Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Severus on Vacation

PreviousPage 2 of 2

I'd have to assume that any wizard born within USSR lands during its lifetime would be influenced by its politics, and so the wizarding schools located within the USSR might reflect this by repeating the same steps taken by Lenin and Stalin (this might result in a deeper schism between blood statuses, with Muggle-borns wanting to do away with the old pureblood families)

Naaga, Dust Collector and Waldemar have reacted to this post.
NaagaDust CollectorWaldemar
Quote from Dust Collector on September 22, 2024, 11:52 pm
Quote from Waldemar on September 22, 2024, 11:18 pm

I definitely can imagine him being a nature guy atop of the intellectually stimulating kind of vacation/activity. North Sea also is a bet there or maybe just generally this kind of “niche”, not typically huge touristically countries (like say, Lithuania or Iceland) but still having plenty of interesting things for a keen eye and relaxing for the lack of crowded or too “packed up” space.

Funnily enough, I’ve been lately wondering how’d he feel like in countries where the culture doesn’t insist (or even discourages) smalltalk, intrusiveness towards strangers and generally introverted population is much higher considering his rather reserved/introverted nature. Part of it was also why my mind initially went to Lithuania (which has the world’s and Europe’s highest count of introverts, along with respectfully Faroe Islands and Poland). As brought up before, I can definitely imagine him enjoying the secluded warmer places too, like Caribbean islands.

I think the same goes for the Baltic Sea.

Last year I've visited Gdańsk, and though I didn't get to see the waterfront (I've spent too much time in the Solidarność museum and the Beksiński exhibition), I still got to see a lot of the city, and I really liked its vibe.

(I myself live pretty close to the borders of województwo dolnośląskie.)

Ah, I wouldn’t assume you were Polish before but it makes sense now too. I have never seen Beksiński’s works despite being fond of them, albeit I think still a museum is a very good pick. Beaches are usually crowded, especially if you visited in the summer, so you’d probably have a tussle with all the windbreaks lol.

I’m not from Lower Silesia myself (Greater Polish voivoideship more so) but I adore that region and also would bet it under “Snape-ish” places as well as ones I’d dwell in gladly myself. It’s a very castle-heavy area and I set myself a goal to see all the Lower Silesian (and maybe eventually all Polish) castles.

Quote from The Gestalt Prince on September 23, 2024, 12:29 am

I think time period might also be important; is this right out of graduation, or is it any point between 1978 and 1998? Because some countries would be harder to travel to depending on if their politics overlapped with the local wizarding government

As for that, I think it’s a very fascinating topic to ponder upon. Along with the big question of how the Wizarding world and maybe even Ministry of Magic dealt with the heavy political disputes influencing everything. It’s hard to pinpoint just one possible option too, considering that magic of its own along with the ongoing blood purity/supremacism problem could be thrown under the bus by the same “bourgeois” category to be suppressed, but at the same time it could either be taken as something to take to their own advantage or for wizards themselves to be even more undercover than usually. There’s many possibilities and hard to answer also, and I’ve lately even seen some voices on what people speculated about wizards doing along the both world wars (to which many replied with them doing nothing not to get themselves pulled into muggle conflicts).

The Gestalt Prince and Naaga have reacted to this post.
The Gestalt PrinceNaaga
Quote from The Gestalt Prince on September 23, 2024, 12:43 am

I'd have to assume that any wizard born within USSR lands during its lifetime would be influenced by its politics, and so the wizarding schools located within the USSR might reflect this by repeating the same steps taken by Lenin and Stalin (this might result in a deeper schism between blood statuses, with Muggle-borns wanting to do away with the old pureblood families)

This would depend on whether the wizarding society of that particular region could isolate itself from the Soviet. In here, the StB (Czechoslovakian Secret Service) had their fingers (=informers) in just about everything including the Catholic community, and from what I know, it was even worse in East Germany. On the other hand, they were neither omnipresent nor all-knowing.

