Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

New Harry Potter TV Series in Production

PreviousPage 2 of 5Next

Welp, it's now official.

Heatherlly and TimeLadyJamie have reacted to this post.
HeatherllyTimeLadyJamie

oh boy. Welp, time to see how it goes

Heatherlly, Krystal and TimeLadyJamie have reacted to this post.
HeatherllyKrystalTimeLadyJamie

You know, I'm just going to let myself be excited about this. I'm going to withhold any judgments or concerns until I actually see it, and in the meantime, I'm going to assume that they'll do a good job.

On that noteโ€ฆ

WE'RE GETTING NEW HARRY POTTER CONTENT, INCLUDING A NEW SNAPE!

I don't know about you, but I can't fucking WAIT. ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

The Gestalt Prince, Krystal and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
The Gestalt PrinceKrystalNaagaTimeLadyJamie

I want a really good actor playing the book canon Snape, hoping the book canon vibes in series including book canon characters.

Heatherlly, The Gestalt Prince and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
HeatherllyThe Gestalt PrinceKrystalTimeLadyJamie

Which actor do you want to see playing Snape?

Some suggest Adam Driver and I can totally see that.

Heatherlly, The Gestalt Prince and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
HeatherllyThe Gestalt PrinceKrystalNaagaTimeLadyJamie

I don't know if Driver can pull it off. Appearance-wise, he looks perfect for the role, but the main thing is mannerisms and delivery. Also, if he can do a British accent

Heatherlly, Krystal and Naaga have reacted to this post.
HeatherllyKrystalNaaga

I feel they will mostly if not cast British actors. I also want someone new to play Snape, someone unknown yet fabulous actor who can do justice to the book Snape.

Heatherlly, The Gestalt Prince and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
HeatherllyThe Gestalt PrinceKrystalMotanul Negru
Quote from Naaga on April 16, 2023, 10:55 pm

I also want someone new to play Snape, someone unknown yet fabulous actor who can do justice to the book Snape.

This. As much as I love Adam Driver, he's too well known, and I don't think he'd be right for the part.

The Gestalt Prince, Krystal and Naaga have reacted to this post.
The Gestalt PrinceKrystalNaaga

I feel for this series they will go for color, ethnic, religious and sexual diversity. So I won't be surprised to see Black Hermione, Indian Harry, French Draco, Gay Sirius, Welsh Lupin, Italian Snape and so on in the new series.

Heatherlly and The Gestalt Prince have reacted to this post.
HeatherllyThe Gestalt Prince
Quote from Krystal on April 17, 2023, 8:38 am

I feel for this series they will go for color, ethnic, religious and sexual diversity. So I won't be surprised to see Black Hermione, Indian Harry, French Draco, Gay Sirius, Welsh Lupin, Italian Snape and so on in the new series.

I'm all for diversity where appropriate, but most of these examples would directly contradict canon. You'd have to rewrite Harry's entire back story to make him Indian, tossing aside well-established aspects of his ancestry. Lily's red hair/green eyes are a core part of her character, features that have become iconic over the years. James comes from a very old pureblood British family, one that goes back for centuries. I'd make a similar point regarding Draco, whose ancestry is even more central to his character. Pureblood British Wizarding society is very insular, especially among the most privileged, which is why the Blacks and Malfoys hold the views they do and are so susceptible to Voldemort's influence.

As for Italian Snapeโ€ฆ his father is a British, working-class Muggle with a last name that reflects that. The best they could do is make him half Italian through his mother, though even that would be a stretch. It's already been established that Eileen attended Hogwarts โ€“ assuming the Princes were an Italian family, why wouldn't she have attended a school in Italy or at least continental Europe?

Point is, the series is set in the UK in the 90s, which was predominantly white and British. Obviously, there are diverse characters (Cho Chang, Kingsley, Parvati and Padma Patil), and I wouldn't mind seeing a few more of those, but I also don't want the producers to go overboard. By "overboard", I mean taking central characters who already have strong identities and back stories (some of which are very relevant to canon) and reinventing them simply for the sake of being inclusive. Diversity needs to make sense, something that fits the original story/characters without fundamentally changing them.

On that note, I wouldn't mind a black or mixed race Hermione. There's plenty of room for that given her background, which is largely unknown. I can see at least one of her parents being a first or second generation immigrant, perhaps from Nigeria or India or somewhere similar. That would also dovetail nicely with her focus on academics, as (statistically speaking) immigrants from Africa and Asia are often more studious/educationally driven than their white counterparts.

The Gestalt Prince, Krystal and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
The Gestalt PrinceKrystalNaagaYampamTimeLadyJamie
PreviousPage 2 of 5Next