Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Behind the Scenes: The Gestaltation of Severus Snape

PreviousPage 2 of 2

You're not alone; that's been the general consensus based on a number of reviews on FFN and AO3, along with Mary's Best Girl status

Krystal and Naaga have reacted to this post.
KrystalNaaga
Quote from The Gestalt Prince on May 10, 2023, 11:59 pm

You're not alone; that's been the general consensus based on a number of reviews on FFN and AO3, along with Mary's Best Girl status

Sometimes I think you aged down Mary for skipping the whole Snape/Mary shipping business 😹.

The Gestalt Prince, Krystal and The Emerald Doe have reacted to this post.
The Gestalt PrinceKrystalThe Emerald Doe

That was one reason, although that hasn't stopped some reviewers from wanting that. The other reason was that I wanted Mary to be young enough to be somewhat uncorrupted by the biases at Hogwarts, but old enough to have some agency in her life. So sort of like a Lily who wasn't too taken in by the Gryffindors.

KrystalNaaga

So sort of like a Lily who wasn't too taken in by the Gryffindors.

We can't blame Lily's issues on Gryffindor though. My issues with her came from her general behaviour towards Snape and her hypocrisies. Even Mary who is younger sees Snape more clearly than Lily ever did.

The Gestalt Prince, Krystal and Motanul Negru have reacted to this post.
The Gestalt PrinceKrystalMotanul Negru

It's not exactly a 1:1 situation, as Lily and Mary are their own characters. Lily, for the most part, doesn't understand what Severus has to deal with aside from what she herself is present for. Mary's written to be more emotionally perceptive overall, and she's more easily able to empathize with someone else who's been targeted for bullying.

KrystalNaaga

@thegestaltprince which characters are your favourite in your fics and which characters you struggle to write?

The Gestalt Prince and Naaga have reacted to this post.
The Gestalt PrinceNaaga

I think overall, my favorite characters, aside from Severus and Lily, would have to be Mary and Regulus (at least when it comes to writing their POVs). Mary's just a bundle of wholesome, and I really like Regulus's storyline and the way it will eventually go.

While I don't really struggle to write any of them, there are certain POVs or chapters that are hard. Act II, Chapter 4: The Longest Week was, and remains, the most painful chapter I have ever written, simply due to size and content. At the same time, I'm proud that I wrote it, if only to convey the same frustration with the audience regarding how long we have to wait until the "week" is done with.

Krystal, Naaga and Motanul Negru have reacted to this post.
KrystalNaagaMotanul Negru

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-sYe-kiljk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2p7r9jN2ck

This is where I imagine Cokeworth to be located and its general aesthetic.

Naaga and BitterBrit have reacted to this post.
NaagaBitterBrit
PreviousPage 2 of 2