Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Brainstorming, Plot Ideas, and Story Help

PreviousPage 11 of 20Next
Quote from Venus on August 3, 2023, 11:21 am

@thegestaltprince is it really okay for me to use this idea cause I like this one.

Also can I suggest an idea that we can tag plot ideas for fanfiction with emojis that let ppl know that the ideas are for fair use for anyone or want to keep to the original maker.

Here are some of my suggestions on emojis let me know what you guys think.

Fair use emojis: 🖐👍👌

Want to keep emojis: ✊👎👇

Yeah, go for it

Naaga, Dark Angel and JaySM have reacted to this post.
NaagaDark AngelJaySM
Quote from Venus on August 3, 2023, 11:21 am

Also can I suggest an idea that we can tag plot ideas for fanfiction with emojis that let ppl know that the ideas are for fair use for anyone or want to keep to the original maker.

Here are some of my suggestions on emojis let me know what you guys think.

Fair use emojis: 🖐👍👌

Want to keep emojis: ✊👎👇

I think most of the posts that are free to take do mention it or are described as prompts or challenges. If that's not the case, then the author is brainstorming with the other members and in that case the idea shouldn't be taken without the consent of the OP.

The Gestalt Prince, Naaga and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
The Gestalt PrinceNaagaJaySMSalvyus

A plot idea I will probably not get around to write in the foreseeable future. If you like it, you may take it:

Ten years after the final battle at Hogwarts, former Slytherin students end up dead one after another, and Auror Harry Potter alongside his colleagues are puzzled about what may connect these other than their house - some were Death Eaters, others on the run from Voldemort, others had stayed neutral. It does not make sense and each death becomes more gruesome as if the killer was enjoying the media attention. Then, Harry finds out about the informal, not-secret yet secretive Slyth Club - children that had been clandestinely re-homed for the school holidays by Severus Snape himself due to dead, absentee or abusive parents. One after another, those former students drop dead. Is it revenge on Snape? Then a final clue gets to Harry Potter: Snape may be more alive than he had previously thought, and somebody is trying to draw him out of hiding where he has managed to actually found a family ...

Heatherlly, The Gestalt Prince and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
HeatherllyThe Gestalt PrinceNaagaDark AngelSalvyus

Ok so, I've got a problem that I'm probably making more complicated than it needs to be but I'd like opinions on it.

The story I'm writing has a fair amount of Severus's Death Eater friends in it. Mulciber, Avery, and Wilkes.

Right now I have them all referring to each other by their last names and I'm wondering if I should go back and change it so they are more familiar with each other and using their first names.

And maybe I'm weird, but when I change their name to something like Edmond Avery, and then refer to him as Edmond all the time it starts to not feel like the same character to me, partly because everyone in the fandom only knows him as Avery.

That and these characters don't have canon first names so people call them all sorts of different names and it feels all over the place in general.

I don't know. What do you all think? Am I overthinking?

The Gestalt PrinceNaagaDark AngelSalvyus

@Salvyus

BTW I know it's late but I forgot to reply and tell you that I went with your idea of the librarian reporting that Severus was researching divination.

Then I piggybacked off that and came up with a whole backstory about why Dumbledore was trying to finding seers and how he had instructed the staff to always be on the look out for them, it all fits so perfectly, so thank you so much for your help!

Did Draco ever refer to Crabbe and Goyle with their first names in canon? I'm too lazy to check but you could quickly reread the chapters with them.

If not, you could do the same with your group of Slytherins. It would show that they're not close but rather distant despite calling each other friends.

The Gestalt PrinceNaagaNamesakesnakeSalvyus

I just looked it up and he called them Crabbe and Goyle the whole time in the polyjuice scene in the Slytherin common room! It seems like it might be part of their culture to use last names instead of first.

Not really culture as Ron has no trouble referring to Harry and Hermione by their first names.

I would say it shows that the Slytherins don't have real friends only acquaintances, partners in crime, goons, etc. That also explains why Severus had to fight off the Marauders 1 vs. 4, no one really cared enough to help a friend in need but he was good enough to include in some pranks against muggleborns as is implied during Snape's conversation with Lily when she mentions how horrid Mulciber is.

Quote from Namesakesnake on August 18, 2023, 10:33 am

I just looked it up and he called them Crabbe and Goyle the whole time in the polyjuice scene in the Slytherin common room! It seems like it might be part of their culture to use last names instead of first.

I agree about Slytherins mostly using last name for addressing, treating others as associates. Draco also called Blaise, Zabini in the train ride in HBP.

But they addressed really close friends with their first name. Malfoys called Snape, Severus and he also called them by first name. Snape also called Draco by his first name.

I think unless you are portraying other Slytherins as really close group of friends with Snape, addressing them by their last name is fine.

The Gestalt Prince, Namesakesnake and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
The Gestalt PrinceNamesakesnakeDark AngelSalvyus

Naaga's right, they only called close friends by their first names, so examine your characters.

Are you portraying them as close and trusted friends or either just acquaintances? For the former use first names and the latter, family names.

PreviousPage 11 of 20Next