Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Alpha/Omega

Page 1 of 2Next
Hello Bugs!

I'm curious what your opinion is on Alpha/Omega type fanfics. I didn't even know that such a thing existed until I immersed myself in the world of fanfiction.

A lot of these are written by one of my favorite authors, mermaid886. I pick up on Snily shipping, but I bet every couple has that kind.

At first it seemed very strange, animalistic (probably because of the "heat" that Lily is in), but then I liked it because there is a lot of lemon in it, by the way. 😛

I would like to know your opinion. Do you like it or hate it? Or maybe you know some titles of this kind?

I even wanted to put one title from Ao3 in the "weird" section, but the author had already deleted the story. It's a pity, hardcore stuff was happening there. 🤣
The Gestalt Prince, Naaga and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
The Gestalt PrinceNaagaSalvyusSam
I hope the word "bugs" isn't offensive. I would like to use the word for "vermicule", a small insect. In Polish, "insekt" has a bad meaning. “Robaczek” is nice. Our Polish teacher in high school called us "Robaku", hence my name. In the Baroque period, one Polish writer named his pet otter that way and described it in his diaries. So I could have an otter as a patronus. 😃
The Gestalt PrinceNaagaSalvyusSam

Personally, I don't enjoy A/B/O stories. That may be due to my being demisexual as hell but it just feels like a shortcut to sex. You don't have to find a believable way to get two characters together if they are forced to come together. And while I do get that that kind of dynamic can be interesting to write, the few A/B/O stories I looked into never elaborated on how messed up the whole thing is because "hormones, pheromones and they want it so badly, they just fit perfectly".
The same problem, btw, with a lot of Marriage Law stories that are wildly popular with Snamione. It can be really good if the author takes their time to work through how messed up it is being forced to marry someone you barely know and who has been your teacher/student but sometimes it is used as a shortcut to sex because "they have to breed within a year".
So, I'd prefer an 'established relationship' pure smut story over any A/B/O story. I need bonding, I need to feel the emotions and I need a myriad of character and relationship insight and development during sex to enjoy reading it. I tend to skip sex scenes that are only there because of sex. 😆

Heatherlly, SanctuaryAngel and 5 other users have reacted to this post.
HeatherllySanctuaryAngelThe Gestalt PrinceNaagaRobaku90SalvyusSam

Okay, so I looked into specifics on what A/B/O is, and then checked the tag on AO3, and yeah, a lot of it is smut. And looking at the chart, I'm starting to think about the logistics of what happens for someone to become one of those.

Heatherlly, Naaga and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
HeatherllyNaagaRobaku90SalvyusSam

Screw it, I'm actually gonna do logistics on how A/B/O might work in the Wizarding World. To make things fit, I'm going to make A/B/O specific to wizardkind.

We know that an individual is born as a witch or wizard by random chance (less likely) or by magical parentage (more likely), making magic an inheritable (genetic?) trait. We know that genetic traits are inheritable or can be caused by mutation, so I'm going to go down this route.

• If going down the route that A/B/O is both magical and genetic, and is present throughout the entire wizarding population, then the A/B/O genes would have to be within the X chromosome, as it's the sex chromosome that all humans have. However, as this specific X chromosome is related to wizardkind, I'm going to refer to it as wizard-X, or "WIX" for short. This doesn't mean that magic is exclusive to X, but I'm going to make the A/B/O part exclusive to X.

One thing I don't know is how A/B/O works in terms of inheritance, so I'll focus on that for this bit. Let's say an alpha and an omega have children; what determines if said children develop into alphas or omegas instead of betas (which seems to be standard human reproductive systems)? The previous question assumes that becoming an alpha or an omega is a development (as in changing from one thing to another, which would most likely occur at some point during puberty during sexual development), while beta remains the same. Therefore, for the sake of this post, I'll conclude that:

• WIX, in its earliest stages, expresses itself as beta (WIX-B), which would mean that its natural state is identical to Muggle-X (which I'll just call X for the sake of brevity).
  • During puberty, WIX will go through some sort of development so that it results in the individual either becoming an alpha (WIX-A) or omega (WIX-O).

