Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Poll: Other Than Love and Bravery, What Snape Characteristic Do You Like Best?

Other Than Love and Bravery, What Snape Characteristic Do You Like Best?
Sarcastic Humour
Good Teaching Skills
Ability to Deceive
Emotional Control
Favouritism
Technical Mastery
Love of Solitude
Disdain for Gryffindor
Love of Books
Another Characteristic

Other than Snape's outstanding bravery and lifelong love for Lily, what other characteristic of his do you admire, or, in the case of his flaws, understand? Select an option and feel free to elaborate below.

Heatherlly, The Gestalt Prince and Krystal have reacted to this post.
HeatherllyThe Gestalt PrinceKrystal

I have chosen Snape's sarcastic humour. I like the clash between his lifelong unhappiness and his ability to find humour out of bleak circumstances. Humour is often used as a coping mechanism, and I think I have seen quotes about how comedy is often inspired by tragedy. I think that if not for his ability to make fun of situatons or people, Snape would have been far worse than even Harry's own expectations.

That being said, it seems as though Snape doesn't like being the butt of anyone else's jokes. "There's no need to call me sir, Professor" has to be one of the most brilliant burns in the entire series. The fact that this came from the son of James Potter was no doubt adding insult to injury, more so the fact that, as in James Potter's day, many others were smirking or laughing.

For me it was his Sarcastic humour. Even in my first reading when he was continuously being a git, his sarcastic humour was the first thing that made me to like his character. He had some of the best sassy lines in the books and I appreciate the fics which get it right.

Heatherlly, mmlf and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
HeatherllymmlfThe Gestalt PrinceInterwovenMadness

I voted for another characteristic, because for me, it would have to be his loyalty. Once he commits to something (or someone), there is nothing in the world that can dissuade him. Of course, this is closely linked with love in Lily's case, but his commitment to Dumbledore demonstrates the same tendency. He might get frustrated at times, but in the end, he does every damn thing Dumbledore asks of him and more.

“And what will you give me in return, Severus?”

“In — in return?” Snape gaped at Dumbledore, and Harry expected him to protest, but after a long moment he said, “Anything.”

That is what I admire most about Severus. Above everything else, he is a man of his word. 💚

mmlf, The Gestalt Prince and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
mmlfThe Gestalt PrinceKrystalInterwovenMadness

For me it was his emotional control. He lived at the his abusive childhood home, taught at his teenage bully centre, constantly worked under the masters he hated, had to protect the child of his childhood nemesis who acted like his father and later had to endure the hatred of his colleagues while he was trying to protect the students. It was a wonder he didn't fall apart and executed each of his tasks without letting out his outrage (at least where Harry was not involved).

That is so true, and I don't think he ever gets enough credit for that. Hell, even with Harry, he shows a remarkable amount of restraint considering all the trauma he's suffered/enormous amount of stress he has to cope with.

The Gestalt Prince, Krystal and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
The Gestalt PrinceKrystalNaagaInterwovenMadness

@heatherlly, taking care of Harry was like a full time job in itself and he should've demanded raise from Dumbledore for all the headache involved 😉

Heatherlly, The Gestalt Prince and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
HeatherllyThe Gestalt PrinceKrystalInterwovenMadness