Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Weekly Discussion: Favoritism

PreviousPage 21 of 25Next

A choice I found weird was Severus not punishing Trio after they stole ingredients from his private store. Severus was assured of them stealing it in class, and later Hermione had a bad Polyjuice accident with cat hair, which confirmed it. Yet he let them get away with it and only invoked it again while trying to interrogate Harry for stealing potion ingredients again from his private stores in the Goblet of Fire.

Tldr: Severus didn't punish Trio for deliberately causing a potion accident and stealing ingredients from his private stores in CoS.

Heatherlly, Naaga and 4 other users have reacted to this post.
HeatherllyNaagaTimeLadyJamieDark AngelBitterBritSalvyus

@kris that's actually something that bothered me as well. I assumed that Dumbledore ordered him to let it be and in Hermione's case getting turned into a cat and later petrified is punishment enough.

But for real, I always assumed that Dumbledore convinced Snape to bat an eye at the trio's shenanigans and see it as a sort of training or preparation for the future to make them bold and cunning. The little tests from first year were a joke and no adult wizard would be stopped by them unless it is someone with Lockhart levels of incompetence but they brought the trio together and established a future pattern. Hermione being the brain of the group and researching anything and everything, Ron as the loyal friend who always has Harry's back and Harry who is always ready to play the hero.

The Gestalt Prince, Krystal and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
The Gestalt PrinceKrystalNaagaSalvyus

@darkangel I think it's because Severus didn't have concrete proof against them. He couldn't prove charges against the trio, and from my understanding of the Hogwarts system, teachers don't act against students without having true evidence or catching them red-handed in the act. Like Severus threatened Harry and accused him of stealing ingredients in GOF to get a confession to act against him because otherwise he didn't have evidence against Harry.

The Gestalt Prince, Naaga and Dark Angel have reacted to this post.
The Gestalt PrinceNaagaDark Angel
Quote from Krystal on August 23, 2023, 1:57 pm

@darkangel I think it's because Severus didn't have concrete proof against them. He couldn't prove charges against the trio, and from my understanding of the Hogwarts system, teachers don't act against students without having true evidence or catching them red-handed in the act. Like Severus threatened Harry and accused him of stealing ingredients in GOF to get a confession to act against him because otherwise he didn't have evidence against Harry.

Good point, but do you think there are absolutely no wards on the potions storeroom? Given that there may be highly dangerous ingredients that shouldn't be handled without supervision?

And we are talking about a school that has sentient portraits, why not have one on classroom to help the teacher observe suspicious behavior. In the case of the polyjuice mishap, Hermione's transformation gone wrong would be proof enough. Certain ingredients get stolen form the storeroom and a while later a student ends up in the hospital wing, strangely the ingredients that were stolen are required for a particular potion that transforms the appearance of a person and that's exactly what happened to said student...coincidence?

But true, it good be that the school refuses to act unless there's concrete proof

Quote from Dark Angel on August 23, 2023, 2:11 pm
Quote from Krystal on August 23, 2023, 1:57 pm

Good point, but do you think there are absolutely no wards on the potions storeroom? Given that there may be highly dangerous ingredients that shouldn't be handled without supervision?

And we are talking about a school that has sentient portraits, why not have one on classroom to help the teacher observe suspicious behavior. In the case of the polyjuice mishap, Hermione's transformation gone wrong would be proof enough. Certain ingredients get stolen form the storeroom and a while later a student ends up in the hospital wing, strangely the ingredients that were stolen are required for a particular potion that transforms the appearance of a person and that's exactly what happened to said student...coincidence?

But true, it good be that the school refuses to act unless there's concrete proof

Wards is actually a fanon concept; I searched for it in books only to find that there is no mention of the word 'ward'. It's astonishing how well rooted it has become in fanon.

Yeah, I truly believe schools refuse to punish students without concrete proof. So unless Trio is caught stealing ingredients, making Polyjuice, or confessing it, they won't be punished.

The Gestalt Prince, Naaga and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
The Gestalt PrinceNaagaDark AngelSalvyus

Oh like the blood wards. Canon only mentions the protection granted by Lily's sacrifice and fanon has come up with the blood wards which are literally everywhere 😂

I read the books in German and fanfics in English, so I thought the Germans simply failed to properly translate it until I found out much later that the blood wards are a fanon creation.

Honestly, I have read so many fanfics at this point...I think I  don't even know anymore what canon is 😂

Quote from Dark Angel on August 23, 2023, 2:38 pm

Oh like the blood wards. Canon only mentions the protection granted by Lily's sacrifice and fanon has come up with the blood wards which are literally everywhere 😂

I read the books in German and fanfics in English, so I thought the Germans simply failed to properly translate it until I found out Mich later that the blood wards are a fanon creation.

Honestly, I have read so many fanfics at this point...I think o don't even know anymore what canon is 😂

I have been rereading the books for the last few months, and it's astonishing how many things have become so rooted in fandom that even authors don't know what's canon. 😂

The Gestalt Prince, Naaga and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
The Gestalt PrinceNaagaDark AngelSalvyus

28. What are Severus Snape's Best and Worst Traits?

Heatherlly, Krystal and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
HeatherllyKrystalNaagaDark AngelSalvyus

Severus's best traits are: bravery, loyalty, cunning, and intelligence.

Severus's worst traits: bullying, cruelty, pettiness, and bitterness

The Gestalt Prince, Naaga and 4 other users have reacted to this post.
The Gestalt PrinceNaagaTimeLadyJamieDark AngelBitterBritSalvyus
Quote from The Gestalt Prince on September 3, 2023, 5:06 pm

28. What are Severus Snape's Best and Worst Traits?

Best: loyalty

Worst: loyalty

The Gestalt Prince, Krystal and 8 other users have reacted to this post.
The Gestalt PrinceKrystalNaagaWinter's ShadeTimeLadyJamieDark AngelBitterBritSalvyusDONZain
PreviousPage 21 of 25Next