Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Harry Potter Rants

PreviousPage 6 of 8Next

Why are Snaters so fixated on discrediting Snape's skills? Do these people know that you can dislike a character AND still acknowledge their talents?

A few weeks ago, I came across a post where some people were accusing Snape of stealing Regulus's spells and taking credit for them. (I'm not sure how he was taking credits for them given that Snape kept most of his inventions secret)

And now I kept seeing Snaters claiming that Lily was better than him at potion and he was simply stealing her notes 💀 He was literally a potion master, morons. He wouldn't need to steal her notes to excel in the subject, especially considering how well he performed after their friendship ended.

Also, this headcanon is VERY flawed because Snape and Lily stopped being friends in their fifth year at Hogwarts, while the Advanced Potion Making book was a N.E.W.T. level textbook, which was typically used by sixth and seventh-year students.

"But Slughorn praised and mentioned about Lily more than Snape."

Because she was his favourite student? Because my fav preferred to keep a low profile and avoid attention on himself? Do you genuinely think Snape enjoyed showing off his skills to others? Should I remind you that he invented several spells and kept them secret from other people? (except Levicorpus, but we never found out how the spell was discovered by others)

Are y'all THAT intimidated by Snape's talents that you feel the need to erase them? First, his spells, and now his potion skills. What will you accuse him of stealing next? His poetic skill? And who is he stealing from this time? James?

The Gestalt Prince, Krystal and Motanul Negru have reacted to this post.
The Gestalt PrinceKrystalMotanul Negru

I've never heard the case that Snape stole ideas from Regulus... but what the fuck?

As far as Lily and her potions skill goes, yeah, they were both good at Potions, but that doesn't mean Snape stole from her. There's a line Snape gives where he passively looks down on someone who gives an answer close to verbatim to the textbook, which shows he clearly has no respect for regurgitation. The way he describes the Dark Arts shows that he sees it as an ever-growing field, showing his love for study and exploration in the field. Given how intimately he knows Potions and the Dark Arts, and given that he's invented Dark charms, it stands to reason he would also study and develop potions and recipes.

As for poetry.... James's poetry skills are limited to his ability to write Lily's initials contained within a doodle of a snitch.

Heatherlly, Krystal and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
HeatherllyKrystalNaagaMotanul Negru

I've never heard the case that Snape stole ideas from Regulus... but what the fuck?

They are typical Snater behaviour which lately involves downplaying Snape's role and abilities and giving them over to Regulus. Regulus in marauder stan fics is basically Snape 2.0 in role without having negative relationship with their stans.

Given how intimately he knows Potions and the Dark Arts, and given that he's invented Dark charms, it stands to reason he would also study and develop potions and recipes.

Yeah, I talked about it in last meta where Slughorn indirectly acknowledged Snape as the superior potioneer in front of Harry.

As for poetry.... James's poetry skills are limited to his ability to write Lily's initials contained within a doodle of a snitch.

James's poetry skills also includes coming up with juvenile insults. 😹

Heatherlly, The Gestalt Prince and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
HeatherllyThe Gestalt PrinceKrystalMotanul Negru
Quote from Naaga on April 16, 2023, 2:28 pm

James's poetry skills also includes coming up with juvenile insults. 😹

I think I have to give Sirius an edge when it comes to insults. He was more verbally abusive and cleverer with his words than James.

Heatherlly, Krystal and Naaga have reacted to this post.
HeatherllyKrystalNaaga

Yeah, James was more a physical bully compared to Sirius who was more verbal bully.

Heatherlly, The Gestalt Prince and Krystal have reacted to this post.
HeatherllyThe Gestalt PrinceKrystal

How do you guys even get exposed to this garbage? Reddit?

The Gestalt Prince, Krystal and Naaga have reacted to this post.
The Gestalt PrinceKrystalNaaga

What I find it always unsettling is the fact that SWM happens after the Shrieking Shack incident, in terms of both James/Sirius' behavior and Lily's behavior.

Either JKR did not consider the degree of atrocity of the Shrieking Shack so much as I do or she intended to portray James and Sirius unremorseful bullies and psychopaths.

It would have made more sense that after the Shrieking Shack, the Marauder's stopped attacking Severus and realized that their behavior crossed the line. This will make Lily's later association with James more understandable as well.

In addition, I think the age of the Marauders generation was unnecessarily too young and makes me doubt that it might been more out of convenience for the sake of calculation (Marauders, Lily and Severus born in 1960 and 1980 for Harry). Making them 3-4 years older will not reduce the tragedy of young people dying during the Wizarding War I, but also I think it will make more sense to explain that Lily fell in love with James while fighting against Voldemort together as members of the Order of Phoenix.

HeatherllyThe Gestalt PrinceKrystalNaaga

I have to agree with you on that sentiment, it's a very uncomfortable truth in the books that I wish wasn't true.

Heatherlly, Krystal and Naaga have reacted to this post.
HeatherllyKrystalNaaga

Yeah, it felt like wish fulfilment from JKR, she I believe based James on her first husband who turned out to be a massive PoS.

Heatherlly, The Gestalt Prince and Krystal have reacted to this post.
HeatherllyThe Gestalt PrinceKrystal
Quote from Naaga on April 16, 2023, 11:00 pm

Yeah, it felt like wish fulfilment from JKR, she I believe based James on her first husband who turned out to be a massive PoS.

Didn't she base *Ron* on her previous husband? Which is why Romione is portrayed dubiously in canon without her seeming to realize it.

HeatherllyThe Gestalt PrinceKrystalNaaga
PreviousPage 6 of 8Next