Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

The Wizarding World: Questions, Theories, Speculation

PreviousPage 5 of 5
Quote from Dark Angel on November 4, 2023, 4:06 am

But I'm wondering, what convinces Voldenort to mark someone? Not everyone is granted that "honor,"  Fenrir for example did not receive a mark, despite probably having committed enough atrocities. I don't know whether that's because he is seen as a lesser being for being a creature or he hasn't done enough to gain Voldemort's trust.

Snape is a half-blood and is marked, so being a pureblood does not seem to be a necessity. I guess utility plays a part. Snape brought Voldemort the prophecy and Peter revealed the Potter's location and later on proved himself the most loyal and useful of the Dark Lord's followers by resurrecting him.

Is it doing just anything that proves useful or is there more to it? I sometimes think that it does involve some sort of gruesome test or the like which Rowling purposefully left out because of younger audiences.

Greyback was with Voldemort because their goals aligned, he wasn't loyal to Voldemort per se and only in for himself. And he was leader of Werewolf faction aligned with Voldemort, he wasn't a Death Eater by definition nor he was Voldemort's servant.

I agree about Utility part but Dark Mark was largely unknown among common folks so it wasn't a definite proof. I don't think there was any gruesome task because Peter Pettigrew of all people got one.

The Gestalt Prince, Krystal and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
The Gestalt PrinceKrystalDark AngelJaySMSalvyus

I wonder if Voldemort had to re-mark his Death Eaters every time they went to their vaults and passed through the Thief’s Downfall before they figured out the cause of its disappearance.

The Gestalt Prince and Naaga have reacted to this post.
The Gestalt PrinceNaaga
Quote from JaySM on February 19, 2024, 8:44 am

I wonder if Voldemort had to re-mark his Death Eaters every time they went to their vaults and passed through the Thief’s Downfall before they figured out the cause of its disappearance.

What? Why? I don't think Goblins had any anti-Death eater policies?

The Gestalt Prince and JaySM have reacted to this post.
The Gestalt PrinceJaySM
Quote from Naaga on February 19, 2024, 11:31 am

I think Hermione said that the Dark Mark was a protean charm branded into the skin. The Thief’s Downfall is able to remove all enchantments and concealments so I think this would qualify for removal if the skin were exposed.

Heatherlly, The Gestalt Prince and Naaga have reacted to this post.
HeatherllyThe Gestalt PrinceNaaga
Quote from JaySM on February 19, 2024, 3:32 pm

I think Hermione said that the Dark Mark was a protean charm branded into the skin. The Thief’s Downfall is able to remove all enchantments and concealments so I think this would qualify for removal if the skin were exposed.

Hermione didn't say that, as far as I've seen. It is only theoretically suspected that dark mark has protean charm but nothing was confirmed.

And there were plenty of rich pureblood DEs like Lucius Malfoy who regularly visited Gringotts yet they had dark mark intact while Voldemort summoned them in the graveyard. Voldemort isn't someone who'd let go of his branded servants and definitely made dark mark bound till death.

If dark mark could've been removed like this, traitors and DEs who claimed imperius excuse would've removed it through Thief's Downfall long ago.

Heatherlly, The Gestalt Prince and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
HeatherllyThe Gestalt PrinceBitterBritJaySMSalvyus

Yeah, and it's worth mentioning that what Voldemort was capable of went far beyond ordinary magic. He would've had the power (and every reason) to ensure that the DM was undetectable.

The Gestalt Prince, Naaga and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
The Gestalt PrinceNaagaBitterBritJaySMSalvyus
Quote from Naaga on February 20, 2024, 12:26 am
Quote from JaySM on February 19, 2024, 3:32 pm

Hermione didn't say that, as far as I've seen. It is only theoretically suspected that dark mark has protean charm but nothing was confirmed.

And there were plenty of rich pureblood DEs like Lucius Malfoy who regularly visited Gringotts yet they had dark mark intact while Voldemort summoned them in the graveyard. Voldemort isn't someone who'd let go of his branded servants and definitely made dark mark bound till death.

If dark mark could've been removed like this, traitors and DEs who claimed imperius excuse would've removed it through Thief's Downfall long ago.

Excerpt from the book:

“There was a murmur of assent and everybody moved forward to collect one from the basket. Harry looked sideways at Hermione. “You know what these remind me of?”

“No, what’s that?”

“The Death Eaters’ scars. Voldemort touches one of them, and all their scars burn, and they know they’ve got to join him.”

“Well . . . yes,” said Hermione quietly. “That is where I got the idea . . . but you’ll notice I decided to engrave the date on bits of metal rather than on our members’ skin . . .”

“Yeah . . . I prefer your way,” said Harry, grinning, as he slipped his Galleon into his pocket. “I suppose the only danger with these is that we might accidentally spend them.””

Either way, @heatherlly might be right. It would be hilarious though if in order for the mark to be more permanent, the earlier Death Eaters had prototypes of the mark that were washed away from the skin with Thief’s Downfall. I could picture an annoyed Voldemort altering the spell to be more permanent.

Heatherlly, The Gestalt Prince and 4 other users have reacted to this post.
HeatherllyThe Gestalt PrinceNaagaYampamBitterBritSalvyus
PreviousPage 5 of 5