Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Snape in Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Professor Severus Snape appears in the second installment of the Harry Potter series, furious with Harry Potter and Ron Weasley for being seen by Muggles during a hair-raising school ride. Then he has to contend with the exuberant fraudulence of new Defence Against the Dark Arts "Professor", Gilderoy Lockhart.

In this thread, you can discuss anything related to Professor Snape in Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets: scenes, characterisation, things we ought to have seen/known, headcanons, and anything else you like!

Heatherlly and Krystal have reacted to this post.
HeatherllyKrystal

Aside from the main plot, Professor Snape's run-ins with Professor Lockhart make this book very funny.

"We will be able to cure her, Argus," said Dumbledore patiently. "Professor Sprout rcently managed to procure some Mandrakes. As soon as they have reached their full size, I will have a potion made which will revive Mrs Norris."

"I'll make it," Lockhart butted in. "I must have done it a hundred times, I could whip up a Mandrake Restorative Draught in my sleep--"

"Excuse me," said Snape icily, "but I believe I am the Potions master at this school."

There was a very awkward pause.

Chapter 9, p152-153

Needless to say, Snape would have seen through the fraudulent adventures of Professor Lockhart from the beginning. I have still yet to get to Lockhart versus Snape during a Defence Against the Dark Arts class.

Heatherlly, The Gestalt Prince and Krystal have reacted to this post.
HeatherllyThe Gestalt PrinceKrystal

Professor Snape's happiness being squashed in a matter of minutes from Chapter 5:

He goes from 'looking happier than ever' when Professor Dumbledore comes to tell of Harry and Ron for flying Fred's car to Hogwarts to looking 'as though Christmas had been cancelled' and giving Harry and Ron 'a look of pure venom'.

I love the comic timing of Professor Dumbledore trying to diffuse what he obviously sees as Snape's disappointment in this way:

"Come, Severus, there's a delicious-looking custard tart I want to sample."

(page 85)

One can only imagine what Snape was saying in his head to that comment!

Heatherlly, The Gestalt Prince and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
HeatherllyThe Gestalt PrinceKrystalNaaga

Snape could've been thinking Dumbledore favouring another Potter for blatant disregard for the rules and feeling bitter about it.

Heatherlly, mmlf and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
HeatherllymmlfThe Gestalt PrinceKrystal