Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Rereading/Rewatching the Harry Potter Series

PreviousPage 13 of 14Next

I was rereading the synopsis of The Cursed Child because I remembered something that makes the plot of Act 3 impossible.

Due to time travel influence, Cedric becomes a Death Eater (let's pretend that this is something he would do, it's not the impossible thing I'm thinking about) and kills Neville during the Battle of Hogwarts, preventing Neville from killing Nagini and allowing Voldemort to win, resulting in Harry's death (again, not impossible).

However, this sequence of events results in Severus being alive; THIS is the impossible part. Severus was killed before Neville killed Nagini and before Voldemort "killed" Harry; in fact, killing Severus was part of Voldemort's process of killing Harry. The point is that Neville's death has nothing to do with Severus's death at all, and yet the plot of Act 3 thinks there's a chain of cause-and-effect that allows for this.

Heatherlly, Naaga and Salvyus have reacted to this post.
HeatherllyNaagaSalvyus

You're talking about it as if anything about this book/play makes sense... 😆

Heatherlly, The Gestalt Prince and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
HeatherllyThe Gestalt PrinceNaagaBitterBritSalvyus

Yes but I think we are talking about the broader spectrum. It is not just nevelli death considering if Cedric became a death eater then every plot that harry found himself in would change.

Nothing would have remained the same everywhere and it's really not surprising that Cedric would become a death eater in that scenario. The humiliation that Cedric suffered was terrible I won't say it was less than Snape. Hogwarts students as a mob are terrible really. If I remember there was a Cedric doggy statue when Snape, Ron and Hermione went in the past with Scorpious.

This also highlights Rowling philosophy about there not being absolutely good or bad people.

The play script did had potential and it certainly could have been better if it had focused on more on Snape and dumbledore connection with Harry, albus severus or even each other.

It would be interesting if Albus Severus potter tried to find more about his name sakers and on the other side harry ponders upon Snape and dumbledore choices.

The play script wasn't really that horrible. It Certainly could have been better.

Naaga has reacted to this post.
Naaga

Alright, I just thought of another aspect of Cursed Child that does irreparable damage to Hermione's character.

Due to a time travel thing, Ron ends up not getting with Hermione, and instead gets with Padma. As a result of this, Hermione ends up as the mean Defense Against the Dark Arts professor at Hogwarts, almost mirroring Snape, while Ron ends up becoming solemn. Ron's change isn't the problem; Hermione's is.

She parallels Snape as a character, but the motivations of both characters are very different and reveal a lot about who they are as people.

• Snape became the way he was due to abuse and neglect from his parents, bullying from his peers, grooming at the hands of blood purity cultists, personal failings regarding his friendship with Lily, watching Lily fall in love with and marry his bully, relaying information to his cult leader that ultimately gets Lily killed, and dedicating the remainder of his life to protecting the son of Lily and James Potter, and he continues to do so once his master (Dumbledore) is dead and leaves him a free agent (Dumbledore's portrait can't control Snape).
  • Hermione became Snape-like because Ron chose Padma.

Typically, people who dislike Snape accuse Snape of being the way he is because of his obsession with Lily, often calling him an incel without looking into the other reasons as to how Snape ended up the way he is.

In Hermione's case, it was for reasons that exactly align with the stereotypical criticism of "Snape's obsession", which means that (by the logic of Snape dislikers) Hermione is an incel.

Naaga and BitterBrit have reacted to this post.
NaagaBitterBrit
Quote from The Gestalt Prince on June 1, 2024, 11:18 pm

Alright, I just thought of another aspect of Cursed Child that does irreparable damage to Hermione's character.

Due to a time travel thing, Ron ends up not getting with Hermione, and instead gets with Padma. As a result of this, Hermione ends up as the mean Defense Against the Dark Arts professor at Hogwarts, almost mirroring Snape, while Ron ends up becoming solemn. Ron's change isn't the problem; Hermione's is.

She parallels Snape as a character, but the motivations of both characters are very different and reveal a lot about who they are as people.

