Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Rereading/Rewatching the Harry Potter Series

Page 1 of 14Next

While I occasionally reference specific scenes for my fanfiction, it's been 10 years since I read the entire series. It's also been years (7-8?) since I've seen the movies, so yeah… I thought this would be a fun resolution/project for 2023.

My plan is to read/comment on each book, followed by the corresponding movie. A lot of my focus will be on Snape (obviously), though I'm posting it here because I'm sure I'll be commenting on other characters/plot elements as well. I'm interested to see how my perspectives have changed (if at all). What do I remember? What have I forgotten? How have my views been shaped by canon versus fanfiction/fanon?

If anyone else is in the mood for a reread and/or rewatch, feel free to join in! I'll be kicking things off with Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. 🙂

Uploaded files:
  • Harry-Potter-And-The-Philosophers-Stone.jpg
The Gestalt Prince, JaySM and ZombiePotter04 have reacted to this post.
The Gestalt PrinceJaySMZombiePotter04

Chapter 03 - The Letters From No One

I've always been curious about Hogwarts admission and how it works. I know that some students receive letters, while others (Muggleborns) have someone show up and talk to them. I also know that magical parents have the option of homeschooling their kids, but what about Muggles? Are they also able to opt out of Hogwarts for their child? Or are they harassed until they give in, as we see with Harry in this chapter?

I realize Harry is a special case, but it does make me wonder. are The whole "disregard for Muggles" is even more blatant than I remember – it's hard to imagine them respecting a reluctant Muggle parent's wishes and leaving them alone.

Something else I wanted to comment on…

In previous readings, I generally thought of the Dursleys as shitty people, so I never tried to empathize with them. I feel differently this time, partially because I've written Petunia/tried to get into her head, and partially because I've had discussions with people who have a more sympathetic viewpoint. I'm still not saying any of them are great, but I'm finding their behavior (especially Petunia's) more understandable. Honestly, why wouldn't they be terrified of the magical world/desperate to avoid it at all costs?

The Gestalt Prince, JaySM and ZombiePotter04 have reacted to this post.
The Gestalt PrinceJaySMZombiePotter04

On admission: barring anything outside of the seven books (so no Obscurial explanation), it might be possible that Muggle parents would be more than happy to send their children to learn about magic, either out of pride in having someone special in the family or out of fear. It's possible that, when professors visit these families, that they prioritize persuading the families to allow their children to attend Hogwarts and say that it's for their own good.

On the Dursley's: I also empathize with them to a degree, specifically Petunia (despite how unpleasant she is). Consider that she grew up with a younger sister who not only did unnatural, inexplicable things, but was also supposedly favored by both of their parents. Before reading "The Prince's Tale", this could come off as disgust and resentment toward Lily. I have another read on it, but I'll wait until you reach that chapter.

Heatherlly, TimeLadyJamie and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
HeatherllyTimeLadyJamieJaySMZombiePotter04

I can see that being true for many or even most Muggle parents, but (realistically speaking) there'd have to be exceptions. Devoutly religious parents is one example – they wouldn't be proud to send their child off to learn witchcraft, and their fear of God (or other deity) would naturally be stronger than witches or wizards. It's exceptions like those I can't help wondering about… do you think they receive similar treatment to the Dursleys, harassed until they have no other choice?

Also, I just caught something I didn't notice before.

Chapter 08 - The Potions Master

While visiting Hagrid, Harry is complaining about his first class with Snape:

"But he seemed to really hate me."

"Rubbish!" said Hagrid. "Why should he?"

Yet Harry couldn't help thinking that Hagrid didn't quite meet his eyes when he said that.

Hagrid changes the subject and starts asking about Ron's brother, which is equally telling. He obviously knows that Snape has reason to dislike Harry, though I wonder how deep that knowledge goes. Is it just that he knows about James's bullying/the end of Severus and Lily's friendship and came to his own conclusions? Or is it more than that?

Maybe there are later revelations along these lines, but if there are, I've forgotten. For now, I just find it interesting… Hagrid always seems to be one of those characters who knows more than he lets on.

