Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

The Music in Snape's Life

What sort of music do you imagine Snape could have listened to while he was alive?

Note: best answers are songs that would have existed during his lifetime, so nothing past 3 May 1998

mmlf, Krystal and 5 other users have reacted to this post.
mmlfKrystalNaagaWinter's ShadeSalvyusSamDust Collector

The Sound of Silence by Simon & Garfunkel probably. I don't know, that's the only thing I could think of that was actually old.

mmlf, The Gestalt Prince and 6 other users have reacted to this post.
mmlfThe Gestalt PrinceKrystalNaagaWinter's ShadeRobaku90SalvyusDust Collector

So, this list is far from finished but here are the first few I came up with:

• God Save the Queen - Sex Pistols
  • Hotter than Hell - KISS
  • Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap - AC/DC
  • The Wizard - Black Sabbath
  • Blitzkrieg Bop - Ramones
  • School‘s Out - Alice Cooper
  • Rockin‘ all over the World - Status Quo
  • Smoke on the Water - Deep Purple

More to follow soon 😉

mmlf, The Gestalt Prince and 7 other users have reacted to this post.
mmlfThe Gestalt PrinceKrystalNaagaWinter's ShadeBitterBritSalvyusSamDust Collector

I think Schubert's Winterreise (Winter's Journey, Romantic song cycle which also incidentally happens to be my very favourite) is a good candidate for Severus if we go into classical music XD

mmlf, The Gestalt Prince and 5 other users have reacted to this post.
mmlfThe Gestalt PrinceKrystalNaagaWinter's ShadeSalvyusDust Collector

I like Schubert @serenaew . I will check out whether I've heard that piece.  (EDIT: I haven't. Listening to it on YouTube now.)

I think classical music is a good bet for Snape, who might appreciate its cerebral and complicated nature. Also, the idea of potions brewing in a castle with classical music in the background is to die for! For classical composers, I wonder whether he would like the architectural beauty of Bach's music, or the tempestuous nature of Beethoven?

But we know the Wizarding World also has popular songs such as those by Celestina Warbeck. CAn anyone see Snape jamming to those?

Heatherlly, The Gestalt Prince and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
HeatherllyThe Gestalt PrinceNaagaDust Collector

I actually think that even though Sev might enjoy Classical music from time to time, he also loves some harder music. Like Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, KISS, ACDC and so on. But also enjoys Punk music, I can imagine him very well at a Sex Pistols concert.

Heatherlly, mmlf and 5 other users have reacted to this post.
HeatherllymmlfThe Gestalt PrinceNaagaBitterBritRobaku90Dust Collector

My playlists for writing Severus fanfics include songs by:

• The Kinks
  • King Crimson
  • Scott Walker
  • Emerson, Lake & Palmer
  • Pink Floyd
  • David Bowie
  • and Current 93 (especially Dogs Blood Rising and All the Pretty Little Horses)

Apart from that, I think he'd enjoy some calming classics like Liszt, Rachmaninov's slower, more evocative pieces such as the Isle of the Dead or The Rock, Chopin, and some Massenet. Oh, and Ippolitov's Caucasian Sketches.

All in all, I think he'd be into music that really paints a picture in one's mind. So he could find some reprieve from the grim reality that was his life.

Heatherlly, mmlf and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
HeatherllymmlfThe Gestalt PrinceNaagaAltair
Quote from Dust Collector on July 11, 2024, 3:41 pm

My playlists for writing Severus fanfics include songs by:

• The Kinks

Love this band. Hey, Dead End Street sounds like the kind of sarcastic mentality to a life that sucks that would suit Snape, LOL.

Apart from that, I think he'd enjoy some calming classics like Liszt, Rachmaninov's slower, more evocative pieces such as the Isle of the Dead or The Rock, Chopin, and some Massenet. Oh, and Ippolitov's Caucasian Sketches.

Nice, I am going to listen to some of these. Already love Liszt, Chopin, Rachmaninov. I know one piece by Massenet (Meditation des Thais).

Heatherlly, The Gestalt Prince and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
HeatherllyThe Gestalt PrinceNaagaDust Collector
Quote from mmlf on July 12, 2024, 7:42 am

Nice, I am going to listen to some of these. Already love Liszt, Chopin, Rachmaninov. I know one piece by Massenet (Meditation des Thais).

Funnily enough, I've always disliked Meditation, finding it too sweet and languid. Until I've heard the entire opera, that is. Set in context, that piece is actually pretty moving. (That said, I still prefer 'Voilà donc la terrible cité' and 'Je n'ai pas plus choisi mon sort que ma nature!'. The latter directly precedes 'Meditation' and is the finale of Act I, and boy, there are some emotions there. Thais is definitely one of my top 3 operas.)

The Gestalt Prince and Naaga have reacted to this post.
The Gestalt PrinceNaaga