Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Poll: Which pet do you think Snape would have?

Choose the Snape's preferred pet.
Owl
Cat
Toad
Rat
Raven
Kneazle
Dog
Crup
Another

If Snape would have a pet, which animal, bird or creature he would have among the following. Feel free to explain why you think so.

Heatherlly, The Gestalt Prince and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
HeatherllyThe Gestalt PrinceGlacierValleyNaaga

I chose owl. I think Severus would want a pet that is practical/useful, intelligent, and self-sufficient. While a raven would also fit all these qualities, I think he'd avoid that because a raven is too distinctive/recognizable. He'd want a pet that would blend in, especially if he was using it for correspondence and such.

That said, I love the idea of him falling in love with a cat (despite his initial reluctance) and getting completely attached to it. That's actually going to be the theme of one of my upcoming writing challenge responses… hoping to get that finished/posted this week.

The Gestalt Prince, GlacierValley and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
The Gestalt PrinceGlacierValleyKrystalNaaga

I  think canon Snape is most likely to own an owl among these options. But I always liked fics where he befriends a cat with the cat ultimately taking in Snape as its pet.

Heatherlly, The Gestalt Prince and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
HeatherllyThe Gestalt PrinceGlacierValleyKrystalNaaga

I had read a fic where Snape took in a stray cat and kept feeding it till the cat eventually started living with Snape and became some sort of pet and I liked it. I headcanon Snape keeping a grumpy cat and both taking turns staring and avoiding each other.

HeatherllyThe Gestalt PrinceGlacierValleyKrystal

I choose the Raven for the reasons as Heatherlly put it, practical/useful, intelligent, and self-sufficient.

I don't think Severus would care what others thought regarding his pet, he never cared for others' opinion on him, he could get whatever he wanted.

His behaviour was also not of someone who wanted to blend, Snape set a distinct impression wherever he went. They could hate or love Snape but they couldn't ignore Snape.

@kris I agree with that based on his personality. The reason I said I thought he'd want to blend in in this context was for practical reasons. Severus was an extremely private person, not to mention a spy. Assuming he'd be using his pet for correspondence, I don't think he'd want something too distinctive/immediately recognizable as his.

The Gestalt Prince, GlacierValley and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
The Gestalt PrinceGlacierValleyKrystalNaaga

@heatherlly, I think of Raven as a more personal taste and a way for him to make a distinction for himself. He could've used school owls for the correspondence to avoid drawing attention and avoid it being recognisable.

I definitely agree that Sev would want a pet that could lie low, and I think a owl would get that done. I think he'd like a raven, though; they are wickedly smart, and I think he'd enjoy the challenge. I can picture him facing off with a grumpy cat as well 😂

HeatherllyThe Gestalt PrinceKrystalNaaga