Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Snape boggart

Alright I have been thinking readers make the same assumptions that Snape fear would be losing liliy or it would be multiple fears throughout his life but I disagree afterall considering Snape more introspective and self reflective temperament his fear would be more grounded in nature unlike others it won't be fleeting well boggarts arent fleeting fears anyway but they can be fleeting in the sense that they change

Snape more grounded temperament suggests a more nuanced fear.

We know already Snape is incredibly capable of accepting losses afterall he is a master occulmence and well for mastering occulmency as occulmency is the art of denying one self everything essentially there is reason Snape in the books looks a bit dead.

Snape life had been marked by losses and big ones like in his childhood lack of happiness and stability then his teenage years loss if autonomy externally and social power then well liliy a deep emotional connection as well then his adult years liliy death and his loss of his own ambition in a sense so Snape life is about losses there is no character in the series who understands losses better than Snape.

Others characters boggarts reveal other people corpses as well they can't accept loss and the need personal connections for emotional validation Snape doesn't his arc was about indepedence while he loved deeply as seen in his connection with liliy and dumbledore his ultimate path was alone self sufficient.

Dumbledore needed him more actually as Snape kept his emotions to himself most of the time.

Snape knew himself and didn't really need other people's validation as he knew people judgements can be faulty and people believe in ideals he is the only character in the series not idealistic afterall Rowling herself says that Snape didn't die for ideals.

So his boggart won't be liliy or even dumvkedire as well he will deeply saddened by their deaths he knew and accepted loss was inevitable.

His loss would be more intesopective and I believe it is identity loss.

His own self afterall Snape built his existence around aim purpose and self meaning

What drives him us redemption a cleansing of the soul and act that heals one unlike others who are driven by external validation form  others like recognition money power even love while Snape lived his love was introspective not emotional or physical more spiritual and well intellectual and emotional.

Snape love for knowledge, his Keeness for learning his abilities his self control all indicate a man who believes true mastery comes from within one it's the mind that can be mastered.

Afterall Snape would be terrified of losing his identity the boy rho befriend liliy Evans from the wrong side of the street cared about identity.

The Gestalt Prince, Naaga and comet have reacted to this post.
The Gestalt PrinceNaagacomet

I personally believe that Snape's fear was a reflection of himself not being able to complete what he needed to do. He constantly emphasized that he wasn’t a coward. Rowling said that Snape could have given up and run away at any time, and that he could have survived by revealing to Voldemort that Harry was a Horcrux, but he chose to remain silent for the sake of Harry's victory after the war. So, I think Snape's fear was really about giving up and running away from his duties and promises. The interpretation of Lily's body and Voldemort seems simplistic. If we reflect on how Snape created a Patronus from his memories of Lily, it feels like he has already accepted her death as part of his past. It’s similar to the five stages of grief regarding acceptance. Seeing him continually summon Doe shows that he’s not only recalling happy memories but also recognizing her death each time. 'Always.' So, I don’t think the Boggart itself represents Lily's death.

mmlf, The Gestalt Prince and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
mmlfThe Gestalt PrinceNaagaBitterBritAmal zia