Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

The Diagnosis of Severus Snape

It's no secret that our favorite Potions professor has, to put it mildly, personal problems. He's mean and vindictive at times, particularly in the direction of Harry and Neville due to personal reasons. There have been other posts in various HP or Snape communities regarding his problems, either character flaws or perhaps unspoken disorders.

In my own reading of the character, I believe Snape has a few traits tied to sociopathy, almost to the point where I would refer to him as a sociopath. I'm not a psychologist, so I'm not confident in my conclusion, which is why I'm posting this here to get other people's input on the matter. I have a couple of links that contributed to my current opinion:

Psychopaths, Sociopaths, Narcissists, Dark Empaths

Psychopaths vs. Sociopaths

A quick note: calling Snape a sociopath does not mean that I think he's a bad person. He's good and bad, but he is constantly at odds with the bad side; sometimes he fights it, other times he embraces it.

Feel free to watch the videos and let me know your thoughts on the subject.

Heatherlly, mmlf and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
HeatherllymmlfKrystalNaaga

Disclaimer: I come at this from the perspective of someone who believes that people are excessively diagnosed and/or pathologized in our society. That's not to say that I don't think mental disorders are real (they obviously are)… I'm just hesitant/uncomfortable with armchair diagnoses, especially in cases where there are no shortage of circumstantial/environmental factors to consider.

In other words, not everything is a mental disorder. We might observe traits that would seem to fall under one of those categories (i.e. sociopathy), but that isn't the only (or even most likely) explanation.

For example, let's look at Severus's depression. I do think he was deeply depressed throughout his adult life, but was that due to a chemical imbalance in his brain? Or is it a natural reaction to a devastating loss, one he holds himself personally responsible for?

I personally think that depression (and the underlying grief/remorse/self-loathing) explains most, if not all, of his adult behavior. Plainly put, he was miserable, and miserable people often have a hard time maintaining close relationships or empathizing with others. They can be emotionally volatile because (for lack of a better term), they're wounded animals. When something triggers/magnifies that pain, lashing out is a natural reaction.

That's what I see with Severus. When he does lash out, there's always a reason for it, a direct connection to the trauma he's suffered. This is a clear sign of PTSD if one is looking for a psychological diagnosis, but sociopathy? I just don't see it. Not with Severus, at any rate.

Antisocial personality disorder, sometimes called sociopathy, is a mental disorder in which a person consistently shows no regard for right and wrong and ignores the rights and feelings of others. People with antisocial personality disorder tend to antagonize, manipulate or treat others harshly or with callous indifference. They show no guilt or remorse for their behavior.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/antisocial-personality-disorder/symptoms-causes/syc-20353928#:~:text=Overview,rights%20and%20feelings%20of%20others.

Honestly, this sounds more like Sirius than it does Severus. I could point to multiple examples, but the werewolf incident alone is a prime example of sociopathic behavior. Even as an adult, Sirius is impulsive/reckless, barely able to restrain himself from putting his own safety and that of others at risk. Ultimately, he loses that battle, which of course, is what gets him killed. He's erratic in general and can't handle adult responsibilities, which of course, is another hallmark of sociopathy.

Individuals with antisocial personality disorder often violate the law, becoming criminals. They may lie, behave violently or impulsively, and have problems with drug and alcohol use. Because of these characteristics, people with this disorder typically can't fulfill responsibilities related to family, work or school.

Severus is the opposite. He's able to handle a great deal of responsibility and would've never been able to accomplish even half of what he did without a great deal of self-discipline. He started working as a professor from a very young age, and by all accounts, he was a reliable employee and a genuinely good teacher. He might not have been warm and fuzzy with his students, but he was effective and obviously took his job seriously.

Going back further, it's also clear that he was a good student. He might've had friction with the Marauders, but there's no evidence that he was a rule breaker in general. We never hear about him pranking or bullying other students, nor ending up in detention like James or Sirius. He comes across as more of a nerd (or swot for UK readers), someone who valued education and took his studies very seriously.

Back to adulthood…

He might have been harsh at times, but I can't recall him ever putting Harry (or any other student) at risk. If anything, he's overly cautious, to the point that when he does lose his temper, it's usually in reaction to what he perceives as danger. Harry and his friends breaking rules. Dumbledore allowing Harry to enter the tournament, or letting a werewolf teach at the school. Unlike Sirius (or Dumbledore), he doesn't play fast and loose with anyone's safety. He relies on (and does his best to enforce) rules and structures, which is the opposite of what a sociopath would do.

List of sociopathic symptoms (same source):

• Disregard for right and wrong
  • Persistent lying or deceit to exploit others
  • Being callous, cynical and disrespectful of others
  • Using charm or wit to manipulate others for personal gain or personal pleasure
  • Arrogance, a sense of superiority and being extremely opinionated
  • Recurring problems with the law, including criminal behavior
  • Repeatedly violating the rights of others through intimidation and dishonesty
  • Impulsiveness or failure to plan ahead
  • Hostility, significant irritability, agitation, aggression or violence
  • Lack of empathy for others and lack of remorse about harming others
  • Unnecessary risk-taking or dangerous behavior with no regard for the safety of self or others
  • Poor or abusive relationships
  • Failure to consider the negative consequences of behavior or learn from them
  • Being consistently irresponsible and repeatedly failing to fulfill work or financial obligations

I could refute (or give a more plausible explanation for) every one of these. I've already covered several, though there's one more I'd like to focus on:

Failure to consider the negative consequences of behavior or learn from them

That, more than anything, is why I don't believe Severus could've been a sociopath. While he might not have understood the ramifications of delivering the prophecy, he spent the rest of his life learning from (and attempting to correct) that mistake. Also, it goes without saying that he suffered extreme, crippling remorse, which again, is deeply uncharacteristic of a sociopath.