Also, the foreshadowing in these early chapters is top-notch, though I keep cringing whenever Scabbers is mentioned. lol

The Gestalt Prince, JaySM and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
The Gestalt PrinceJaySMSalvyusZombiePotter04

On exceptions: that's something I hadn't thought about, although I'm not sure how the books' world history developed compared to our own. If witches and wizards lived alongside Muggles and were common knowledge prior to the Statute of Secrecy, and would therefore co-exist alongside religions that would be formed and followed, would it influence how religion would view magic? So, would there be an alternate version of Judaism and Christianity?

On Hagrid: it's said that Hagrid was friends with James and company, and do remember that he was riding Sirius's motorbike when he delivered Harry to the Dursley's. Though there's two things that might have to be taken into account:

• Gryffindor vs. Slytherin
    • Hagrid was a Gryffindor, and Tom Riddle, the boy who got him expelled, was a Slytherin. And Hagrid is explicitly biased against Slytherins, serving as the very first person to explicitly tell Harry that Slytherin is a bad House, citing that Voldemort was one.
    • He would have also been aware of Slytherin's pureblood philosophy, which could have still been strong given the fact that shortly prior to Armando Dippet, Phineas Nigellus Black served as Headmaster.
    • Given the rivalry between the two Houses, the common association with blood purity in the green one, Hagrid's half-giant status, and Hagrid knew Snape was in Slytherin and became the Head of Slytherin, he might be more willing to be in favor of a Gryffindor like James.
  • Hagrid's Character
    • I'm not saying Hagrid is a bad person, but given the above, he is selectively good and bad to different people; keep in mind that, while he took Harry away from the Dursley's, he also broke down someone's door and magically assaulted a Muggle child (barring the fact that he is not allowed to use magic at all, let alone in front of Muggles).

On Scabbers: yup.

Heatherlly, JaySM and ZombiePotter04 have reacted to this post.
HeatherllyJaySMZombiePotter04

On exceptions: that's something I hadn't thought about, although I'm not sure how the books' world history developed compared to our own.

I've never imagined the HP universe as different than ours. Obviously, the magical part is, but the Muggle side (general history, day to day life, etc) I see as one and the same. For me, it's more fun that way – I love imagining that the Wizarding world is real and we're just oblivious. 🙂

That said, the idea of an alternate history for Muggles is interesting, something I've never thought of before. I wonder if there's any fanfiction that explores that concept in depth – I'm sure it would be fascinating to read.

Also, great points about Hagrid. This one in particular…

I'm not saying Hagrid is a bad person, but given the above, he is selectively good and bad to different people; keep in mind that, while he took Harry away from the Dursley's, he also broke down someone's door and magically assaulted a Muggle child (barring the fact that he is not allowed to use magic at all, let alone in front of Muggles).

Yeah, I was always put off by his recklessness, and what he did to Dudley was unnecessary. Overall, he's not one of my favorites… I don't hate him, just don't find his personality (and many of his actions) interesting or appealing. He's too childish, for lack of a better word. I feel like I'm reading about an overgrown kid – definite lack of depth/maturity.

Other than that, I just finished the first book! I don't have too much to say about this one (or the next, most likely), but I would like to comment on that bullshit ending. Not only are Slytherins trashed throughout the books, but that business with the House Cup? Ughhhh

Seriously, fuck Dumbledore for doing that. It's bad enough that he snuck in all those points at the last minute, but to let Slytherin think they won only to humiliate them in front of all the other students? There's favoritism, then there's being an unrepentant asshole… I think we all know which one Dumbledore was in that scene. D:

The Gestalt Prince, TimeLadyJamie and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
The Gestalt PrinceTimeLadyJamieJaySMSalvyusZombiePotter04

On world history: a fair point, and I agree that it'd be interesting to see an alternate view of history; although, if King Arthur was around when Merlin was, and Merlin was a student at Hogwarts (founded c. 990 AD), then maybe there's a degree of deviation in terms of Muggle history? Because Arthur is dated to the 500-600 range, while the book timeline would place him closer to William I, or perhaps a near-direct predecessor.

On Hagrid: believe me when I say that Chamber of Secrets makes me dislike Hagrid immensely.