Now, like with real-life mutations, said mutations are recessive within the X chromosome. Something that happens is that, when a woman has one X chromosome without a mutation and one X chromosome with a mutation, the mutation doesn't express itself within her but can be inherited by her offspring. However, when a male's X chromosome has the mutation, it expresses itself within him. Following everything that I've presented so far, I'll say that WIX-B is a dominant expression and pairing it with WIX-A or WIX-O would result in the individual remaining as a beta. So, I'll borrow this concept for the A/B/O thing (I'm using a chart on Wikipedia to base the traits of A/B/O on):

• Witch
    • Alpha (dominant, hermaphroditic, internal male and female gonads, phallus) = 2WIX-B -> 2WIX-A
    • Beta (identical to Muggles)
      • WIX-B + X (WIX-BX)
      • 2WIX-B (WIX-BB)
      • 2WIX-B (WIX-BB) -> WIX-A + WIX-B (WIX-AB)
      • 2WIX-B (WIX-BB) -> WIX-O + WIX-B (WIX-OB)
    • Omega (submissive) = 2WIX-B (WIX-BB) -> 2WIX-O (WIX-OO)
  • Wizard
    • Alpha (dominant) = WIX-B + Y (WIX-BY) -> WIX-A + Y (WIX-AY)
      • X + Y (XY)
      • WIX-B + Y (WIX-BY)
    • Omega (submissive, hermaphroditic, external male gonads and internal female gonads, birth canal attached to the intestinal tract akin to a bird's cloaca) = WIX-B + Y (WIX-BY) = WIX-O + Y (WIX-OY)

One thing that this doesn't take into account is if a female develops from WIX-BB to WIX-AO (having both alpha and omega genes simultaneously).

Heatherlly, SanctuaryAngel and 4 other users have reacted to this post.
HeatherllySanctuaryAngelNaagaBitterBritRobaku90Sam
Quote from CharlotteRhea on March 24, 2024, 1:47 pm

Personally, I don't enjoy A/B/O stories. That may be due to my being demisexual as hell but it just feels like a shortcut to sex. You don't have to find a believable way to get two characters together if they are forced to come together. And while I do get that that kind of dynamic can be interesting to write, the few A/B/O stories I looked into never elaborated on how messed up the whole thing is because "hormones, pheromones and they want it so badly, they just fit perfectly".
The same problem, btw, with a lot of Marriage Law stories that are wildly popular with Snamione. It can be really good if the author takes their time to work through how messed up it is being forced to marry someone you barely know and who has been your teacher/student but sometimes it is used as a shortcut to sex because "they have to breed within a year".
So, I'd prefer an 'established relationship' pure smut story over any A/B/O story. I need bonding, I need to feel the emotions and I need a myriad of character and relationship insight and development during sex to enjoy reading it. I tend to skip sex scenes that are only there because of sex. 😆

@charlotterhea

In the Snily I read, being an A/O couple involved romantic feelings. I don't like the Hermione and Severus couple, so I don't know how it happened there.
The Gestalt Prince, Naaga and Sam have reacted to this post.
The Gestalt PrinceNaagaSam
Quote from The Gestalt Prince on March 24, 2024, 3:41 pm

Screw it, I'm actually gonna do logistics on how A/B/O might work in the Wizarding World. To make things fit, I'm going to make A/B/O specific to wizardkind.

We know that an individual is born as a witch or wizard by random chance (less likely) or by magical parentage (more likely), making magic an inheritable (genetic?) trait. We know that genetic traits are inheritable or can be caused by mutation, so I'm going to go down this route.

• If going down the route that A/B/O is both magical and genetic, and is present throughout the entire wizarding population, then the A/B/O genes would have to be within the X chromosome, as it's the sex chromosome that all humans have. However, as this specific X chromosome is related to wizardkind, I'm going to refer to it as wizard-X, or "WIX" for short. This doesn't mean that magic is exclusive to X, but I'm going to make the A/B/O part exclusive to X.