Finally, I'd point out that inner feelings don't necessarily match outward actions. To me, this defines Severus's character and is an ongoing theme throughout the books. He seems evil. He isn't. He gave the appearance of murdering Dumbledore? Not what happened. Again and again, we see this, and it's because Severus is a master when it comes to hiding his feelings. Not for pleasure or personal gain (sociopathic tendencies), but to protect himself and others while fulfilling his mission.

I know I've brought this up in other threads, but I feel like it cannot be overstated. Severus has to give off a certain impression on both sides… expressing his true feelings is a luxury he often doesn't have. What's real? What's part of the act? Does he really like/hate this character, or does he just need them to think he does?

In some cases, the answers are relatively clear. He has no reason to like characters like Remus or Sirius, and much of his hostility toward Harry feels real. Still, there is often more nuance, hints that he cares more than he lets on. To me, this makes sense for his personality… I don't think anyone who loved so deeply/felt so much remorse would also be incapable of empathy or genuine concern for others. He may not show it, but there are plenty reasons as to why he wouldn't. Just to name a few…

1.) Trauma/circumstances aside, Severus is an English born male from an older generation (Baby Boomer). Generally not known for being open/effusive with their emotions, which I suspect is even more true when one comes from an impoverished/working-class background.

2.) As mentioned above, Severus is miserable. This makes it harder to absorb other people's negative emotions, especially when they're directed at you. In other words, I can see Severus feeling bad for his behavior, only to find reasons to justify it or push it away. Not an ideal coping mechanism, but it would make sense. Why would he choose to feel worse than he already does?

3.) He's afraid to care too much.

I'm sure he didn't regret loving Lily, but it also led to a lifetime of suffering. Deliberately keeping people at arm's length or even alienating them might feel safer than getting attached, especially if he fears that the latter could end in another tragedy.

4.) He doesn't deserve it.

Obviously, Severus blames himself for Lily's death. That comes with a great deal of self-loathing, which is reflected in his outward behavior. This could simply be a a result of his unhappiness, as mentioned above, but it could also be deliberate. In other words, he chooses to make himself unlikable as a form of self punishment, believing it's no more than he deserves.

5.) Already mentioned, but again, appearances are important. Severus's primary role is that of a spy, which is the first thing we should consider in his interactions with other characters. What reason does he have to behave this way that goes beyond personal feelings? What impression would this give to Voldemort if he became aware of it?

Not every interaction is relevant in this way, but it's good to keep an eye out for those that could be. That's the key to understanding his character (as much as that is possible) – nothing is ever as simple as it seems.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I hope this doesn't come off as defensive or confrontational. Believe me, that wasn't my intention at all. I find it a fascinating subject, even if we disagree, and I appreciate you posting this thread. If there's anything I said you'd like to dispute, by all means, feel free!

In the meantime, check out that symptom list again. I don't know if anyone else sees it, but to me, it really is an accurate description (almost frighteningly so) of Sirius Black.

mmlf, SanctuaryAngel and 7 other users have reacted to this post.
mmlfSanctuaryAngelThe Gestalt PrinceGlacierValleyKrystalrattyNaagaMotanul NegruGhost
Quote from Heatherlly on December 24, 2022, 8:10 am

I hope this doesn't come off as defensive or confrontational. Believe me, that wasn't my intention at all. I find it a fascinating subject, even if we disagree, and I appreciate you posting this thread. If there's anything I said you'd like to dispute, by all means, feel free!

In the meantime, check out that symptom list again. I don't know if anyone else sees it, but to me, it really is an accurate description (almost frighteningly so) of Sirius Black.

Oh no worries, I'm happy you responded and took the time to break down not only sociopathy, but also how it relates to Severus. Looking over the list in relation to Severus's actions, I can see that this is more applicable to Sirius, and I'm tempted to post something similar for the Marauders just to see how they line up.

Heatherlly, mmlf and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
HeatherllymmlfKrystalNaaga
Quote from The Gestalt Prince on December 24, 2022, 12:35 pm
 I'm tempted to post something similar for the Marauders just to see how they line up.

By all means, please do!

mmlf, The Gestalt Prince and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
mmlfThe Gestalt PrinceKrystalNaaga

I might add that I would definitely diagnose Sirius Black with genetic mood disorders, much like his cousin Bellatrix Black/Lestrange.  Of course, being in Gryffindor where his behavior was tacitly allowed as long as he attacked Slytherins (especially Snape) probably didn't help much. Bellatrix probably had a few detentions herself, but as we see in Hogwarts, people who are rich purebloods tend to draw less punishment for such behavior no matter what house they're in. Note that Avery and Mulciber during the Marauder era seem not to have been punished much either. James Potter grew up spoiled as the only son who was born late in his parents' lives (probably considered a 'miracle baby' and continued to be enabled especially in Gryffindor, and especially when he and his gang attacked Snape.

I have sometimes proposed that Snape was allowed to be attacked so much because he superficially resembled another poor, half-blood Slytherin whom Dumbledore wished had been treated the way Snape was. Note that his name isn't on the cards that Harry sees in his detention in sixth year; yes, Snape might have sorted them out, or given that he still had classes to teach, perhaps crimes against him just weren't punished. Given that a murder attempt against him was covered up, I tend towards the second supposition.

Heatherlly, The Gestalt Prince and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
HeatherllyThe Gestalt PrinceGlacierValleyKrystalNaaga

I'd bet every cent that Bellatrix was a full-blown psychopath, no exaggeration. As for Sirius and the other Marauders, I actually posted another thing pulling them through the listed traits for both sociopathy and narcissism, if you wanted to check it out and add your two cents.

Heatherlly, Krystal and Naaga have reacted to this post.
HeatherllyKrystalNaaga