Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Young Severus Snape Fancast

Page 1 of 2Next

I came across this guy and I like his looks for a young Severus Snape, what's your verdict guys?

Actor: Finn Wolfhard

Heatherlly, The Gestalt Prince and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
HeatherllyThe Gestalt PrinceKrystalDark AngelSalvyus

Severus is supposed to be rather unattractive and this guy's still rather handsome.

Then again, Hermione is supposed to be ugly too and they cast Emma Watson, so why not?

Heatherlly, The Gestalt Prince and 4 other users have reacted to this post.
HeatherllyThe Gestalt PrinceKrystalNaagaWinter's ShadeSalvyus
Quote from Dark Angel on November 17, 2023, 9:13 am

Severus is supposed to be rather unattractive and this guy's still rather handsome.

Then again, Hermione is supposed to be ugly too and they cast Emma Watson, so why not?

You know, give so called ugly guys nice grooming and they'd look great. I've seen real life examples like it. Snape's tradegy was less of being ugly and more of being a poor guy.

The Gestalt Prince, Krystal and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
The Gestalt PrinceKrystalWinter's ShadeDark AngelSalvyus

Reminds me of this quote that is often mentioned in association with Ronaldo..."You're not ugly, you're just poor"😂

Yeah, if you can afford the grooming  a toad would look good as well. But if we go for real life examples, there are people who are naturally beautiful: no fancy clothes, no appointments at the salon, no elaborate self-care routine but they still make you take a second look.

The Gestalt Prince, Krystal and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
The Gestalt PrinceKrystalNaagaWinter's ShadeSalvyus

Well there are both sort of cases, I believe Snape is someone who'd benefit from grooming to take care of his looks otherwise some of his ugliness can be attributed to his poverty and poor self hygiene and care.

The Gestalt Prince, Krystal and 4 other users have reacted to this post.
The Gestalt PrinceKrystalWinter's ShadeDark AngelBitterBritSalvyus

Well, conventionally a large nose is not really considered a sign of beauty so it is also his appearance, though I agree that taking better care of himself would greatly improve other's view of him.

Staying clean and dressing well will help other's view him in a more positive light and it would enhance his already existing good traits like his intelligence and the confidence he gained in adulthood.

The Gestalt Prince, Krystal and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
The Gestalt PrinceKrystalNaagaSalvyus

I know I've said this before, but there's a difference between Harry's POV and objective fact. Harry strongly dislikes and is often angry with Snape, which gives him every reason to focus on/exaggerate his flaws. We hear all about his greasy hair, his big nose, his crooked teeth, etc. Harry interprets everything about him as negatively as possible, just like many of us do with people we can't stand. His perspective is so biased that (in my opinion) it's unfair to take it literally.

We do have one objective/unbiased description from the Spinners End chapter of HBP:

A sliver of a man could be seen looking out at them, a man with long black hair parted in curtains around a sallow face and black eyes.

Look at what is said here, but more importantly, what isn't said. There's absolutely no mention of the size of his nose, his hair being greasy, any of that. Those omissions are important, because in this scene, JKR is describing what the average person would see, not what Harry sees.

Don't get me wrong – I don't mind if people choose to assume that Snape was unattractive. We all picture characters differently, and none of those perceptions are necessarily right or wrong. What bothers me is when people assume that Harry's descriptions were 100% accurate/take them at face value.

On that note…

I know I've said this before as well, but I don't think Snape (as an adult) had poor hygiene. His hair might've appeared blank or greasy, and maybe it was, but that doesn't necessarily mean he didn't wash it. In fact, I think there's a strong argument that he did bathe regularly, which (ironically) is based in Harry's POV. As established above, Harry picks up on and emphasizes Snape's flaws. If Snape had been dirty/smelled bad, you better believe Harry would've pointed it out. 😂

All that aside, I love the look of that actor in the original post. I picture Snape having somewhat thinner lips, but overall, he looks like a good fit for the character.

The Gestalt Prince, Krystal and 6 other users have reacted to this post.
The Gestalt PrinceKrystalNaagaYampamVenusDark AngelBitterBritSalvyus
Quote from Heatherlly on November 17, 2023, 10:53 pm

I know I've said this before, but there's a difference between Harry's POV and objective fact. Harry strongly dislikes and is often angry with Snape, which gives him every reason to focus on/exaggerate his flaws. We hear all about his greasy hair, his big nose, his crooked teeth, etc. Harry interprets everything about him as negatively as possible, just like many of us do with people we can't stand. His perspective is so biased that (in my opinion) it's unfair to take it literally.

We do have one objective/unbiased description from the Spinners End chapter of HBP:

A sliver of a man could be seen looking out at them, a man with long black hair parted in curtains around a sallow face and black eyes.

Look at what is said here, but more importantly, what isn't said. There's absolutely no mention of the size of his nose, his hair being greasy, any of that. Those omissions are important, because in this scene, JKR is describing what the average person would see, not what Harry sees.

Don't get me wrong – I don't mind if people choose to assume that Snape was unattractive. We all picture characters differently, and none of those perceptions are necessarily right or wrong. What bothers me is when people assume that Harry's descriptions were 100% accurate/take them at face value.

On that note…

I know I've said this before as well, but I don't think Snape (as an adult) had poor hygiene. His hair might've appeared blank or greasy, and maybe it was, but that doesn't necessarily mean he didn't wash it. In fact, I think there's a strong argument that he did bathe regularly, which (ironically) is based in Harry's POV. As established above, Harry picks up on and emphasizes Snape's flaws. If Snape had been dirty/smelled bad, you better believe Harry would've pointed it out. 😂

All that aside, I love the look of that actor in the original post. I picture Snape having somewhat thinner lips, but overall, he looks like a good fit for the character.

Completely agree with what you said.

HeatherllyThe Gestalt PrinceKrystalDark AngelSalvyus

Meanwhile, Rowling claims he smelled like "bitterness and old shoes".

Though, I do take her statements with a grain of salt because she does often contradict herself. Here she claims he smelled bad but although she never hesitated to remind us that his hair was greasy, she never had Harry describe him with an unpleasant scent. Oily hair does tend to smell and there should be sweat too if Snape really doesn't shower but Harry seems way more repulsed by Snape's behavior than his smell. Besides, if he did smell bad I doubt that students would have hesitated to mock him about it  behind his back. I do agree that his hair was greasy as a child due to lack of hygiene (warm water costs money) but as an adult who lives at a boarding school I don't see why he shouldn't shower every day. I agree with the explanation that his hair is greasy due to potion fumes and not necessarily dirty due to lack of hygiene.

I also agree to an extent that Harry's POV isn't that reliable when it comes to Snape but Lockhart wasn't his favorite either and yet he is described as handsome and well-dressed (maybe too much so).

Obviously, people can imagine him however they like I just don't think that he was ever meant as a conventionally handsome character with a large nose and crooked and yellowish teeth, otherwise why would people spent a fortune on nose jobs and a Hollywood smile? As an author described him, if we do see Snape as handsome, then he has the kind of beauty that is only noticed at second glance and I personally agree with that.

Heatherlly, The Gestalt Prince and 4 other users have reacted to this post.
HeatherllyThe Gestalt PrinceKrystalNaagaBitterBritSalvyus

I'm more into Louis Garrel for the young Severus, but this actor also looks well for a young Severus.

HeatherllyThe Gestalt PrinceNaagaDark AngelSalvyus
Page 1 of 2Next