Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Meta: Dumbledore and Snape

Did Albus Dumbledore ever harbor hatred for Severus Snape?

Albus initially beheld Severus with the deepest abhorrence, loathing and revulsion, so, for the most part, the answer is, yes.

Later, though, theirs would become a kinship.

"If she (Lily Potter) means so much to you," said Dumbledore, "surely Lord Voldemort will spare her? Could you not ask for mercy for the mother, in exchange for the son?"

"I have – I have asked him – " (Snape)

"You disgust me," said Dumbledore, and Harry had never heard so much contempt in his voice…

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – J.K. Rowling

When Snape met Dumbledore on that dark hilltop near Hogwarts in 1981, the former Chief Warlock of the Wizengamot must have felt swept up 3/4 of a century back in time to his own worst memory.

The remembrance of his break with the original Dark Lord probably poured over him in a cold, emotional deluge.

It is likely that the only person Dumbledore ever wished death upon was Gellert Grindelwald for his role in the death of Ariana Dumbledore; indeed, it is a wonder Albus did not send Grindelwald beyond the Veil at the conclusion of the Duel of 1945.

Beyond Lord Voldemort’s predecessor, there were few who could raise Dumbledore’s ire to the degree the first Dark Lord could; even Voldemort never truly saw Dumbledore’s darkest side.

Dumbledore’s original view of Snape was likely the same as all Severus’s peers; Dear Albus likely saw no saving graces in the childhood nemesis of James Potter.

Of course, if anyone could find it in his heart to look past the ugly surface of Snape’s wretched disposition to see the pounding light of the Potions Master’s love and courage seeking to break through the rubble in the aftermath of his terrible choices, it would be our late headmaster of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft & Wizardry.

As much as Dumbledore despised his future protégé when Snape approached him to request Lily’s protection, Albus had to see a great deal of himself in Severus.

For, Dumbledore, too, had once begged for the life of a loved one.

The eighty-plus years that had passed since Ariana’s death must have felt like only yesterday to our one-time Supreme Mugwump upon meeting Snape to discuss Voldemort’s reaction to Sybil Trelawney’s Lost Prophecy.

"It’s all my fault…" he (Dumbledore) sobbed. "Please make it stop..."

…Dumbledore began to cower as though invisible torturers surrounded him…

…he moaned, "Don't hurt them… …please… …it’s my fault, hurt me instead ..." …he fell forward, screaming again, hammering his fists upon the ground...

"Please, please, please, no..." …he yelled, "KILL ME!"

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince – Rowling

Any initial feelings of hatred towards Snape would change, of course.

Demanding Snape follow a path to deliverance, as Albus had done after the death of his sister, and to see Severus subject himself to immediate peril upon Voldemort’s return, Dumbledore would appreciate more clearly than anyone what Severus was really made of, at least until Harry’s final journey into the Pensieve where the tragic life of the Half-Blood Prince was revealed.

For Snape and Dumbledore had shared a self-loathing few can really understand.

Each had followed a track of arrogance and ignorance in their youth, seeking the approval of those two most evil of wizards, Grindelwald and Voldemort, only to discover the error of their ways at points too far down the road.

Both were directly (if not completely) responsible for the death of someone they loved dearly, each too late in their desperate attempts to avoid tragedy.

We could almost ask if Severus ever knew of Albus’s own catastrophic history and if so, then, did Snape ever hate Dumbledore?

Severus would likely have only felt he was looking at an older reflection of himself in a desolate and forlorn mirror.

If misery truly does loves company, it was then only fitting that Snape and Dumbledore spent so many countless hours and long nights scheming over plans to bring down Voldemort.

"You have done very well, Severus... …Dumbledore's tone was conversational… …"I am fortunate, extremely fortunate, that I have you, Severus."

"If you had only summoned me a little earlier, I might have been able to do more…" said Snape...

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Rowling

Did Albus Dumbledore ever really hate Severus Snape?

Only to the degree that he hated himself, and probably less than even that much.

Once Albus realized how anguished, ashamed and heart-broken Snape really was, any hatred would have dissipated like fading embers in a dying fire; indeed, they would become as close as brothers.

Albus probably saw in Snape, the only other person in the wizarding world who could veritably understand Dumbledore’s lifetime of regret.

https://www.quora.com/Did-Dumbledore-hate-Snape?redirect_to_mweb=1

Hey it's me V.

Leave what you think in the comments

The Gestalt Prince, Krystal and 6 other users have reacted to this post.
The Gestalt PrinceKrystalNaagaYampamWinter's ShadeDark AngelBitterBritJaySM

Sorry one last one again this is not my comment this is by Jack Bridges

I gotta hand it to you, though I do disagree on certain points you make, you probably have the most in-depth understanding of Severus Snape and Albus Dumbledore out of anyone I’ve ever known of (and that includes the author herself).

Though I’m sure Dumbledore manipulated Snape in the beginning (and intentionally too), I do believe that he began to see him as a peer and close friend with time.

I think this is why he was especially shocked when Snape cast the patronus to show that he was still going for Lily Evans, Dumbledore I like to think had nearly forgotten that was the thing he used to tie Snape to his service.

He thought that Snape now simply did it because he thought it was right (and I’m sure that was true to some degree) but he also thought that he’d grown past living off of the memory of his childhood and eternal love.

I feel like that was one of the moments Dumbledore felt true remorse; though he knew what he did was necessary, he had caused one of the men he trusted and (platonically) loved above anyone else to be little more than a dead man walking, holding onto that single thread that gave him the drive to constantly do the next right thing.

Dumbledore is more human than ever when he interacts with Severus later in the books, and of course this is when Severus is most vulnerable (aside from in giving Harry his memories). The relationship between these two is so complex on so many levels one could read the books countless times and still not fully grasp it, but you’ve managed to form such an amazing understanding of their relationship and I really admire that.

The Gestalt Prince, Krystal and 6 other users have reacted to this post.
The Gestalt PrinceKrystalNaagaYampamWinter's ShadeDark AngelBitterBritInterwovenMadness