Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Hated headcanons

PreviousPage 2 of 2

Agree with everything else, @darkangel, though I have to disagree with the Potters being "stupid" for having a baby in the middle of a war. First, we don't actually know what contraceptive options were available for magical people or how effective they were... that information unfortunately doesn't exist in canon.

Beyond that, people choosing to procreate in wartime (or similarly dangerous situations) is very common. Part of this is due to the human urge to go on living as normal, and part of it is motivated by biological instinct. People in these situations are often driven (consciously or subconsciously) to pass on their genes while they still have the chance.

This isn't just the Potters. There are many other parents in the series who had children around the same time. I guess we could say that all of them made a bad decision, but it really isn't that simple.

The Gestalt Prince, Naaga and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
The Gestalt PrinceNaagaDark AngelBitterBritSalvyus
Quote from EasternHistorian on November 30, 2023, 6:47 pm
Quote from Salvyus on November 30, 2023, 7:46 am

Snape wasn't sentimental in that scene, he was being an arsehole.

Yes, I think Snape is the last person who would try to give some kind of coded message about Lily to anyone, let alone Harry. In his memories, we see him telling Dumbledore "This must be between us! Swear it! I cannot bear . . . especially Potter’s son ... I want your word!” And then, the first time he meets Harry, he just forgets all that ?

I will, however, disagree with you about him being an arsehole in that scene (this is one of my headcanons that some people might hate). I think it was just Snape's way of trying to find out if Harry was more like Lily or James. I can imagine Lily and Snape being a little like Hermione and reading all their first year books cover to cover multiple times before they got to Hogwarts. And from his point of view, not only has Harry not been reading his books, he even talks back to him - "Hermione knows, why don't you ask her" - which confirms his impression of Harry being just like his father.

100% agreed. Harry failed Severus's test, proving that (in Severus's mind) he was much more like James than Lily. Makes you wonder what might have happened if he'd responded differently... that would be a great premise for a story or writing challenge.

The Gestalt Prince, Naaga and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
The Gestalt PrinceNaagaWinter's ShadeDark AngelSalvyus
Quote from Heatherlly on November 30, 2023, 10:52 pm

100% agreed. Harry failed Severus's test, proving that (in Severus's mind) he was much more like James than Lily. Makes you wonder what might have happened if he'd responded differently... that would be a great premise for a story or writing challenge.

Year 1: Harry Potter and Respecting Madam Hooch's Instructions of Not Flying and Leaving the Philosopher's Stone the Hell Alone

Year 2: Harry Potter and Waiting for the Weasleys by the Car, Not Making Polyjuice Potion in the Bathroom, Not Writing in Tom Riddle's Diary, and Not Going Into the Forbidden Forest At Night

Year 3: Harry Potter and Not Sneaking Into Hogsmeade, and Not Assaulting a Professor

Year 4: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (I don't think he did anything too James-like)

Year 5: Harry Potter and the Time He Took Snape's Lessons Seriously and Didn't Cost His Godfather His Life By Charging into the Department of Ministries

Year 6: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (again, don't remember him doing anything too James-like)

Year 7: Harry Potter and the Time He Didn't Attack a Government Official in Broad Daylight in the Middle of a Trial Taking Place in the Heart of the Ministry, Resulting in His Friend NOT Getting Splinched and Severely Strained Physically, Mentally, and Emotionally

Heatherlly, Naaga and 4 other users have reacted to this post.
HeatherllyNaagaWinter's ShadeDark AngelBitterBritSalvyus

In terms of medicine, wizard folk seem backwarded when it comes to afflictions of the mind but in other areas they are very quick and surpass muggle medicine (how quickly they can heal broken/vanished  bones or Poppy fixing Hermione's teeth in a matter of minutes) I assume there are contraceptive potions at the very least but would say that, due to how old-fashioned their wizarding society still is, their use may not be approved due to ethical concerns. But both parents actively participating in a war (the Potters thrive defied Voldemort) and thus becoming targets is still very risky. Even without the prophecy, James as  an auror would be a significant target for the Death Eaters and I don't think they would spare his wife and child. I see normal civilians assume that they can get away with starting a family but not someone like the Potters or Longbottoms. It could just be instinctive.

@thegestaltprince

Year 4: Harry Potter and the Time He did not have a House-elf Steal from the Potions Master's Storerooms

Year 6: Harry Potter and the Year He did Not Lie About His Schoolbook and Did not almost Murder a Fellow Student by Trying out a New Spell

Heatherlly, The Gestalt Prince and 4 other users have reacted to this post.
HeatherllyThe Gestalt PrinceNaagaWinter's ShadeSalvyusUla
PreviousPage 2 of 2