Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Poll: Who can defeat Snape in 1 vs 1 duel?

Who can defeat Severus Snape in duel?
Albus Dumbledore
Lord Voldemort
Gellert Grindelwald
Minerva McGonagall
Filius Flitwick
Kingsley Shacklebolt
Horace Slughorn
Pomona Sprout
Bellatrix Lestrange
Antonin Dolohov
Barty Crouch Jr
Rubeus Hagrid
Alastor Moody
Harry Potter
James Potter
Sirius Black
Remus Lupin
Peter Pettigrew
Bill Weasley
Hermione Granger
Molly Weasley
Lily Potter
Other (comment who and why)

Severus Snape is one of the most powerful wizards but one certainly isn't unbeatable.

Vote among these options about who you think can defeat our favourite Professor, there are multiple choices so grab the options you think fair.

Feel free to comment why you think so.

Heatherlly, The Gestalt Prince and 4 other users have reacted to this post.
HeatherllyThe Gestalt PrinceKrystalDark AngelGhostJaySM

I chose Voldemort, Dumbledore and Grindelwald because they are the most powerful wizards in canon, two of them were Dark Lords and the other was their light equivalent.

Snape is an extremely skilled wizard and had experience dueling 1 vs  4, so that was good training, I think he would be able to handle himself against all others in a 1 on 1 fight except the three I have chosen. Their age and experience would also play a large role, they are older and may know more spells from experience than Snape.

I would have chosen Flitwick as well, as he is supposed to be a professional duelist (is that fanon or canon?!) And I think Snape incapacitated him when the Death Eaters invaded Hogwarts because Flitwick would for one be a real threat and foil the plan and because Severus did not want to be forced to seriously duel his colleague

HeatherllyThe Gestalt PrinceKrystalNaagaWinter's ShadeJaySM

I voted for his bosses i.e Voldemort and Dumbledore.

I am taking the old imprisoned Grindelwald for this battle, that's why I think Snape would win, against Prime Grindelwald would be a different outcome.

We know he was defending well against McGonagall and only ran away when other professors joined, he was just defending without intention to kill. While Flitwick is a good duelist, he was more into dueling as a sport where dark arts are restricted and a Snape going all out can pull a win. Other professors won't stand a chance.

He'd win against Marauders individually, he told Harry that his father didn't dare fight Snape unless it was 4 vs 1, Snape would thrash them in 1 vs 1.

Bellatrix, Dolohov and Barty will test him, but I think Snape can pull a hard earned win.

He can win against current Mad eye, but definitely hard pressed against Prime Moody, I guess he will win because a young DE Evan Rosier was able to cripple Moody and Snape certainly has more knowledge and skill under his belt than Rosier.

Harry and Hermione lack experience and knowledge to defeat Snape.

Snape would win against Lily but he could pull his punches to not grievously hurt her.

Bill is certainly talented but he wasn't counted among top guys in Order.

He can win against Hagrid as long as he keeps his distance and spam Sectumsempras and long range spells with status effects against him.

HeatherllyThe Gestalt PrinceKrystalWinter's ShadeDark AngelJaySM

Hush, he wouldn't use Sectumsempra against Hagrid. 😢

But Lily, lily doesn't need a wand or anything, her presence is enough to disarm him 🤣 or he would disarm her with a soft expelliarmus (not the thing he cast on Lockhart whatever the hell that was!)

Heatherlly, The Gestalt Prince and 6 other users have reacted to this post.
HeatherllyThe Gestalt PrinceKrystalNaagaWinter's ShadeInterwovenMadnessJaySMBol_Stark
Quote from Dark Angel on July 18, 2023, 3:01 pm

Hush, he wouldn't use Sectumsempra against Hagrid. 😢

But Lily, lily doesn't need a wand or anything, her presence is enough to disarm him 🤣 or he would disarm her with a soft expelliarmus (not the thing he cast on Lockhart whatever the hell that was!)

I believe he will defeat her with.... tickling charm. 😹😹

HeatherllyThe Gestalt PrinceKrystalWinter's ShadeDark AngelJaySM

I chose Albus, Tom, Gellert, Lily and other. I wanted to choose Hagrid too but Severus can fly so if Hagrid decides to seriously battle him by charging, Severus could get out of range.

Albus because he’s dabbled in just about everything.

Tom for having the skills to have backup plans through horcrux to make up for what he doesn’t know. I.E. Love magic.

Gellert because the guy can see the future and it seems to be a skill he can control. Severus would have to be pretty spontaneous if he’s battling him outside of prison.

Liky because he wouldn’t raise a wand to her. Everything she dished he would think he deserved.

Eileen because she seemed to have the same interest in dark arts as Severus did when he was younger. Also, I don’t see him raising his wand at his mother. He’d deflect it for as long as possible but in the end, it’s her son.

HeatherllyThe Gestalt PrinceKrystalNaagaWinter's ShadeDark Angel
Quote from JaySM on July 18, 2023, 3:35 pm

I chose Albus, Tom, Gellert, Lily and other. I wanted to choose Hagrid too but Severus can fly so if Hagrid decides to seriously battle him by charging, Severus could get out of range.

Albus because he’s dabbled in just about everything.

Tom for having the skills to have backup plans through horcrux to make up for what he doesn’t know. I.E. Love magic.

Gellert because the guy can see the future and it seems to be a skill he can control. Severus would have to be pretty spontaneous if he’s battling him outside of prison.

Liky because he wouldn’t raise a wand to her. Everything she dished he would think he deserved.

Eileen because she seemed to have the same interest in dark arts as Severus did when he was younger. Also, I don’t see him raising his wand at his mother. He’d deflect it for as long as possible but in the end, it’s her son.

I didn't even think about Eileen but I now want to see a duel between them.  Snape really would be in a shitty situation but he's also her son and her baby so she wouldn't be too harsh, I'm interested in how she would come to duel him in the first place.

I didn’t select any of the above mentioned options.

The duel of Dumbledore and Grindelwald did prove that everyone can be beaten in a duel, as long as you’re able to surprise them with your tactics.

Personally I think that Sev in his prime could have hold his place against each of the mentioned options, even in their prime.
He is used to fight with a disadvantage and he is able to develop spells, spells like Sectumsepra that can’t be healed by a normal healing spell.
So who is to say he didn’t have more of these kind?
And why would he not unleash all of the anger/rage and hurt that is bubbling inside him to set free his full magical power?

So yes, they would be hard duels and the outcome isn’t clear, but Sev would have had a chance.

Lily is a different topic, he wouldn’t hurt her but I think she would stop at some point if he only protects himself and tells her he doesn’t want to fight her.
They have a special bond, and I think if they really would have had a duel it could have repaired them.

If we are going to talk about the element of surprise then the Weasley Twins would probably defeat Severus with underhanded tactics. They have experience diverting him from certain locations. It would have to be both twins at the same time. Alone, they would not have a chance especially with Severus legilimency.

Heatherlly, The Gestalt Prince and Krystal have reacted to this post.
HeatherllyThe Gestalt PrinceKrystal

I chose Dumbledore, Voldemort, and Grindelwald because they had greater prowess due to their age. Severus died young at 38 and never reached his prime; for magical folks, prime likely comes in their 60s due to their long lives. He was quite powerful as a young wizard, and I could only imagine how strong he'd have become if he had lived and died naturally.

Heatherlly, Naaga and Dark Angel have reacted to this post.
HeatherllyNaagaDark Angel