Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Poll: What Do You Think Happened to Spinner's End?

What Do You Think Happened To Spinner's End After Snape Died?
Spinner's End Fell Into Disrepair
The Malfoy family visited and took care of it
Harry Potter visited and took care of it
The Hogwarts Professors, realising Snape's innocence, took care of it
Something else

Select an answer in the poll, and feeel free to explain your reasoning below!

The Gestalt Prince has reacted to this post.
The Gestalt Prince

The description we get of Spinner's End is that many of the houses are abandoned, so odds are that, aside from officials clearing the house out, no one would take care of it.

Heatherlly, mmlf and Krystal have reacted to this post.
HeatherllymmlfKrystal

Depends on whether Snape had a will. I don't think he would've cared about that for the most part, but I can see him donating his books to Hogwarts. He obviously valued knowledge/education, perhaps more than anything else aside from Lily. I think it would bother him to imagine all those books (at least some of which must've been valuable) being left to rot.

As for the options in the poll…

I can see Harry going there once or twice out of curiosity, but I can't imagine the Malfoys doing it. I know many Snape fans (myself included at times) see them in a more forgiving light, but the fact remains that they are largely self interested elitists. Narcissa only visited Spinner's End out of desperation… I don't see any of them choosing to go there unless there was some significant advantage for them.

That's not to say they cared nothing for Severus. I'm sure they did in their own way. I just don't think it extends to caring for his possessions after his death, especially since (from their perspective) those possessions were worthless.

I can't see any of the professors doing it either. While they may have respected Severus as a colleague, I don't see any of them involving themselves in his personal affairs to that extent.

mmlf, The Gestalt Prince and Krystal have reacted to this post.
mmlfThe Gestalt PrinceKrystal

I am also firm believer that Spinner's end eventually fell into desrepair. Snape's possessions and money would be donated to Hogwarts and perhaps some personal items given to Mcgonagall, Draco, Malfoys and other professors. He won't leave anything for Harry as he believed Harry would be dead.

Harry would visit Spinner's End for some closure from Snape and visiting childhood memories of his mother. He may convert it into some small memorial for Snape but I don't see him taking care of the house itself except for taking Snape's possessions related to Lily including the piece of the photograph taken from Grimmauld place.

Heatherlly, mmlf and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
HeatherllymmlfThe Gestalt PrinceNaaga

I can see Harry try to maintain it to keep the memory of Snape alive to him. Not because Snape would want to (he'd rather have the place burn), but rather because it's the kind of person Harry is. He would feel guilty over the way he treated Snape, no matter how justified, and would try to keep the spirit of him alive as a way to get closer to a (former) close friend of his mother. We're talking about the guy who named a son after him.

Heatherlly, mmlf and The Gestalt Prince have reacted to this post.
HeatherllymmlfThe Gestalt Prince

That's a fair point, @fredriq. Harry is far more compassionate, forgiving, and occasionally even sentimental than a lot of people give him credit for. I don't know if that would extend to him maintaining the house long-term, but I'm sure he'd take more of an interest in it than anyone else in the poll.

mmlf, The Gestalt Prince and Krystal have reacted to this post.
mmlfThe Gestalt PrinceKrystal
Quote from FIQ on February 12, 2023, 3:51 pm

I can see Harry try to maintain it to keep the memory of Snape alive to him. Not because Snape would want to (he'd rather have the place burn), but rather because it's the kind of person Harry is. He would feel guilty over the way he treated Snape, no matter how justified, and would try to keep the spirit of him alive as a way to get closer to a (former) close friend of his mother. We're talking about the guy who named a son after him.

This is a very good point. And during Harry's short, but tragic and foolish stint with the Half-Blood Prince's Potions book, he was able to profit from Snape's brilliance.

Heatherlly, The Gestalt Prince and Krystal have reacted to this post.
HeatherllyThe Gestalt PrinceKrystal

I went with the Disrepair option for the reasons mentioned by @kris

Heatherlly, mmlf and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
HeatherllymmlfThe Gestalt PrinceKrystal