Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

The Wizarding World: Questions, Theories, Speculation

Page 1 of 5Next

The world of Harry Potter might be well developed, but there are plenty of things that are never clarified, left for us to speculate about, or just don't make sense. This thread is a place for us to discuss those mysteries (and inconsistencies), offer up our own headcanons, etc.

My first question: how the hell is the Wizarding world able to hide the existence of dragons? I can suspend disbelief for most things, but that one is a bit of a stretch. 😂

mmlf, The Gestalt Prince and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
mmlfThe Gestalt PrinceKrystalNaaga

Maybe they sky above Muggle areas is charmed so that dragons look and sound like birds or airplanes?

Heatherlly, Krystal and Naaga have reacted to this post.
HeatherllyKrystalNaaga

Let's consider the situation happening in our actual world: Would you believe that the flying dragon-like thing in the sky is an actual dragon? As opposed to some weird balloon stunt (no relation to the current political events, I was rather referring to the fact that you can customize the looks of balloons quite extensively), or maybe a trick of the light? As you don't see anything about it in the news afterwards, you convince yourself that you must have been mistaken. We're pretty good at gaslighting ourselves about disbelieving things that we don't understand.

Meanwhile, if said dragon ends up messing with Muggles close-up, Obliviators would be dispatched to take care of it. At that point it's more of a local problem and thus feasible to address.

Something I always wondered on a personal level: do you think the Death Eater regime left the Obliviation Squad alone? I can't see them willing to endanger the Statute, at least not until Voldemort himself orders it, after having fully suppressed the magical resistance moment (I could see him go after Muggles afterwards, but not before then). Doing so would probably call unwanted attention to Britain on an international level  from the ICW, given the nature of the Statute of Secrecy.

Heatherlly, The Gestalt Prince and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
HeatherllyThe Gestalt PrinceKrystalNaaga

That's a fair point. There's a lot of unexplained phenomena in our world, and most people who claim to see supernatural and/or out of the ordinary things are assumed to be intoxicated, mentally ill, or straight up lying. Thousands of people have claimed to see ghosts, though their existence has never been proven. Same with UFOs, cryptids, etc.

I guess I just wish it would've been explained more fully, like tying it in with a Muggle urban legend or something.

The Gestalt Prince, Krystal and Naaga have reacted to this post.
The Gestalt PrinceKrystalNaaga

Imagine seeing something wizard-related on "Ancient Aliens"

Heatherlly, Krystal and Naaga have reacted to this post.
HeatherllyKrystalNaaga

I've been wondering the origins of lycanthropy in-universe. With the addition of Cursed Child and the Fantastic Beasts franchise, there's a concept that appears: the blood malediction. In Cursed Child, it kills Draco's wife when she's in her early to mid-30s, while in Fantastic Beasts, it's responsible for permanently transforming Nagini from a woman to a snake.

One thing about Nagini's transformations is that they're involuntary to a point, and she sort of takes on snake-like behaviors when transformed. Is it possible that lycanthropy is a transmittable blood malediction?

Krystal and Naaga have reacted to this post.
KrystalNaaga
Quote from The Gestalt Prince on February 26, 2023, 8:47 pm

Is it possible that lycanthropy is a transmittable blood malediction?

I don't know about Cursed Child or Fantastic Beasts, though I always assumed it was transmitted via bite. That's what happened to Lupin, isn't it?

That's correct, yeah. In Cursed Child and Fantastic Beasts, it's a genetic condition, and from what we know regarding lycanthropy, it's possible for the offspring of a werewolf to inherit lycanthropy; in fact, when werewolves mate while in their transformed state, they produce fully-wolf offspring, which are noted for their high intelligence and relatively non-aggressive behavior. If it can be inherited from werewolf parents, then it may be that it would be similar, but not exactly like, what's described in Cursed Child or Fantastic Beasts.

Krystal and Naaga have reacted to this post.
KrystalNaaga

While I personally wouldn't treat CC or FB as canon, there's nothing wrong with incorporating those elements if you like them. It's good to have more well developed lore for any magical creature, doubly so if it's one you're planning to write about in depth.

I thought Astoria's case was an unrelated bloodline curse/illness? Not the Maledictus?

Heatherlly, The Gestalt Prince and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
HeatherllyThe Gestalt PrinceKrystalNaaga
Page 1 of 5Next