As for the ending... yep, I'm commenting on this.

• Harry, Ron, and Hermione break multiple school rules and end up in the one place they're not supposed to be, for the purpose of stopping a teacher from stealing the Philosopher's Stone, which wouldn't have been possible if Dumbledore had entrusted the first obstacle to anyone who wasn't Hagrid.
    • Hagrid is the sole reason that the Golden Trio know anything about the Stone being at Hogwarts and is also the sole reason Quirrell managed to get past Fluffy. The man couldn't keep a secret to save Harry's life.
    • Even with all the obstacles, Quirrell and Voldemort would never have been close to retrieving the Stone due to the enchantment placed on the Mirror... at least, not unless someone who fit the criteria happened to be there at the right time... Harry.
    • Also, the only reason Harry survived was because of the sacrificial protection placed on him by Lily's sacrifice. Had either Ron or Hermione gone there instead, the best-case scenario is that they would have been tortured and/or killed by Quirrell before the professors could reach them (if someone was around to go for help); worst-case scenario is that, plus Voldemort retrieving the Stone.
  • And after all of the above, after going through an ordeal that was completely unnecessary to keep the Stone safe, which Dumbledore would be completely aware of, Dumbledore chooses to reward them for it. He chooses to reward them for putting themselves in danger because one of his employees couldn't be trusted to keep his mouth shut. And as you say, he specifically waits until the feast, where the Slytherin decorations are set up, to give the Cup to Gryffindor.

Also, as a side note to help me cool off from my rant and to bring Snape up, it's kinda weird that Filch is the one to bandage Snape's leg, as opposed to Madam Pomfrey or Snape himself.

Heatherlly and ZombiePotter04 have reacted to this post.
HeatherllyZombiePotter04

I've always believed that King Arthur was a combination of several real historical figures with a fair amount of legend sprinkled in. That makes it difficult, if not impossible, to pin down a timeline, though I'd definitely place him before the Saxon kings (pre-827). That would suggest some deviation in the timeline, but JKR has also acknowledged that she's not good with dates. I personally think you can go either way (real or alternative Muggle timeline) without contradicting canon.

Excellent points about Hagrid, all of which I agree with. It stood out even more to me when I watched the movie last night – it felt like I couldn't go five minutes without him letting something slip or acting irresponsibly.

If we're talking realistic probabilities, Harry (and likely his friends) would've been killed. I know this is fiction and you have to suspend disbelief, but Dumbledore's methods really do strain credulity. He always plays fast and loose with Harry's safety, depending on circumstances to align in just the right way. It makes me feel that much sorrier for Snape, considering that 1.) Protecting Harry is his first priority, and 2.) Dumbledore refuses to let him do that in a sensible/logical way. Imagine having to sit by all those years and watch Dumbledore acting recklessly, sometimes even encouraging Harry to place himself in danger. Really makes you wonder how differently things might've played out if Dumbledore wasn't around, if Snape was in charge right from the start.

Potential fanfiction idea? 🙂 Anyway…

it's kinda weird that Filch is the one to bandage Snape's leg, as opposed to Madam Pomfrey or Snape himself.

Definitely weird, not to mention out of character. I can see Snape choosing not to go to Madam Pomfrey, but why Filch of all people? It's safe to assume that Snape was much more skilled at treating wounds than a Squib, and it was on his leg (well within his reach). He also seems like a "handle it on my own" type of guy, so yeah… no logical explanation for that one.

At any rate, this wraps up Sorcerer's Stone (book and movie). On to Chamber of Secrets!

The Gestalt Prince and ZombiePotter04 have reacted to this post.
The Gestalt PrinceZombiePotter04

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

I'm already halfway through chapter 7. I keep looking for things to comment on, but to be honest, this is my least favorite out of all the books. I do like the introduction of Dobby, and Lockhart can be amusing. Overall though, I'd summarize these early chapters as "too much tween drama/too little Snape".

Uploaded files:
  • And-The-Chamber-Of-Secrets.jpg

Chapter 08 - The Deathday Party

Uploaded files:
  • Sleepy.jpg
Page 1 of 14Next