Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Was Severus an accomplished cook or not?

Was Severus an accomplished cook or not?

In my opinion Severus, as a good potions master, was an excellent cook.
I imagine him carefully choosing ingredients and preparing the most delicious dishes.
Perhaps he would not do this for himself, deeming it an unnecessary process and not taking much care of himself.
But what if he had someone as a guest?

Lucius, for example? ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜
His slender physique juggles the kitchen moving frantically but at the same time with precision.
His elegant hands cutting ingredients and moving between pans.
His sweaty forehead and hair pulled back into a low ponytail for comfort.
A perfect vision ๐Ÿซ ๐Ÿซ ๐Ÿคค๐Ÿคค
But what if he found it all unnecessary instead?
Believing that cooking cannot give him the knowledge he feels is important for his education?
He could often order take-out food during the summer vacations and the rest of the year he would have no problem at Hogwarts.
Having lived in a terrible family environment, he might find the kitchen something distant from him because it would mean "home hearth."
In my heart I would like him to really devote himself to the noble art of cooking (I am Italian๐Ÿ˜‚) and to spend some time to himself pampering himself with the preparation of his comfort food ๐Ÿ’š

Heatherlly, The Gestalt Prince and 5 other users have reacted to this post.
HeatherllyThe Gestalt PrinceKrystalNaagaYampamWinter's ShadeDark Angel

I agree and also think that Snape was a good cook. I believe Potion making akin to both cooking and chemistry and Snape being an accomplished Potions Master can certainly pull off mouth watering dishes alongwith his own signature dishes.

*Hearing Snape and Italian dishes together*ย  ๐Ÿ˜‹๐Ÿคค

Heatherlly, SanctuaryAngel and 5 other users have reacted to this post.
HeatherllySanctuaryAngelThe Gestalt PrinceKrystalWinter's ShadeDark AngelGiorgia

Severus definitely has the precision and patience for culinary art. Cutting and preparing ingredients are similar to potion preparation, obviously minus the magical factor.

But there are definitely similarities there, especially considering cooking times, and ways to cook (simmering/boiling/frying/stewing).

Not to mention he could follow recipes to perfection, and likely create his own version of a dish by adding/subtracting.

Not that he would have had much time to cook at all, but he would have been bloody brilliant at it.

Heatherlly, The Gestalt Prince and 5 other users have reacted to this post.
HeatherllyThe Gestalt PrinceKrystalNaagaWinter's ShadeDark AngelGiorgia

I have a different opinion here. I don't think Snape would be a bad cook per se but rather that he is not someone who lives to eat but eats to live. I kind of see him just preparing something quick to fill his stomach and devote his time to more important matters or even skipping meals, cooking would be a trivial thing to him.

He also doesn't seem to care about himself that much. I see his lack of self-care and hygiene as a sign of depression but if he can't bother to care for his hair and teeth or change his clothes more often, I don't see why he would really make an exception when it comes to a healthy and well balanced diet. His skin color and lean appearance also suggest that he looks rather sickly and doesn't eat well and healthy..so no I don't see him as a 5 star chef.

He also grew up poor, I think in their household it was more important to not go hungry rather than try out different dishes.

Heatherlly, mmlf and 6 other users have reacted to this post.
HeatherllymmlfSanctuaryAngelThe Gestalt PrinceKrystalNaagaWinter's ShadeGiorgia
Quote from Dark Angel on June 14, 2023, 6:26 am

I have a different opinion here. I don't think Snape would be a bad cook per se but rather that he is not someone who lives to eat but eats to live. I kind of see him just preparing something quick to fill his stomach and devote his time to more important matters or even skipping meals, cooking would be a trivial thing to him.

He also doesn't seem to care about himself that much. I see his lack of self-care and hygiene as a sign of depression but if he can't bother to care for his hair and teeth or change his clothes more often, I don't see why he would really make an exception when it comes to a healthy and well balanced diet. His skin color and lean appearance also suggest that he looks rather sickly and doesn't eat well and healthy..so no I don't see him as a 5 star chef.

He also grew up poor, I think in their household it was more important to not go hungry rather than try out different dishes.

For example, his skin color and extreme thinness I believe are due to a severe form of anemia.
As for nutrition I also share this view, his lack of care for his physical appearance and beyond may reflect this as well....

Heatherlly, mmlf and 5 other users have reacted to this post.
HeatherllymmlfSanctuaryAngelThe Gestalt PrinceKrystalNaagaWinter's Shade
Quote from Dark Angel on June 14, 2023, 6:26 am

I totally agree.

While I believe Severus could have been an accomplished cook under different circumstances, I see no evidence (or motivation) for it in canon. Beyond the reasons @darkangel mentioned (all of which are strong indicators), it's also worth pointing out that he spends 10 months a year at Hogwarts, something he's done since he was a child and where all meals are provided for him. That gives him even less reason/motivation (and opportunity) to hone his cooking skillsโ€ฆ why would he go to all that trouble to feed himself (and only himself) for just eight weeks out of the year?

mmlf, SanctuaryAngel and 6 other users have reacted to this post.
mmlfSanctuaryAngelThe Gestalt PrinceKrystalNaagaWinter's ShadeDark AngelGiorgia