Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Do you think Severus would be able to love again after Lily?

PreviousPage 2 of 4Next

@charlotterhea That was beautifully articulated. Thank you for sharing. 💚

By the way, you don't need to use content/trigger warnings unless you're posting something graphic (e.g. detailed description of suicide).

The Gestalt Prince, Naaga and CharlotteRhea have reacted to this post.
The Gestalt PrinceNaagaCharlotteRhea

In my opinion, even if Severus had survived the war, he wouldn't have loved anyone else. I want to believe it. I want him to be happy, but I only see his happiness with Lily. That's why I call myself other pairings. Although this woman irritates me sometimes, especially when she is mean to Severus in the fanfic. Then I feel like he doesn't deserve our Severus.

I once read an opinion that Severus is somehow autistic. I think that's the problem. He was fascinated by Lily like a painting.

Severus would feel guilty about Lily's death his whole life anyway.

Therefore: no, Severus was incapable of loving another human being.

Heatherlly, The Gestalt Prince and TimeLadyJamie have reacted to this post.
HeatherllyThe Gestalt PrinceTimeLadyJamie

Snape The moment will come when he can let go of all his burdens, and I think it will be possible if he meets someone he can cherish dearly. Snape may not be able to love others as much as Lily, but he is a person who can cherish those who care for him.

Heatherlly, The Gestalt Prince and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
HeatherllyThe Gestalt PrinceNaagaTimeLadyJamieRobaku90

By the way, you don't need to use content/trigger warnings unless you're posting something graphic (e.g. detailed description of suicide).

Good to know! I admit, I wasn't sure anymore when I wrote the post and was too lazy to check the rules so I just added the warning. XD

Heatherlly, The Gestalt Prince and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
HeatherllyThe Gestalt PrinceNaagacomet

Kinda redundant since he died. But, in my opinion, he would have been able to love again after the redhead. If and only if, he had a genuine friend who made him realize that how his devotion and love was misplaced because he simply didn't know any better. It would be a long process, starting with utter disbelief, followed by self-reflection, anger and loathing towards the other person. But he would manage it, though the memories would be agonizing, and he might consider himself foolish. I don't know, I am not a psychologist, and this is purely fiction and mere speculation on my part lol.

Naaga and Robaku90 have reacted to this post.
NaagaRobaku90

While I think and know it would be best for Severus to move on and heal and find someone else, I personally don't think he would have been able to do that.

Also canonically speaking too. Severus wasn't known to move on from things. He clung onto the past. It was the person he was. He loved Lily all his life, even after her death, and also held onto all that remorse and guilt for what happened to her too. I don't see him letting that go. She will always be a part of him forever, that's for sure.

Heatherlly, The Gestalt Prince and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
HeatherllyThe Gestalt PrinceNaagacometRobaku90
Quote from Sam on March 12, 2024, 1:19 pm

Kinda redundant since he died. But, in my opinion, he would have been able to love again after the redhead. If and only if, he had a genuine friend who made him realize that how his devotion and love was misplaced because he simply didn't know any better. It would be a long process, starting with utter disbelief, followed by self-reflection, anger and loathing towards the other person. But he would manage it, though the memories would be agonizing, and he might consider himself foolish. I don't know, I am not a psychologist, and this is purely fiction and mere speculation on my part lol.

What possible reason would he have to feel anger toward Lily, let alone hatred? I mean, I can see him being angry that he was unable to let go for so long and all the misery that caused, but how is any of that Lily's fault? She didn't force him to love her. She wasn't responsible for the part he played in her death, the remorse that followed, nor how that shaped his feelings and choices as an adult.

In canon, Severus clearly understands this. He owns his failings and mistakes. We never see him blaming her for his actions, nor does he show any sign of resenting her for choosing someone else. Why? Because his love was neither conditional or selfish. It wasn't based on the assumption that she owed him something, that it was her job to give him what he wanted. He didn't love her with the expectation that he would get anything out of it, nor that she was obligated to make him happy. He just loved her.

