Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Animagus - Is it possible to have a magical animal as form?

Hi 🙂

I'm right now putting down my ideas for a Snily fic and came to the point where I'm thinking about Animagi.
While I was thinking about it I noticed that we only ever did read or hear about normal animals as Animagus form.
Have you ever read something about a magical creature being the Animagus form?
Would you believe it to be possible?

Looking forward to your opinions!

P.S.: I hope that I'm in the correct subforum with my question, if not I will happily move it to the correct one.

The Gestalt Prince, Krystal and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
The Gestalt PrinceKrystalNaagaWinter's ShadeDark Angel

Canon does not feature or mention any animagi that have taken the form of a magical creature but we know that a patronus and the animagus form of a person are influenced by their personality and in some cases both take on the same form.

Now, since there are people with a magical creature as their patronus, it should hypothetically be possible for a person to take on a magical creature as their animagus form as well but they're probably extremely rare.

As you're needing this for a fanfic, just make use of the artistic liberty you have as an author 😁

The Gestalt Prince, Krystal and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
The Gestalt PrinceKrystalNaagaWinter's ShadeBol_Stark

I agree with @darkangel. There is no canon limitation on animagus and patronus animals. Dumbledore had phoenix patronus and Pottermore patronus quiz also has magic animals in the quiz. Therefore, you are free to use a magic creature as an animagus because canon doesn't deny this fact.

The Gestalt Prince, Krystal and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
The Gestalt PrinceKrystalDark AngelBol_Stark

Thank you @darkangel and @naaga for your opinion in this topic.

My assumption that it might be possible also came from the knowledge that the patronus is influenced by the personality of the caster and that the personality also is important for the animagus form.

I think I will go with my idea of the magical creature as animagus form and make it something that very rarely or even never before happened in the magical world. Lucky me that Dumbledore is still alive to somehow come up with an explanation as to why that is possible and why the patronus and animagus form are different. 😀

The Gestalt Prince, Krystal and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
The Gestalt PrinceKrystalNaagaDark Angel