Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Always: The Severus/Lily Thread

PreviousPage 5 of 9Next
Quote from Heatherlly on March 16, 2023, 12:10 pm

“Why are you so obsessed with them anyway? Why do you care what they’re doing at night?”

“I’m just trying to show you they’re not as wonderful as everyone seems to think they are.”

The intensity of his gaze made her blush.

To me, this suggests that Lily knows or at least senses something deeper. Not only that, but her reaction is quite telling. To me, this suggests an attraction or at least the seeds of one on both sides. Blushing indicates vulnerability/self-consciousness, which are key factors in romantic attraction (especially for teenage girls).

I've seen it suggested that Lily was blushing because of James, not Severus. Supposedly, she was afraid Severus had picked up on her crush on James and felt self-conscious about it. But that theory ignores context/Lily's subsequent reactions.

“I didn’t mean — I just don’t want to see you made a fool of — He fancies you, James Potter fancies you!” The words seemed wrenched from him against his will. “And he’s not . . . everyone thinks . . . big Quidditch hero —” Snape’s bitterness and dislike were rendering him incoherent, and Lily’s eyebrows were traveling farther and farther up her forehead.

“I know James Potter’s an arrogant toerag,” she said, cutting across Snape. “I don’t need you to tell me that. But Mulciber’s and Avery’s idea of humor is just evil. Evil, Sev. I don’t understand how you can be friends with them.”

In the first quote, Lily blushes, even though Severus is only talking about James in a more generalized sense. Then in the second quote, Severus bluntly states that James has a crush on Lily, but she doesn't even react to that. Her reaction (raising her eyebrows) is based on Severus's behavior, not anything to do with James.

Blushing at the mere mention of James, only to have zero reaction to the idea of him having a crush on her? That makes no sense. Maybe others read it differently, but what I see in this scene are undercurrents of an attraction between her and Severus, which (sadly) never had a chance to turn into anything more.

Finally (from a web chat in 2007):

Jaclyn: Did lily ever have feelings back for snape

J.K. Rowling: Yes. She might even have grown to love him romantically (she certainly loved him as a friend) if he had not loved Dark Magic so much, and been drawn to such loathesome people and acts.

You could interpret this as Lily only loving Severus as a friend, but that "yes" is very telling. "Have feelings for" is a distinctly romantic term, not one I've ever heard pertaining to friends or other platonic relationships. This entire quote (and canon itself) suggests that there was an attraction at some point, one that had the potential to become much more if things had gone differently.

With Severus’ luck, saying that James fancies her may have been the very reason Lily became aware of James in a romantic sense.

Heatherlly, The Gestalt Prince and 7 other users have reacted to this post.
HeatherllyThe Gestalt PrinceKrystalNaagaWinter's ShadeTimeLadyJamieDark AngelBitterBritSalvyus

Wow. That would make it just another level of tragic.

Heatherlly, The Gestalt Prince and 7 other users have reacted to this post.
HeatherllyThe Gestalt PrinceKrystalNaagaTimeLadyJamieDark AngelJaySMSalvyusZombiePotter04

I just want my boy to be happy, and preferably away from a certain redhead.

Krystal, Naaga and JaySM have reacted to this post.
KrystalNaagaJaySM
Quote from JaySM on September 27, 2023, 12:14 pm

“Why are you so obsessed with them anyway? Why do you care what they’re doing at night?”

“I’m just trying to show you they’re not as wonderful as everyone seems to think they are.”

To me, this suggests that Lily knows or at least senses something deeper. Not only that, but her reaction is quite telling. To me, this suggests an attraction or at least the seeds of one on both sides. Blushing indicates vulnerability/self-consciousness, which are key factors in romantic attraction (especially for teenage girls).

I've seen it suggested that Lily was blushing because of James, not Severus. Supposedly, she was afraid Severus had picked up on her crush on James and felt self-conscious about it. But that theory ignores context/Lily's subsequent reactions.

“I didn’t mean — I just don’t want to see you made a fool of — He fancies you, James Potter fancies you!” The words seemed wrenched from him against his will. “And he’s not . . . everyone thinks . . . big Quidditch hero —” Snape’s bitterness and dislike were rendering him incoherent, and Lily’s eyebrows were traveling farther and farther up her forehead.

“I know James Potter’s an arrogant toerag,” she said, cutting across Snape. “I don’t need you to tell me that. But Mulciber’s and Avery’s idea of humor is just evil. Evil, Sev. I don’t understand how you can be friends with them.”

In the first quote, Lily blushes, even though Severus is only talking about James in a more generalized sense. Then in the second quote, Severus bluntly states that James has a crush on Lily, but she doesn't even react to that. Her reaction (raising her eyebrows) is based on Severus's behavior, not anything to do with James.

