Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Snape and aggressive masculinity

Well Snape has a feminine patronus and rowling doesn't choose symbolic representations without an authentic reason.

The doe is know symbolically to be a caring, protective and emotional animal and at first this might seem to be off match for Snape as on surface he doesn't reprsent the usual doe traits.

He is bitter, he is harsh and cruel. Sarcastic and dry witted usually but as the story unfolds the truth becomes more apparent eventually.

We see him as a teenager being humiliated and tormented by James and James takes more of an aggressive stance in contrast to Snape who is the submissive one.

We have seen harry being bullied by Dudley but he takes more of a masculine stance not feminine that's why feminine harry representation is not that authentic in fanfictions because harry despite being more similar to his mother in temperament is also some one a bit more masculine.

While he is not his father he is still someone more bold, aggressive when the circumstances demand it to be but also physical whether he is in a position he could defend himself or not while Snape despite being powerful cannot be truly physical not that he actually lacks the power but the desire because he chooses to be physical when circumstances demand it even then his reaction is more protective in his battle against minvera mcgonall he chooses protective spells not truly engaging with her while she tries to hurt him.

While he wanted to help them because of his position, he could have still choosen to harm her at least to make her back of but he doesn't.

Snape from these small signs do seem the type to not prefer violence but actually dislikes violence.

His approach like lily is verbal but unlike her his stance is more strategic not always emotional(he does have his moments).

Also ironically more masculine characters seem to be attracted to him like harry, James and even Voldemort perhaps not in that sense but also a bit in the sense they seem fascinated by him even fixated.

I mean we have seen harry obsession with Snape on occasion and that was obsession while Snape did had it out for him, how many times have we seen truly Snape well obsessing over harry the same way?

I believe after my analysis of James in the Snape worst memory that he is both fascinated and repulsed by Snape but doesn't know how to recoil that.

Afterall we see James going out of his way to humiliate Snape. Yes likely because he wanted to impress liliy and his behaviour in front of liliy like by degrading Snape identity, apperance and worth he tries to gain power of Snape through physical power yet he seems to find pleasure in humiliating Snape in a sense that liliy is more of a second choice there.

He dies it because he wants to and the act of showing his underwear in public isn't well pleasing.

It's almost sexual assault because it is certainly physical assault.

I believe James is trying to shut Snape, out denying him his power.

The actions are more of destroying Snape sense of worth not just bullying.

It's about degrading and taking Snape identity away.

This scene matters as stag and doe patronuses symbolism is very evident here and the other doe; lily tries to stop the bullying.

She fails to be effective due to her own gentle nature which is repulsed by physical violence.

Snape in the future is Voldemort advisor but before this his request as a death eater is acknowledged by a man who well doesn't care about anyone yet Voldemort decides to spare liliy even tough he didn't have to.

Especially considering liliy rejected and defied his ideology.

I believe because this due to signs I observed in the novels because Voldemort is someone who seems to detest women well he is more traditionally violent man.

Yet Snape is someone Voldemort isn't sure about but he never loses trust in him in a sense even in cursed child alternate reality Snape is trusted above all which is I believe because Voldemort seems to be personally interested in Snape in a sense.

Afterall Snape intellect, magical potential, creativity, aura all these things are addictive mix and Voldemort must have been appealed by it.

Snape has some allure that manages to get noticed by more masculine characters afterall it's interesting the only character who is male in the series possessing the die patronus is Snape.

His position is unique.

(I am sorry for offending anyone.)