Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Lily's views on the dark arts.

Lily defended the Marauders by telling Snape, "They don't use dark magic" (although in reality they used jinx~Hex).

First of all, if I were to compare dark magic to reality, I thought it would feel like

Jinx = slingshot/BB gun

Hex = stun gun/nunchaku/taser gun/gas gun

Curse = knife/gun/gas weapon/bomb.

However, as Lily said, when it comes to bullying with ordinary magic, it feels like bullying with household items such as box cutters, pencils, shoes, and thick encyclopedias.

Honestly, isn’t it a bit strange? Let's say that dark magic is generally an offensive skill, and at the curse level it is no different from a 'weapon', so it is bad in the sense that it is used in schools.

However, if we look at the dark magic that Snape created during his school days, with the exception of Sectum Sempra, there is not much difference from the effects of the offensive magic and curses that Harry and the Marauders used for pranks. Even Harry has been using the book's spells for fun pranks. When he found out that it was Snape's spell, he saying, "It was a dark magic that gradually revealed its meanness." Harry is also very contradictory.

Honestly, I think the worst thing is that the Marauders used ordinary magic to harass people. If think about it in harassing people with objects like mops, shoe heels, or pencils.

During the lake incident, Snape almost suffocated because soap bubbles poured out of his mouth due to the cleaning spell. It's hard to understand. I also think about how narrow-minded Lily’s opinions are. If attacking with offensive magic and non-offensive magic result in the same harassment (suffocation with dark magic, suffocation with normal magic), there is no point in the end.

JK Rowling also explained that ordinary magic can become black magic if used with 'will to attack'... Looking at this Setting, did Rowling make a miss? Unless it's a miss, Lily hates black magic, so she only studied the basics and didn't go beyond that?

No matter how think about it, it's complicated... If read the Setting or the actual story, the actions of the character Lily don't seem to fit the setting. Hermione, who could be considered Lily's position, was also good at using jinx-level curse magic. Comparing Hermione and Lily, the feeling is so different that it almost feels like the character Lily was created roughly for the sake of the story.

Heatherlly, The Gestalt Prince and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
HeatherllyThe Gestalt PrinceNaagaTimeLadyJamieBitterBrit

Yeah, and to make things more complicated: if we're going off of the fandom's consensus of Lily's abilities, she's supposed to be good at Charms and Transfiguration, the former of which covers the concept of Dark Charms early on.

Heatherlly, Naaga and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
HeatherllyNaagaTimeLadyJamiecometBitterBrit
Quote from The Gestalt Prince on March 20, 2024, 2:58 pm

Yeah, and to make things more complicated: if we're going off of the fandom's consensus of Lily's abilities, she's supposed to be good at Charms and Transfiguration, the former of which covers the concept of Dark Charms early on.

It seemed like there were many people who thought similarly. A story that often appears in fanfiction is, “You fight against the forces of darkness without studying or knowing anything about black magic?” There are many topics criticizing Lily for this.

Heatherlly, The Gestalt Prince and Naaga have reacted to this post.
HeatherllyThe Gestalt PrinceNaaga

I cover it in my critique of Lily, along with SWM and how the two scenes are frustrating.

Heatherlly, Naaga and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
HeatherllyNaagaTimeLadyJamiecomet
Quote from The Gestalt Prince on March 20, 2024, 3:08 pm

I cover it in my critique of Lily, along with SWM and how the two scenes are frustrating.

Ah, I really enjoyed reading that. Honestly, as I wrote in the past, Snape's memories of Lily that we have seen seem to only show fragments of six years of 'bad memories', so I can't evaluate Lily based on that alone, but my impressions of Lily so far are "She is a good person." “She only cares for what can see and what you can touch.” That’s exactly what it feels like… It’s a pity that there is no story that can evaluate Lily better, other than Snape’s memories.

Heatherlly, The Gestalt Prince and Naaga have reacted to this post.
HeatherllyThe Gestalt PrinceNaaga