• Snape became the way he was due to abuse and neglect from his parents, bullying from his peers, grooming at the hands of blood purity cultists, personal failings regarding his friendship with Lily, watching Lily fall in love with and marry his bully, relaying information to his cult leader that ultimately gets Lily killed, and dedicating the remainder of his life to protecting the son of Lily and James Potter, and he continues to do so once his master (Dumbledore) is dead and leaves him a free agent (Dumbledore's portrait can't control Snape).
  • Hermione became Snape-like because Ron chose Padma.

Typically, people who dislike Snape accuse Snape of being the way he is because of his obsession with Lily, often calling him an incel without looking into the other reasons as to how Snape ended up the way he is.

In Hermione's case, it was for reasons that exactly align with the stereotypical criticism of "Snape's obsession", which means that (by the logic of Snape dislikers) Hermione is an incel.

Yeah, it's damaging to Snape's character also, with haters calling parallels to Ron Hermione situation with Snape. They use it as proof that Snape became who he is due to not getting Lily, rather than his life circumstances.

The Gestalt Prince and BitterBrit have reacted to this post.
The Gestalt PrinceBitterBrit
Quote from The Gestalt Prince on January 5, 2023, 11:41 pm
Quote from Heatherlly on January 5, 2023, 11:28 pm

The Boggart scene… after rereading, it's even more obvious to me now that Lupin deliberately targeted Snape. I get that Snape was Neville's Boggart  (e.g. necessary to turn him into something amusing), but it was 100% Lupin's idea to dress him up as Neville's grandmother. The way he immediately comes up with that feels very calculated to me. Like, it had more to do with humiliating Snape than helping Neville conquer his fear.

To be fair, I am biased. Lupin has always struck me as passive aggressive, so that fits my version of his character. If you have a different take (or a similar one) I'd love to hear it. But yeah, that scene bothers me.

I was gonna say that the entire concept of exposing a child's greatest fear in front of a crowd of their peers is fucked up. Like imagine if someone comes from a broken household, and their Boggart takes the form of said abuse. Or imagine if someone was terrified of being naked in front of a crowd. You get the idea; this is a horrible idea for a lesson. This would honestly be better-suited for in-school counselling (but it's Hogwarts, so that's not likely).

I was reading this thread and since we are allowed to post on older threads/comments, I wanted to pitch in when I read this.

I 100% agree with this and the fact that this type of magical being/stuff/whatever is being taught about in a public class setting has long unnerved me. I think that began when I read a fanfic (sadly cannot remember the name) where Sev and Lily were first-years. Gryffindor and Slytherin first-years had the Boggart class together (and Sev was already being bullied at this point). The entire time the class is going on, Sev is terrified about it being his turn to face the Boggart. Why? Because in this fic Severus' father was physically and emotionally abusive to him and thus his father was his greatest fear. He, of course, didn't want the whole class to see this and he was also afraid that he would freeze up/lose it when facing his father/the Boggart. He knew it was "fake" but my boy had trauma. It eventually ends up being his turn and indeed, his father appears drunk, screaming at him and with a belt in his hand. Don't really remember the class' reaction, but if I remember correctly, Sev (cuz he was 11) froze first, but then bolted out of the classroom in both fear and shame.

So yeah, ever since reading that fic, my perception of those public Boggart teachings/trainings has been completely different (first I didn't really think about it in the general sense like @heatherlly did). Also Sev (sadly) isn't the only child ever to be abused and be afraid of his abuser, so I find it hard to believe he would be the only one having this type of fear.

Also, in the (second?) Fantastic Beasts film, (if it's the second one that would be the Crimes of Grindlewald), there is a woman with a traumatic backstory that involved her accidentally killing her baby brother and we get a flashback where she is in the Boggart class and to her horror, her Boggart is heavily implied to be her baby brother sinking to the ocean floor (he drowned). I know there are possibly several issues with this (like with all the Fantastic Beasts films, tbh), one being that the baby drowning is a traumatic memory of hers, not necessarily a fear (unless she is afraid of ever accidentally drowning a baby again??). I thought the Boggart didn't include your traumatic memories in targeting you, just your fears. What could also maybe be the case however, is that the 11/12/13-year-old version of her didn't really understand how Boggarts worked, and thus her greatest fear, at least in that moment, became the Boggart showing her worst memory. And that, in turn, the Boggart displayed it for her. IDK, just my thoughts.