One thing I don't know is how A/B/O works in terms of inheritance, so I'll focus on that for this bit. Let's say an alpha and an omega have children; what determines if said children develop into alphas or omegas instead of betas (which seems to be standard human reproductive systems)? The previous question assumes that becoming an alpha or an omega is a development (as in changing from one thing to another, which would most likely occur at some point during puberty during sexual development), while beta remains the same. Therefore, for the sake of this post, I'll conclude that:

• WIX, in its earliest stages, expresses itself as beta (WIX-B), which would mean that its natural state is identical to Muggle-X (which I'll just call X for the sake of brevity).
  • During puberty, WIX will go through some sort of development so that it results in the individual either becoming an alpha (WIX-A) or omega (WIX-O).

Now, like with real-life mutations, said mutations are recessive within the X chromosome. Something that happens is that, when a woman has one X chromosome without a mutation and one X chromosome with a mutation, the mutation doesn't express itself within her but can be inherited by her offspring. However, when a male's X chromosome has the mutation, it expresses itself within him. Following everything that I've presented so far, I'll say that WIX-B is a dominant expression and pairing it with WIX-A or WIX-O would result in the individual remaining as a beta. So, I'll borrow this concept for the A/B/O thing (I'm using a chart on Wikipedia to base the traits of A/B/O on):

• Witch
    • Alpha (dominant, hermaphroditic, internal male and female gonads, phallus) = 2WIX-B -> 2WIX-A
      • WIX-B + X (WIX-BX)
      • 2WIX-B (WIX-BB)
      • 2WIX-B (WIX-BB) -> WIX-A + WIX-B (WIX-AB)
      • 2WIX-B (WIX-BB) -> WIX-O + WIX-B (WIX-OB)
    • Omega (submissive) = 2WIX-B (WIX-BB) -> 2WIX-O (WIX-OO)
  • Wizard
    • Alpha (dominant) = WIX-B + Y (WIX-BY) -> WIX-A + Y (WIX-AY)
      • X + Y (XY)
      • WIX-B + Y (WIX-BY)
    • Omega (submissive, hermaphroditic, external male gonads and internal female gonads, birth canal attached to the intestinal tract akin to a bird's cloaca) = WIX-B + Y (WIX-BY) = WIX-O + Y (WIX-OY)

One thing that this doesn't take into account is if a female develops from WIX-BB to WIX-AO (having both alpha and omega genes simultaneously).

@thegestaltprince

Oh Lady! I admire you for your analytical mind! Are you a biologist, teacher, researcher?

The last time I saw such schedules was during a genetics class in high school, but I was lost when it came to large ones and I always had poor grades. 🤣 Congratulations!

Interesting analysis. I think that genetics also affected the wizarding world. 😃
The Gestalt Prince, Naaga and Sam have reacted to this post.
The Gestalt PrinceNaagaSam

@robaku90 I guess most A/B/O stories eventually involve romantic feelings. Doesn't change the fact that in my eyes (and this is a totally personal opinion and isn't based on anything else than the vibe I got from the couple of stories I looked into) the point of A/B/O is to make two characters have sex before they are romantically interested in each other. Or at least before they are ready to act upon it. They use sex as a catalyst to make the characters either fall in love or confess their feelings.
And that's not specific to Snamione. Actually, the first A/B/O story I looked into was Dramione. But all of the stories I've checked so far began with one character - typically the woman - getting into heat and suffering horribly because she needs to have sex with an alpha. That's literally what those stories are about. And since I'm the 'let them have sex in chapter 53' type of reader whose slow burn can't be slow enough, that's just not my cup of tea. 😉

But if you enjoy A/B/O stories, then go for it! That's why we have so many different types of fics, not everybody enjoys the same. 😊

The Gestalt PrinceNaagaRobaku90Sam

@robaku90 None of the above, I was just very bored. I only know very rudimentary knowledge of dominant/recessive traits.