Also, the Kremlin did not have a lot of friends here, for much of our produce was shipped to Russia with hardly any compensation (e.g. the Uranium mined by political prisoners). Also, there was that thing with the regime torturing folks to death, shooting students, violating women, etc. (The 50s were especially bad.)

The Gestalt Prince and Waldemar have reacted to this post.
The Gestalt PrinceWaldemar
Quote from Waldemar on September 24, 2024, 10:59 pm

I definitely can imagine him being a nature guy atop of the intellectually stimulating kind of vacation/activity. North Sea also is a bet there or maybe just generally this kind of “niche”, not typically huge touristically countries (like say, Lithuania or Iceland) but still having plenty of interesting things for a keen eye and relaxing for the lack of crowded or too “packed up” space.

Funnily enough, I’ve been lately wondering how’d he feel like in countries where the culture doesn’t insist (or even discourages) smalltalk, intrusiveness towards strangers and generally introverted population is much higher considering his rather reserved/introverted nature. Part of it was also why my mind initially went to Lithuania (which has the world’s and Europe’s highest count of introverts, along with respectfully Faroe Islands and Poland). As brought up before, I can definitely imagine him enjoying the secluded warmer places too, like Caribbean islands.

Last year I've visited Gdańsk, and though I didn't get to see the waterfront (I've spent too much time in the Solidarność museum and the Beksiński exhibition), I still got to see a lot of the city, and I really liked its vibe.

Ah, I wouldn’t assume you were Polish before but it makes sense now too. I have never seen Beksiński’s works despite being fond of them, albeit I think still a museum is a very good pick. Beaches are usually crowded, especially if you visited in the summer, so you’d probably have a tussle with all the windbreaks lol.

I’m not from Lower Silesia myself (Greater Polish voivoideship more so) but I adore that region and also would bet it under “Snape-ish” places as well as ones I’d dwell in gladly myself. It’s a very castle-heavy area and I set myself a goal to see all the Lower Silesian (and maybe eventually all Polish) castles.

I'm not Polish, I'm your southern neighbour (🙌🇨🇿🙌). But I do live fairly close to the border.

When I visited Gdańsk, I was absolutely fascinated by the huge shipyard cranes. I wanted to see them so bad! (Unfortunately, I was there for just a few days and the weather was not very good.)

As for Polish castles, the last one I visited was Czocha, which is apparently a place much-loved by wizarding LARPers.

I can see why. <3

The Gestalt Prince, Naaga and Waldemar have reacted to this post.
The Gestalt PrinceNaagaWaldemar
Quote from Dust Collector on September 25, 2024, 9:58 pm
Quote from Waldemar on September 24, 2024, 10:59 pm

I'm not Polish, I'm your southern neighbour (🙌🇨🇿🙌). But I do live fairly close to the border.

When I visited Gdańsk, I was absolutely fascinated by the huge shipyard cranes. I wanted to see them so bad! (Unfortunately, I was there for just a few days and the weather was not very good.)

As for Polish castles, the last one I visited was Czocha, which is apparently a place much-loved by wizarding LARPers.

I can see why. <3

That explains a lot, too. You guys have a lot in common with Lower Silesia historically and it kind of mingles together. I have actually been to Prague once too, as for Czechia. Got to see the Prague Castle also (I believe on Hradcany) and I must say I really adore Czech architecture both of this “bigger” kind as well as the tiny farmhouses in mountain areas. I think it’s pretty underrated to use this kind of interesting, decorative wooden support now. Never been to Gdańsk although I think I’m generally unbothered by the cold windy tendency of the Baltic if that’s what you mean lol. I’ve actually been to Czocha though — I didn’t hear that much about LARP going on here itself, but got to see the place. They have a really good restaurant and interesting wall paintings, as well as for some reason, the everlasting tendency I noticed in most Polish castles which is taxidermy mounts of Topi antelopes… They’re about in every castle I’ve been to, the most unusual mount I think I’ve seen was an elephant at Oleśnica.

The Gestalt Prince has reacted to this post.
The Gestalt Prince
PreviousPage 2 of 2