Conclusion, public Boggart lessons are fked up. Not every child in this world has a big spider, a snake, or just the dark as their biggest fear (sadly enough). That is just how it is and according to what was heavily implied in Sev's backstory, JK was aware of this (of the fact that children do go through hardship like abuse, even in the Wizarding World she created).

The Gestalt Prince, Naaga and BitterBrit have reacted to this post.
The Gestalt PrinceNaagaBitterBrit
Quote from ZombiePotter04 on June 5, 2024, 12:17 pm
Quote from The Gestalt Prince on January 5, 2023, 11:41 pm
Quote from Heatherlly on January 5, 2023, 11:28 pm

The Boggart scene… after rereading, it's even more obvious to me now that Lupin deliberately targeted Snape. I get that Snape was Neville's Boggart  (e.g. necessary to turn him into something amusing), but it was 100% Lupin's idea to dress him up as Neville's grandmother. The way he immediately comes up with that feels very calculated to me. Like, it had more to do with humiliating Snape than helping Neville conquer his fear.

To be fair, I am biased. Lupin has always struck me as passive aggressive, so that fits my version of his character. If you have a different take (or a similar one) I'd love to hear it. But yeah, that scene bothers me.

I was gonna say that the entire concept of exposing a child's greatest fear in front of a crowd of their peers is fucked up. Like imagine if someone comes from a broken household, and their Boggart takes the form of said abuse. Or imagine if someone was terrified of being naked in front of a crowd. You get the idea; this is a horrible idea for a lesson. This would honestly be better-suited for in-school counselling (but it's Hogwarts, so that's not likely).

Also, in the (second?) Fantastic Beasts film, (if it's the second one that would be the Crimes of Grindlewald), there is a woman with a traumatic backstory that involved her accidentally killing her baby brother and we get a flashback where she is in the Boggart class and to her horror, her Boggart is heavily implied to be her baby brother sinking to the ocean floor (he drowned). I know there are possibly several issues with this (like with all the Fantastic Beasts films, tbh), one being that the baby drowning is a traumatic memory of hers, not necessarily a fear (unless she is afraid of ever accidentally drowning a baby again??). I thought the Boggart didn't include your traumatic memories in targeting you, just your fears. What could also maybe be the case however, is that the 11/12/13-year-old version of her didn't really understand how Boggarts worked, and thus her greatest fear, at least in that moment, became the Boggart showing her worst memory. And, that in turn, the Boggart displayed it for her. IDK, just my thoughts.

See, I didn't even think about that scene, and it's just to show that the Fantastic Beasts makers don't understand the basic mechanics of how Boggarts work. Something like this would make more sense with a Dementor, or with Legilimency lessons, but no, they chose to make someone afraid of a fixed point in history.

I mean, it'd make sense if she was afraid of people finding out her involvement, but that's never stated.

Naaga and ZombiePotter04 have reacted to this post.
NaagaZombiePotter04
Quote from The Gestalt Prince on January 6, 2023, 2:50 am

On McGonagall: do remember that when she found out that Harry and friends were doing their shenanigans, she punished them by giving them detention with Hagrid in the Forbidden Forest... which is probably not the best place to send children at night. This is also the same lady that allowed a first-year to play Seeker on the Gryffindor Quidditch team.

As for Neville's punishment, yeah, it's absolutely awful, and the only thing that makes him remotely safe is the security trolls outside the entrance. If Snape was the Head of Gryffindor, he would give Neville an in-dorm suspension to not only prevent him from slipping up, but also keep him safe.

I forget about what happened between Hermione and the boys, so I skimmed the chapter for that, and yeah, Harry and Ron are being dicks.

