Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Poll: Severus's Worst and/or Least Favorite Subject (Core Classes)

What was Severus's Worst and/or Least Favorite Subject (Core Classes)?
Astronomy
Charms
Defense Against the Dark Arts
Herbology
History of Magic
Potions
Transfiguration
Page 1 of 2Next

Severus was obviously an exceptionally skilled wizard, one who mastered multiple types of magic. That said, we all have strengths and weaknesses… no one (not even Severus) is perfect.

What, in your opinion, was his worst and/or least favorite core subject? How did he handle it as a student, and what (if any) effect did it have on his life as an adult?

The Gestalt Prince and Krystal have reacted to this post.
The Gestalt PrinceKrystal

I'll just go through all seven to see if I can pick out candidates:

• Astronomy: ?
  • Charms: not likely, as he is highly-skilled at spell creation.
  • Defense Against the Dark Arts: arguably his best subject
  • Herbology: goes hand in hand with Potions, so definitely not.
  • History of Magic: ?
  • Potions: ... if I have to explain why this isn't one of them....
  • Transfiguration: like Charms, also not likely.

Right out the gate, DADA and Potions are absolutely not his worst/least favorite subjects. Herbology, Charms, and Transfiguration are also less likely due to textual evidence. This leaves Astronomy and History of Magic.

If I had to pick which one he would enjoy the least or be the worst at, I would say it'd have to be Astronomy by a small margin, as History of Magic would provide some historical entertainment.

Heatherlly, mmlf and Krystal have reacted to this post.
HeatherllymmlfKrystal

We can't really know, but we can make an educated guess that Charms is one of his weaker subjects due to his comments about foolish wand-waving. It clearly doesn't refer to Defense, and Charms is the other major "wand-waving class". Although, he is fairly good at spell creation so it might refer to Transfiguration? That would also be interesting in a way since it's a class that the Marauders excel at (given their success with the Animagus transformation).

Heatherlly, mmlf and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
HeatherllymmlfThe Gestalt PrinceSalvyus

I'm also going to go with Astronomy, for the same reason I chose Divination in the other thread. Neither of these subjects have much practical use, which (to me) seems like it would be Severus's first priority. The spells he invented are a perfect example of this mindset, as all of them were distinctly utilitarian.

That said, I like the idea of him struggling with Transfiguration. I think he would've mastered it later on due to how useful it is, but as a student? Some of the lessons do seem silly/useless (e.g. turning mice into teacups and similar things). I can see him losing patience with that, even if it was a necessary step toward more complex/meaningful applications.

mmlf, The Gestalt Prince and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
mmlfThe Gestalt PrinceKrystalTimeLadyJamieBitterBrit

I choose the Astronomy because I believe he didn't saw much interest in this subject if compared to his favourite subjects - DADA and Potions. Him being a scholar can pull an O or E in Astronomy in his OWLs but I can see him dropping this subject in 6th year onwards.

Heatherlly, mmlf and The Gestalt Prince have reacted to this post.
HeatherllymmlfThe Gestalt Prince
Quote from Heatherlly on February 14, 2023, 2:32 am

I'm also going to go with Astronomy, for the same reason I chose Divination in the other thread. Neither of these subjects have much practical use, which (to me) seems like it would be Severus's first priority. The spells he invented are a perfect example of this mindset, as all of them were distinctly utilitarian.

That said, I like the idea of him struggling with Transfiguration. I think he would've mastered it later on due to how useful it is, but as a student? Some of the lessons do seem silly/useless (e.g. turning mice into teacups and similar things). I can see him losing patience with that, even if it was a necessary step toward more complex/meaningful applications.

Maybe this is a fanon thing, but many fics have Potion ingredient properties vary depending on moon phase, etc. Wouldn't that make Astronomy *critical* for sustaining his intuitive Potions abilities? Knowing why certain ingredients behave a certain way, the magical influences of the sky, etc. We know that at least werewolfs depend on moon phase canoncially. So the sky must have at least some sort of impact on magic. So I don't think Astronomy is purely just the Muggle subject alone.

Heatherlly, mmlf and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
HeatherllymmlfThe Gestalt PrinceKrystalBitterBrit

To add to FIQ's point, Severus Snape was responsible for brewing a potion for Remus Lupin that depended on astronomy: Lupin turning into a werewolf during a full moon.

My choice, therefore, would be History of Magic. Not because Snape himself would hate magical history, but the way it seems to be taught is atrocious, and other than giving Hermione Granger bragging rights about knowing various battles and key decisions, I do not recall Snape taking any real interest in the subject. I may even say that there's little indication that learning all these dates and times will actually help Snape master potions or fight the Dark Arts (barring those historical developments relating to Salazar Slytherin, Tom Riddle, and so on).

Heatherlly, The Gestalt Prince and Krystal have reacted to this post.
HeatherllyThe Gestalt PrinceKrystal

My choice is 'Transfiguration' because it was probably the James Potter's favourite subject and he hated anything Potter related. That doesn't mean sucked at it, on the contrary he was fairly good at it and we saw that in his duel with the McGonagall where he used it in the duel against a renowed master of transfiguration.

Heatherlly, The Gestalt Prince and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
HeatherllyThe Gestalt PrinceKrystalBitterBrit

Oh, good point! I'd forgotten about him using it (which he did extraordinarily well) during their duel.

The Gestalt Prince and Naaga have reacted to this post.
The Gestalt PrinceNaaga

@heatherlly, Snape was completely in control in the duel and was able to duel with her and Flitwick simultaneously while holding back a lot. I would have loved seeing Snape cut loose for once and demonstrate extent of his full power.

Heatherlly, The Gestalt Prince and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
HeatherllyThe Gestalt PrinceKrystalTimeLadyJamieBitterBrit
Page 1 of 2Next