Naaga, Robaku90 and Sam have reacted to this post.
NaagaRobaku90Sam

I can't believe you forgot the most important Megaverse out of all. The Sigma Universe! It is the most underrated and overlooked Megaverse in my humble opinion.

In this megaverse, Severus is a true Chad. He has that chiseled physique of a Greek God and a jawline that would make every character wet themselves out of sheer excitement, be they men or women.

Eileen Prince was practically a princess. Her beauty and charm were envied by entirety of wizardkind. Tobias was a wealthy billionaire and a gentleman who loved his wife dearly, despite him being a muggle and being slightly skeptical about magic and the wizarding world. Don't ask how they ended up living close to Cokesworth, but they were living in the wealthy part or something.

Severus was adored by his parents, and he had a completely normal childhood. He was friends with Lily, who was envious of his fabulous lifestyle.

During the first confrontation of Severus with Potter and Black at the Hogwarts Express, he had slammed both boys into the wall once they had disparaged his desire to sort into Slytherin house. Afterwards, this led to the boys having a hatred of him.

Somewhere around fourth or fifth year at Hogwarts, Severus was just chilling and contemplating about some muggle slang words and writing in a diary. Potter and his cronies snuck up on him and snatched his diary while Severus glared at the foolish boys. They had never managed to do anything to him except casting minor jinxes at him and he used to beat them up regularly with the help of his Slytherin friends, but they never seemed to learn.

James began to read the diary and came across the words "Ligma" and "Sugondese" and asked in a confused voice, "What the hell is Ligma?"

(At this moment, strange music began to play in the background, but nobody could tell from where it originated)

Severus smirked and replied "Ligma balls", as the crowd began to laugh at Potter and his cronies.

James was gobsmacked and Sirius was practically frothing at his mouth. Remus was feeling embarassed and Peter was looking at the crowd and feeling like the rat he was.

Severus was rather unbothered by this event, and he whispered "Sugondese", which made James even more confused while Sirius thought that he had casted some dark spell at them.

"Sugon what?" James couldn't help but ask.

Severus had a manic grin and yelled "Sugondese nuts!" and punched Potter right on the face. Potter crumpled on the ground while screaming in pain as the crowd jeered and laughed. Some had even pissed themselves out of hilarity of it all.

Sirius felt outraged and screamed "You'll pay for this, Snape" before lunging towards Severus, but Severus' Slytherin friends had arrived not long before. Mulciber was looking at the situation and he felt somewhat confused, not to mention his underpants had been jinxed earlier with an itching charm by some cheeky Gryffindor.

"My balls itch!", Mulciber said after trying to scratch his groin but tackled Sirius before he could attack Severus. During all this nonsense, some students had gone to fetch the teachers about this confrontation. The headmaster had arrived not long after this and called out to everyone.

"I am rather disappointed by what's happening here. Is this how all of you behave?"

This had brought the much-needed peace and quietness while the students were busy looking at each other. However, someone amongst the crowd was snickering and this turned out to be none other than Severus himself.

Severus had wordlessly casted 'Levicorpus' on Dumbledore who felt himself being lifted by his ankles, and his robes came all the way over his face. Dumbledore felt rather ashamed of the moment because he wasn't wearing anything underneath. Over the years due to his age, Dumbledore used to go commando underneath his robes because it made the trips to lavatory much easier. He was regretting not wearing any undergarments.

The crowd that was silent due to Dumbledore now began to laugh even with more intensity, as the shriveled dong of his was on full display to everyone gathered. Someone spotted Professor McGonagall coming over and warned everyone about it, resulting in everyone skedaddling out of there.

Minerva had arrived soon, and she screamed "What the hell are you doing, Albus. Have you no shame?" while Albus was fumbling over his robes trying to summon his wand, wandlessly, which he had left it in his office.

All this silliness aside, I can't seem to understand the whole Alpha/Omega/Beta/Gamma stuff. Perhaps I am too old or just plain stupid. 

Naaga has reacted to this post.
Naaga
Page 1 of 2Next