Blushing at the mere mention of James, only to have zero reaction to the idea of him having a crush on her? That makes no sense. Maybe others read it differently, but what I see in this scene are undercurrents of an attraction between her and Severus, which (sadly) never had a chance to turn into anything more.

J.K. Rowling: Yes. She might even have grown to love him romantically (she certainly loved him as a friend) if he had not loved Dark Magic so much, and been drawn to such loathesome people and acts.

You could interpret this as Lily only loving Severus as a friend, but that "yes" is very telling. "Have feelings for" is a distinctly romantic term, not one I've ever heard pertaining to friends or other platonic relationships. This entire quote (and canon itself) suggests that there was an attraction at some point, one that had the potential to become much more if things had gone differently.

With Severus’ luck, saying that James fancies her may have been the very reason Lily became aware of James in a romantic sense.

I would've agreed with you, but considering Potter freaking asked Lily for a date while harassing Snape, I believe it was a common knowledge that Potter fancied Evans and had asked more than once to date her, even before Snape admitted him fancying her to Evans.

The Gestalt Prince, Krystal and 8 other users have reacted to this post.
The Gestalt PrinceKrystalYampamWinter's ShadeTimeLadyJamieDark AngelBitterBritJaySMSalvyusSam
Quote from Naaga on September 28, 2023, 10:17 am

I would've agreed with you, but considering Potter freaking asked Lily for a date while harassing Snape, I believe it was a common knowledge that Potter fancied Evans and had asked more than once to date her, even before Snape admitted him fancying her to Evans.

If it was commonly known and James were that blatant about it, Severus wouldn’t have felt the need to bring it up.

The Gestalt Prince, Krystal and 6 other users have reacted to this post.
The Gestalt PrinceKrystalNaagaWinter's ShadeTimeLadyJamieDark AngelSalvyusSam
Quote from JaySM on September 28, 2023, 10:42 am

If it was commonly known and James were that blatant about it, Severus wouldn’t have felt the need to bring it up.

He was trying to warn her about marauders particularly James Potter in that conversation. He looked almost pained saying that fact in front of Lily and from Lily's lack of reaction, she knew it so it was common knowledge.

The Gestalt PrinceKrystalWinter's ShadeDark AngelBitterBritJaySMSalvyusSam
Quote from Naaga on September 28, 2023, 10:51 am
Quote from JaySM on September 28, 2023, 10:42 am

He was trying to warn her about marauders particularly James Potter in that conversation. He looked almost pained saying that fact in front of Lily and from Lily's lack of reaction, she knew it so it was common knowledge.

I supposed that based on perspective. If you already see the character in a negative light then I can see how you may come to that conclusion that she already knew and it may just add fuel to the fire how “horrible” she may be in future scenes.

If you look at it neutrally though, it wouldn’t be so farfetched to see that, at the time, she didn’t care whether James was interested in her or not, that wasn’t what was important in their conversation. She raised her brows when Severus said James liked her and that in itself is a reaction, almost as if she saw it as an overreaction and addressed it by saying that even if James did like her, he’s despicable and arrogant and wouldn’t date him. She follows through with Mulciber and Avery, the main bases of her concern.

She’s a teen girl. I can absolutely see her after this heading back to her friends and bringing it up like a joke of the possibility of James liking her and them confirming it. She starts to look at James in a new light and probably has some delusions that she can probably change him into a better person and uses James’ attraction to her as a way to do that. James pretends to become what she wants to see but goes behind her back to continue doing what he’s always done, albeit in a lesser degree so she doesn’t catch on. That speaks more on Lily than James.

Just like we analysed how Slytherin’s hide their most mischievous acts behind Professor Snape and do things behind his back as an implication to how good Severus is as a teacher. Why can’t we do the same with Lily? The Marauders are basically doing the same things the Slytherin students have done to Severus.

Heatherlly, The Gestalt Prince and 4 other users have reacted to this post.
HeatherllyThe Gestalt PrinceKrystalTimeLadyJamieDark AngelSalvyus
Quote from Sam on September 28, 2023, 9:59 am

I just want my boy to be happy, and preferably away from a certain redhead.

That's totally fine, though this thread is for those of us who love the ship (hence the title). You are of course welcome to start your own thread if you prefer a different ship. 🙂

The Gestalt PrinceKrystalNaagaTimeLadyJamieDark AngelJaySMSalvyusSam

I know lol. I don't mind it to be honest. Also, trying to get the stars in my profile by participating in every thread 😛

Heatherlly, Krystal and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
HeatherllyKrystalNaagaDark AngelJaySM
Quote from Sam on September 28, 2023, 12:24 pm

I know lol. I don't mind it to be honest. Also, trying to get the stars in my profile by participating in every thread 😛

I was a trophy hunter when I first started too. 😅

Heatherlly, The Gestalt Prince and 4 other users have reacted to this post.
HeatherllyThe Gestalt PrinceKrystalNaagaDark AngelSam
PreviousPage 5 of 9Next