• Hermione's taking more classes than possible via literally bending time and space (which is pretty dangerous and not suitable for use at the hands of a teenager), so she would be less capable of responding to too many things due to how spread-out she is. However, she chose to take those extra courses and put more work on her shoulders, so her inability to manage her pet is by her own doing.
  • However, Harry and Ron, especially Ron, are being dicks about it by alienating her and putting more stress on her. Whether or not they know about the time travel is irrelevant.
    • Also, if Hermione is responsible for not keeping an eye on her cat, then Ron is responsible for not keeping an eye on his rat. We know that Crookshanks is innocent, but for the sake of the scenario, Scabbers's death is also Ron's fault. One of his friends just got a cat, so it would stand to reason that he would take extra precautions to protect Scabbers, if he was smart about it.

Good on Hagrid.

Also, this is why I get really mad whenever Snape gets declared as the "worst" teacher. Sure, he isn't the most pleasant lad out there, but at least he didn't put any of his students in UNNECESSARY danger (ON MULTIPLE OCCASIONS). People praise McGonagall, Hagrid, Dumbledore, etc. and hate on Snape just because they (Dumbledore etc.) are nice to their students. But, there is a thing as being too nice. So nice, in fact, that you praise students for putting themselves in unnecessary danger "for the Greater Good" (i.e. Dumbledore). Or that cruel or stupid things get overlooked, no matter how frequent they are, because the characters are nice to Harry and co. and are on the good side (i.e. McGonagall and Hagrid).

Meanwhile Snape gets hated on by most fans, usually just because he is not that nice of a teacher. And sure, having that type of a teacher would suck (however, Snape didn't enter the position because he wanted to be a teacher (I don't really think he would've been one if it hadn't been necessary)). And sure, he was quite mean to some of his students, which wasn't fair. But, some people also criticize him for favoring his Slytherin students. And, while that is unfair, Dumbledore did the same thing (and probably way more hardcore) with his Gryffindor students (I think McGonagall and Hagrid also took part in this), while being really unfair towards Slytherins. This is why I have less of a problem with Snape sometimes prioritizing his Slytherin students. They get enough crap for being in the "wrong" house from Dumbledore (who is the HEADMASTER, MIND YOU) and basically the whole school. Like everyone hates Slytherins because they had one bad egg (Voldemort) and because Dumbledore dislikes them (meanwhile "forgetting" that Death Eaters are from almost all houses, including Gryffindor).

I personally also think Snape suffered greatly under Dumbledore's Slytherin bias as a student, considering James got celebrated as a hero after putting Sev's life in danger, while he got threatened with expulsion should he tell anyone, because the life of a Gryffindor (Remus) was apparently way more important than that of a Slytherin (Severus) (seriously who appointed this man as a Headmaster????).

Also, Snape has a lot of knowledge in various magical subjects. I think that many students who attended his classes ended up learning a lot from him (didn't Harry learn (albeit indirectly) his infamous Expelliarmus from Snape?). Had I been a really academically-focused student at Hogwarts, I think I would've preferred Snape as a teacher (he could also keep a class quiet, and believe me that it is annoying when you are in the mood to learn something and want to pay attention in class while other students are causing a ruckus).

Basically, Snape could be a mean sonofaB when the mood struck him, but he never put any of his students in danger. Meanwhile, basically all the other teachers, especially those favored by the fans, are nice on the outside, but regularly put their students in danger. And, I sometimes get real angry that this is overlooked by almost every HP fan. If I was a student at Hogwarts and was aware of Snape's intention of keeping us safe as students like a good teacher would (tbf Snape was so villainized by everyone Harry looked up to that Harry's view of him was very skewed from the beginning and thus he couldn't really have known/realised this, HOWEVER what about Snape constantly rescuing your ass? Didn't he send the Order to save you after you went after Sirius? And you still thought he was untrustworthy/the villain, cmon Harry), then I would probably feel the safest in his classes or just when he was around. I certainly wouldn't trust Hagrid or maybe even McGonagall with my safety. Sure, I would probably find them to be nice teachers, but I would keep my guard up around them. With Snape I would know that I wouldn't have to.