Does that mean he couldn't have moved on had he survived? Not necessarily. I do think it might've been possible, though not for the reasons you suggested. I think that's a cynical take, a fundamental misunderstanding of his character. He's neither a coward or a misogynist, both of which would be necessary for him to come to that conclusion (i.e. anger and hatred toward Lily). It effectively erases the very best part of his character, which is his ability to love unconditionally and without judgment.

Ironically, it wasn't that love that made it impossible for him to heal. It was hatred, anger, grief and loathing, all of which were directed at himself. The solution to that isn't to make him hate another person, particularly someone who doesn't deserve it. The solution would be for him to forgive himself for his own choicef, up to and including the part he played in her death.

Assuming he could do that, it would change his love for her as well. It wouldn't erase it, but I do think it could become something more healthy, a source of bittersweet nostalgia rather than visceral pain.

SanctuaryAngel, The Gestalt Prince and 5 other users have reacted to this post.
SanctuaryAngelThe Gestalt PrinceNaagaTimeLadyJamiecometBitterBritRobaku90
Quote from TimeLadyJamie on March 12, 2024, 7:05 pm

While I think and know it would be best for Severus to move on and heal and find someone else, I personally don't think he would have been able to do that.

Also canonically speaking too. Severus wasn't known to move on from things. He clung onto the past. It was the person he was. He loved Lily all his life, even after her death, and also held onto all that remorse and guilt for what happened to her too. I don't see him letting that go. She will always be a part of him forever, that's for sure.

@timeladyjamie

True.

Heatherlly, The Gestalt Prince and Naaga have reacted to this post.
HeatherllyThe Gestalt PrinceNaaga
Quote from Heatherlly on March 13, 2024, 2:17 am
Quote from Sam on March 12, 2024, 1:19 pm

What possible reason would he have to feel anger toward Lily, let alone hatred? I mean, I can see him being angry that he was unable to let go for so long and all the misery that caused, but how is any of that Lily's fault? She didn't force him to love her. She wasn't responsible for the part he played in her death, the remorse that followed, nor how that shaped his feelings and choices as an adult.

In canon, Severus clearly understands this. He owns his failings and mistakes. We never see him blaming her for his actions, nor does he show any sign of resenting her for choosing someone else. Why? Because his love was neither conditional or selfish. It wasn't based on the assumption that she owed him something, that it was her job to give him what he wanted. He didn't love her with the expectation that he would get anything out of it, nor that she was obligated to make him happy. He just loved her.

Does that mean he couldn't have moved on had he survived? Not necessarily. I do think it might've been possible, though not for the reasons you suggested. I think that's a cynical take, a fundamental misunderstanding of his character. He's neither a coward or a misogynist, both of which would be necessary for him to come to that conclusion (i.e. anger and hatred toward Lily). It effectively erases the very best part of his character, which is his ability to love unconditionally and without judgment.

Ironically, it wasn't that love that made it impossible for him to heal. It was hatred, anger, grief and loathing, all of which were directed at himself. The solution to that isn't to make him hate another person, particularly someone who doesn't deserve it. The solution would be for him to forgive himself for his own choicef, up to and including the part he played in her death.

Assuming he could do that, it would change his love for her as well. It wouldn't erase it, but I do think it could become something more healthy, a source of bittersweet nostalgia rather than visceral pain.

@heatherlly

Beautifully written! It's a pity that Severus couldn't forgive himself and didn't love himself. He thus lost his chance at happiness.

HeatherllyThe Gestalt PrinceNaagaTimeLadyJamie
Quote from TimeLadyJamie on March 12, 2024, 7:05 pm

Yes, during the time we see him in the books he was that person. But had he really a choice? He tried to move on and let Lily go after their friendship fell apart - and that ultimately led to him causing her death. Then he promised to protect her son and was once again directly bound to Lily and what he had done because his sole life goal was tied to her. He couldn't even let his traumas go because he was forced to live in the same place they happened.
I don't think he had a real chance to let his past go and move on, not as long as Voldemort was still a thing and Harry had to be protected. But after that? That would insinuate that Severus isn't able to change as a person and we've seen him change dramatically, even in the small space he had.

HeatherllyThe Gestalt PrinceNaagaTimeLadyJamie
PreviousPage 2 of 4Next