new home near Weasleys to allow Harry to spend time with Lily.

Heatherlly, The Gestalt Prince and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
HeatherllyThe Gestalt PrinceNaagaRobaku90
Quote from Krystal on March 14, 2023, 3:24 pm

@naaga, this one is really good and it was actually my first major Snily fic, I ended up binging it and second the recommendation.

@fredriq, the following spoiler answers your questions as far as I was able to interpret in the fic.

Spoiler
Lily's attraction to Severus wasn't a sudden development, the fic kept hinting at it in the earliest chapters and it was genuine love from her side, not something that came with close proximity with Severus in his headmaster office. Lily actually thought about giving more time to Harry after the war but Harry had grown past requiring coddling from his mother and felt better spending time with his friends. That doesn't mean she didn't care for Harry, she eventually decided to give him space after realising that he didn't want the amount of attention she wanted to lavish upon him. Harry did feel jealous of his sister for receiving attention but was able to accept her need for it as a newborn. They did get new home near Weasleys to allow Harry to spend time with Lily.

I  read the fic back in 2018 (it was one of the first fanfics I ever read), so it's entirely possible that I misremember details. Might revisit it again if I misinterpreted things in the fic.

Heatherlly, The Gestalt Prince and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
HeatherllyThe Gestalt PrinceKrystalNaagaRobaku90

@naaga I started this story less than a year after I first read this series. It's a long one, but if you do read, I hope you enjoy it! 🙂

@kris Your response to @fredriq is correct. Thank you for summarizing so well.  🙂

Spoiler
In this story, Lily had feelings for Severus when they were teenagers. Those feelings are reawakened very early on, heightened by her unique ability to see him for who he's truly become (switching sides, protecting Harry, etc). Obviously, she's not able to act on her feelings until she's in human form, but it was by no means a sudden thing.

You're also right about Harry. As much as Lily would've loved to be a full-time parent, Harry is pretty much an adult when the war ends. He needs independence, and of course, it's natural for him to spend most of his time with his friends/girlfriend. That doesn't diminish his relationship with Lily, but they both had to adjust/find a dynamic that worked for them.

The Gestalt Prince, Krystal and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
The Gestalt PrinceKrystalNaagaRobaku90

Ok, I got started on this one, your Snape is in the character so kudos to you. I have read upto the chapter 22 and like this fic.

Using original spell to save her soul while keeping the blood sacrifice intact is a nice plot twist. Marauders were obviously douchebags after the things Snape saw in the Sirius' head in library.

You actually managed to make Crookshanks and Hedwig Lily theories kinda true.

Liked this so far and will continue to read it.

Heatherlly, mmlf and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
HeatherllymmlfThe Gestalt PrinceKrystalRobaku90

Ok, I completed the fic so here's my review.

It was amazing, you wrote well. I just finished today and the fic was an amazing ride. I usually don't ship Snily but the pairing worked well in the fic and your version of Lily was amazing. Tension, angst, romance, fluff all were really good. Your Snape was one of the best version of Snape that I have read. Overall, the fic is really awesome.

Heatherlly, mmlf and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
HeatherllymmlfThe Gestalt PrinceKrystalRobaku90

Thank you so much! I'm really glad you enjoyed it. 🙂

The Gestalt Prince, Krystal and Naaga have reacted to this post.
The Gestalt PrinceKrystalNaaga
Page 1 of 2Next