Snape was a good teacher peeps. A not-so-nice one perhaps. But, he was an actual teacher. Someone who taught his students something and taught them to prepare them for IRL situations (i.e. about werewolves when Lupin came to school. This could be seen as unfair to Lupin, but at least most students would be prepared for a werewolf-related situation, in case Lupin made a mistake WHICH HE DID. This would be thanks to Snape preparing them and if I was a student at Hogwarts and the news about Lupin being a werewolf came out, I would silently thank Snape for the rest of my days for at least preparing me for a werewolf encounter somewhat, had the need arisen). Also, he kept his students SAFE.

The Gestalt Prince, Naaga and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
The Gestalt PrinceNaagaYampamBitterBritDust Collector
Quote from The Gestalt Prince on January 6, 2023, 2:24 pm
  • I agree with your point on the Marauders; the story wouldn't be interesting without them.
  • I feel like Harry and friends could have accomplished everything that happened without using the Time-Turner.
  • Prior to reevaluating my preferences, I would say the reveal scene was my favorite part of the movies, so much so that I would rewatch the entire series for the sole purpose of seeing that scene unfold.
  • As for Snape, yeah, the other characters did him dirty, and it's just one of those times where I can't help but think that everyone's screwing him over. When Snape reminds Dumbledore about what Sirius tried to do, and Dumbledore replies that his memory is as good as ever, that really fucked with me. This is the first time that it's confirmed that Dumbledore knew about what happened and covered it up, to the benefit of the Marauders and detriment of Snape.

My memory is really foggy on this one and maybe that is because of heavy bias. However, I would like to know why you and @heatherlly find the inclusion of the Marauders so important? Like, some examples. Because I cannot for the life of me remember.😂💀 I just loathe them so much and would like to know why you two claim the story wouldn't be interesting without them/love them. I get that for the 1970s era of Harry Potter (in fics I love them as antagonists), but what made their inclusion in the story of Harry so "fun"? Curious to know! <3

The Gestalt Prince and Naaga have reacted to this post.
The Gestalt PrinceNaaga
Quote from Heatherlly on January 7, 2023, 1:35 am

I never picked up on the similarities between Viktor and Snape, but wow. You're so right!

Also, it lends further credence to Severus/Hermione as a ship. If she was attracted to Krum, it's not much of a stretch to imagine her being attracted to Snape as well.

Meanwhile, I just finished chapter 14. Not much else to say so far, though I'm sure I'll post more later on.

Haha, I also didn't realize how similar they looked. That would indeed give more credence to the Severus/Hermione ship. Personally, I am not a fan of that ship, but purely because they've known each other since one was 11 and the other was in his 30s. Had they not known each other as child and adult and were they only introduced to each other as adults, then I would probably ship them (for me this also applies to Severus/Harry. The fact that they've known each other in a fashion where one was a child and the other an adult makes it uncomfortable for me to imagine them in a (romantic) relationship, even when both are adults, considering their history. And, for Severus/Harry specifically, I don't ship them, but that is because I don't see those two being attracted towards one another in any way).

I don't mind stories where Hermione has a crush on Snape, though. I've seen that in some fanfic and as long as Snape doesn't reciprocate, then that's fine by me. In stories were Snape is revealed to be on the good to the trio before his death (like in your Veritas Omnia Vincit @heatherlly), I find it to be very likely that Hermione would possibly develop a slight crush (one of the comments on that fanfic of yours I mentioned actually states that Hermione is possibly having a crush on Snape). Considering Snape matches Krum's physical description very well and the fact that Snape is very intelligent, a bookworm and very studious like her (Never understood why she went with Ron, those two just do not match in my book).

Also, my preferred fanon version of Lily is the one where she shares a lot of her personality traits with Hermione: studious, bookworm, etc. So yeah, I think that also says a lot.😂

The Gestalt Prince, Naaga and BitterBrit have reacted to this post.
The Gestalt PrinceNaagaBitterBrit
PreviousPage 13 of 14Next