Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Heatherlly's Writing Progress Thread

PreviousPage 2 of 3Next

The Hospital Wing moved from the first (in the first books) to the third (in OotP) floor in canon, so you can just claim that some rooms move places

Heatherlly, The Gestalt Prince and 4 other users have reacted to this post.
HeatherllyThe Gestalt PrinceKrystalNaagaDark AngelJaySM

The Room of Requirement goes where it is required /headcanon

Heatherlly, Krystal and 4 other users have reacted to this post.
HeatherllyKrystalNaagaDark AngelJaySMSalvyus
Quote from Heatherlly on November 6, 2023, 9:47 am

Actually, you know what? Screw it. It's my fanfiction, and if no one's made an issue out of it in the last decade, it can't be that big of a deal.

If it does ever come up, I'll just say it's a creative choice. I come up with plenty of details about the castle that were never mentioned in canon… no reason I can't move things around a bit, too. 😉

Yeah, this was pretty much my reaction when I read your original post.

Although to be completely honest, I am that kind of person who is horrified when things like this happen. Even when I've edited and edited something, and I see a comma missing or a silly mistake... *screams at the sky*

Heatherlly, The Gestalt Prince and 4 other users have reacted to this post.
HeatherllyThe Gestalt PrinceKrystalNaagaDark AngelSalvyus

My next chapter should be finished and posted tomorrow. First update in seven months!

I have an issue with my epic length stories, which is that chapters tend to grow longer and longer the deeper I get into the story. Granted, I've never gone over 10,000 words, but even 7000-8000 words is significantly longer than my ideal. I prefer my chapters to be around 2500-4000 words (4500 max). Not only is this easier for readers to digest in one sitting, but it's way, way easier to update more frequently that way.

I'm not planning to change the chapter structure for Veritas. The story is already plotted out, and I only have four chapters left after this one. For future stories though, I definitely want to scale back on the chapter length.

Another benefit to this is the feedback. Shorter chapters with fewer scenes make it easier for readers to focus on specific things and address them at length. That's the type of feedback I love, so yeah... I don't want to miss out on it by giving readers too many other things to comment on.

Having said that, I'm really proud of this next chapter. It took months of struggle and multiple rewritten scenes, but I really do think it was worth it. 💚

The Gestalt Prince, Krystal and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
The Gestalt PrinceKrystalNaagaDark AngelSalvyus

It's not your niche, but do you happen to have ever taken a look at murkybluematter's The Rigel Black Chronicles? I love the fic but the chapters have book length and I would always get lost. Because they were so long, I wouldn't read them in one sitting and by the time I got to comment, I forgot half of what I wanted to say 😭

Heatherlly, The Gestalt Prince and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
HeatherllyThe Gestalt PrinceKrystalNaagaSalvyus

I just checked, and Jesus!A lot of her chapters are around 20,000 words. D:

That just underscores my point. A lot of people can't read that much in one sitting, and finding your place again is a pain in the ass. There's too much to remember, too many things to comment on, and yeah… it defeats the purpose of having a chapter system.

sweats nervously in Gestaltation Act II, Chapter 4

Heatherlly, Krystal and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
HeatherllyKrystalNaagaDark AngelSalvyus

Oh shit, I forgot about that! 😂😂😂

In all fairness, you're self aware enough to acknowledge the excessive length. You also don't do that with every chapter, unlike the author @darkangel mentioned.

... okay, there might be some chapters that are roughly 20k

Heatherlly, Krystal and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
HeatherllyKrystalNaagaDark AngelSalvyus
Quote from The Gestalt Prince on November 8, 2023, 3:32 pm

sweats nervously in Gestaltation Act II, Chapter 4

Oh yeah! That one gave me a deja-vu feeling. Reminded me of the good old Rigel Black days but as Heatherlly already pointed out, with you that was an exception  with murkybluematter it's the norm 😅

Heatherlly, The Gestalt Prince and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
HeatherllyThe Gestalt PrinceKrystalNaagaSalvyus
PreviousPage 2 of 3Next